WTf? How does this ever happen with a “prop”?

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
That is way way overboard and you know it. Baldwin was not drunk.
Never claimed he was and that's a gross mischaracterization of what I said. You know that. I was comparing one potentially deadly situation with another one where they both don't matter how many times it's been safe in the past. Every time you do either one it's a roll of the dice and the past results do not matter. Complacency kills with both.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Never claimed he was and that's a gross mischaracterization of what I said. You know that. I was comparing one potentially deadly situation with another one where they both don't matter how many times it's been safe in the past. Every time you do either one it's a roll of the dice and the past results do not matter. Complacency kills with both.
Neither situation has anything to do with the other. You don’t have multiple people checking your blood alcohol before you get into the the car do you? Making a conscious choice when drunk to drive a car (which actually isn’t conscious at all) is completely different than being handed a weapon that should have been checked over and over by multiple people before you touched it.

Such a disengenuous comparison to support your point. Plus, Baldwin himself wasn't impaired.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is literally no way to shoot her if he wasn’t pointing it at her? If she was “in the line of fire” as you say then he put her there by pointing it in that direction. Unless as he’s practicing and pulled the trigger she herself just so happened at that second to jump/walk in front of him? Sounds kinda fishy to me....

Any live gun in any situation should be checked to make sure it’s safe.... All guns in any instance should be assumed they are hot until otherwise checked by EVERYONE in line to handle it. Including Baldwin. At the very least he showed gross negligence by grabbing and firing a working handgun without checking it personally and just taking someone’s word for it.
Huh? No, I said that saying he "pointed" the gun at her without context makes it sound like he drew the gun, took aim and pulled the trigger. He was practicing his draw in her general direction per everyone on set. There is NOTHING fishy about this. Most actors depend on the prop team to tell them if a gun is safe. Sounds like the folks on set had a history of negligence. He was told the gun was "cold" which means it's safe. He took the word of the person on set in charge of the guns. Could he have checked himself? Sure...assuming he was trained to recognize the difference between a live round and blank which I seriously doubt.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alec Baldwin might have purposefully shot... the DP? That theory would make Stretch Armstrong blush.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Him being “liberal” has nothing to do with it. On this set alone he had likely handled weapons dozens of times without incident. Why would he think this time would be any different?

Shane’s thoughts are in the right place but they are detached from the reality of the situation. On normal film sets, there are strict protocols. There have been HUNDREDS and THOUSANDS of films made that include firearms. You can count these incidents on one hand. That’s not to say that there should be stricter standards on low budget film sets, but blaming Baldwin here is not looking at the whole situation. There were a lot of things that went wrong on that set WELL before Alec Baldwin was even handed that gun.

i agree with you, so I'm not sure why you're arguing with me. Him being liberal was simply tied in with him having no contact with guns in his private life. I was saying that, though I understood where Shane was coming from, he was holding Baldwin to standards Baldwin couldn't even think to know about.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Negative. Anyone that participates in the handling of a real and functional firearm at any point has a duty to make sure its empty before they pull a trigger. Literally no exceptions. You don't ever take someones word for it. Just because its a movie set is irrelevent. As you can see this is what happens and there is literally no excuse for it. Pure negligence from top right into his hands at the bottom.
Your comment presupposes a bunch of things:

1. Non-gun owners understand the true danger of a gun - they don’t play with those things regularly.

2. Non-gun owners know what to check. I can tell you I’ve handled guns irregularly and I think I know how to check if it’s loaded but wouldn’t know how/nor think to check the mag.

3. You’re a former police officer who has probably spent more time with guns and gun training than 95% of the population. Your perspective on what should happen is likely 100% true but only a 10% appropriate standard for setting expectations of non-gun owners.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I get where you're coming from as a professional who handles guns for a living; I agree, as someone who had to handle guns for a living and used guns for hunting. He's a liberal actor who absolutely never was involved in any kind of gun culture, so all the hard-core attitudes about gun safety were never in his world. He has experts around him to show him what to do and to take care of the firearms for him. If they didn't tell him to check it every time--and I seriously doubt they did--how would he know to do so?
Bingo

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This tweet didn't age well...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Non-gun owners understand the true danger of a gun - they don’t play with those things regularly.
Baldwin may not own one, but for many years he has been talking about how dangerous guns are. He cannot suddenly claim not to know the dangers...

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Baldwin may not own one, but for many years he has been talking about how dangerous guns are. He cannot suddenly claim not to know the dangers...
He trusted experts. Total misrepresentation of his gun stances and the incident

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
It's pretty clear BIM has enough dislike of Baldwin that it's clouding him - may want to recalibrate when your main takeaway from a workplace fatality is the gleeful hope that a celebrity actor may face criminal charges - an outcome that isn't remotely going to happen, even in this insane world

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's pretty clear BIM has enough dislike of Baldwin that it's clouding him - may want to recalibrate when your main takeaway from a workplace fatality is the gleeful hope that a celebrity actor may face criminal charges - an outcome that isn't remotely going to happen, even in this insane world
No gleeful hope, I was responding to one of Ouchie's points about non-gun-owners and their knowledge level regarding the dangers of guns. I was just saying that you can't go around saying guns are dangerous for years, then shoot and kill someone on a movie set and claim you did not know the dangers associated with guns. Common sense.

Sidenote: I've always liked Baldwin as an actor.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
'Rust' shooting victim Halyna Hutchins was just 2 feet away from the gun when Alec Baldwin pulled the trigger

"Rust" cinematographer Halyna Hutchins and director Joel Souza were just two feet away from the muzzle of the gun Alec Baldwin discharged on the movie set last month, the Los Angeles Times reported.

The scene Baldwin was rehearsing at the time of the accident called for the actor to "fast-draw" his gun to shoot at a "rival," the LA Times reported in a timeline of events that cited crew members, Santa Fe County records, permits, and emails, as well as internal communications from the "Rust" production team.

In previous rehearsals, assistant director Dave Halls had not pulled the trigger of the gun, but in his own run-through on October 21, Baldwin did pull the trigger, according to the LA Times.

Reaction score
There is literally no way to shoot her if he wasn’t pointing it at her? If she was “in the line of fire” as you say then he put her there by pointing it in that direction. Unless as he’s practicing and pulled the trigger she herself just so happened at that second to jump/walk in front of him? Sounds kinda fishy to me....

Any live gun in any situation should be checked to make sure it’s safe.... All guns in any instance should be assumed they are hot until otherwise checked by EVERYONE in line to handle it. Including Baldwin. At the very least he showed gross negligence by grabbing and firing a working handgun without checking it personally and just taking someone’s word for it.
This. I was taught this since I was a kid. When you are handed a gun never assume it's not loaded. Even if the person handing it to you says it isn't. Always check. No exceptions. It's the very first thing you do.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
No gleeful hope, I was responding to one of Ouchie's points about non-gun-owners and their knowledge level regarding the dangers of guns. I was just saying that you can't go around saying guns are dangerous for years, then shoot and kill someone on a movie set and claim you did not know the dangers associated with guns. Common sense.

Sidenote: I've always liked Baldwin as an actor.
Except that's not what happen. When did Baldwin claim that he didn't know the dangers associated with guns??

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Except that's not what happen. When did Baldwin claim that he didn't know the dangers associated with guns??
He didn't. It was implied and I was shooting it down. Pardon the pun.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

'Fast and loose': 'Rust' crew member quit over lack of safety day before fatal accident​

A member of the “Rust” crew resigned the day before the fatal shooting of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, telling the production he had a number of concerns, citing a lack of safety meetings and other accidental discharges — including explosives — on set.

:oops:o_O

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Alec Baldwin Reposts ‘Rust’ Crew Member Assertion That Claims Of Unsafe Set Are “Bullsh*t”​

Now he's put his foot in his mouth. Was he producing (bankrolling) this one? If so, he can be held liable.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Now Baldwin is trying to claim he never pulled the trigger. SMH. Guess he is going with the “guns just shoot people on their own” defense.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't understand where this is going.

If a gun isn't loaded and pointed at someone it likely doesn't happen.

It was an accident from what I understand.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Now Baldwin is trying to claim he never pulled the trigger. SMH. Guess he is going with the “guns just shoot people on their own” defense.
That interview was such a propaganda piece for Alec. They even had the piano beat music going in it. I didn't think he came off all that great in it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson