X-Men Origins: Wolverine

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/35658

AICN is reporting that Ryan Reynolds will be Deadpool in a cameo role. Maybe setting things up for a Deadpool film...

I'm probably alone on this, but I always really enjoyed Deadpool as a character. Especially in the Kelly/McGuiness days. Reynolds is a good choice for the part too. The full red costume won't transfer at all to the big screen (it's a spidey rip anyway).

I am seeing a lot of characters starting to pile up. Hopefully the story is still given the bulk of the focus.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd rather see Reynolds play the Flash. I hope this doesn't preclude him from that.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will.i.am is John Wraith in Wolverine
Source: Variety
February 20, 2008

20th Century Fox has cast Black Eyed Peas frontman Will.i.am in his first film role as John Wraith in X-Men: Wolverine.

He'll be joining Hugh Jackman (Wolverine), Liev Schreiber (Sabretooth), Danny Huston (William Stryker), Ryan Reynolds (Deadpool), Taylor Kitsch (Gambit) and Lynn Collins (Silver Fox) in the film opening May 1, 2009.

Wraith is a mutant who has the power to teleport, and is another test subject of the Weapon X program that created Wolverine and other mercenaries.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'd rather see Reynolds play the Flash. I hope this doesn't preclude him from that.

That too would be fun. I like how Michael Rosenbaum does it too.

Wraith is a mutant who has the power to teleport, and is another test subject of the Weapon X program that created Wolverine and other mercenaries.

Who will have a 2 minute scene at the end of which he teleports half in/half out of a wall, ending his participation in the program.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monaghan is Blackwing in Wolverine

Source: Just Jared
February 21, 2008

You must be registered for see images attach
Just Jared reports that former "Lost" star Dominic Monaghan will play Barnell Bohusk (AKA Blackwing) in 20th Century Fox's X-Men: Wolverine.

Barnell's body changes into that of a humanoid-bird form, with a beaked face, bulbous eyes, wing-like arms that give him the ability to fly (albeit clumsily), talons on his hands and feet, and double-jointed knees. In mutant form, Blackwing also possesses heightened agility, and he may possess heightened senses and a lighter skeletal structure like the avian X-Man formerly known as the Angel.

He'll be joining Hugh Jackman (Wolverine), Liev Schreiber (Sabretooth), Ryan Reynolds (Deadpool), Taylor Kitsch (Gambit), Will.i.am (Kestrel), Danny Huston (William Stryker) and Lynn Collins (Silver Fox) in the Gavin Hood-directed pic, opening May 1, 2009.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Barnell's body changes into that of a humanoid-bird form, with a beaked face, bulbous eyes, wing-like arms that give him the ability to fly (albeit clumsily), talons on his hands and feet, and double-jointed knees. In mutant form, Blackwing also possesses heightened agility, and he may possess heightened senses and a lighter skeletal structure like the avian X-Man formerly known as the Angel.

Worked as a character in Xmen for all of 10 seconds. Unless some screenwriter had a great idea how to include this guy, I submit a conditional "WTF?".

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The whole Wolverine Origin story was a good idea to start with, but there are way, way too many superheroes in this film already. Didn't anyone learn from Spider-Man 3?

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Wouldn't he actually be Beak in the movie?

Beak is only Blackwing in the New Warriors because he wears an advanced body suit that gives him the ability to fly, superhuman strength, and energy blasts, as well as giving him enhanced protection.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Source: Just Jared
February 21, 2008

You must be registered for see images attach
Just Jared reports that former "Lost" star Dominic Monaghan will play Barnell Bohusk (AKA Blackwing) in 20th Century Fox's X-Men: Wolverine.

He'll be joining Hugh Jackman (Wolverine), Liev Schreiber (Sabretooth), Ryan Reynolds (Deadpool), Taylor Kitsch (Gambit), Will.i.am (Kestrel), Danny Huston (William Stryker) and Lynn Collins (Silver Fox) in the Gavin Hood-directed pic, opening May 1, 2009.

Ohhhh man. I thought I was finally rid of that annoying little Brit when they killed him off on Lost. I've got $5 that he sings "C'mon Everybody" at some point in the movie.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suspect other than Logan and Sabertooth, the others will be glorified extras.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Other than reading a few comics, and loving the 90's cartoon and movies, I don't know much about Wolverine's origin.

That said, was Gambit around (and together with Wolverine) at the time of his origin?

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Other than reading a few comics, and loving the 90's cartoon and movies, I don't know much about Wolverine's origin.

That said, was Gambit around (and together with Wolverine) at the time of his origin?
Much of his origin in the comics remains a mystery, even to Logan. They're revealing more and more all the time and involving more and more characters, (but I think that's a mistake...they mystery surrounding him is part of the allure).

I hope this movie doesn't retcon his comic book origins.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Much of his origin in the comics remains a mystery, even to Logan. They're revealing more and more all the time and involving more and more characters, (but I think that's a mistake...they mystery surrounding him is part of the allure).

I hope this movie doesn't retcon his comic book origins.

I just thought that Gambit and Wolverine weren't around each other in the "origin" of Wolverine. Seems like a wierd character to add in Gambit, although I admit he is one of my favs.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just thought that Gambit and Wolverine weren't around each other in the "origin" of Wolverine. Seems like a wierd character to add in Gambit, although I admit he is one of my favs.
You might be right, you might not.

Wolverine's origin is clouded and always being added to, so they could easily add him, I think. That was my only point.

I'll be honest, though. I never cared for Gambt, so I don't really know much of HIS origin (other than the fact that he was obviously born with his power, being a mutant and all).

Wolverine IS a mutant, but it's his mutant healing power that made him a candidate for the Weapon X project. The claws and his metal skeleton aren't part of his mutant origin, and in his "story" are actually quite new. In the comics he seems to be more than 100 years old.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Pariah, I thought Wolverine's background became public knowledge with the 'Origins' comic book, no? I mean, I haven't read it or anything, but I thought that's what it covered.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah, I thought Wolverine's background became public knowledge with the 'Origins' comic book, no? I mean, I haven't read it or anything, but I thought that's what it covered.
There was a mini-series called "Origin" that covered his youth, around the time he discovered he had powers, which, now that I think back on it "retconed" his mutant power to include bone-like claws. ....or, maybe that was retconned when Magneto stripped him ofhis adamantium? I dunno. Anyway, that series didn't even touch about anything about the weapon x project.

Then there's ongoing Origins series; I stopped reading it about 10 issues in. I think the short answer is no, though. It seems to uncover more mysteries with everything it answers (sort of like Lost). The fundemental questions still remain.

EDIT: If you're not in the geek-speak know, "Retcon" means retro-active continuity. It means the writers went back and changed the continuity of, in this case, the Marvel "universe" by changing the backstory.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Henney is Agent Zero in Wolverine
Source: Variety
February 22, 2008

Variety says that Daniel Henney has also joined the cast of 20th Century Fox's X-Men Origins: Wolverine, now filming in New Zealand, Australia and New Orleans.

Henney will portray Agent Zero, a member of the Weapon X program and an expert tracker with lethal marksman skills.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The whole Wolverine Origin story was a good idea to start with, but there are way, way too many superheroes in this film already. Didn't anyone learn from Spider-Man 3?

I'm hoping Pariah's right. I'll take it a step farther and hope only Deadpool and Sabertooth get any speaking lines.

dodie53

A. O. II
Reaction score
Deadpool should have some speaking lines,
he's like spiderman who likes to throw some clever banter in the comics.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think they'll all have some lines. Those actors wouldn't sign on if they didn't. I just think they'll be really small parts.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scott Adkins (Undisputed 2) will be Weapon 11, according to Moviehole.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard