Woohooo, Suns on FoxAZ next season!

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but they said on the post-game stuff on FoxSportsAZ tonight that the Suns' games will be on FoxAZ next season...

Great news for those of us with satellite...Cox9 was such a lame place to put their games.

Mike

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, they said it was announced today or yesterday...I hadn't heard that.

My bad guys! Been out of the loop...when was it announced?

Mike

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Towards the end of last season. Maybe it was just "officially" announced though.

Still, great news. :D

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe originally it was Qwest that was going to carry the Phoenix Suns home games after Cox. They are now out of the digital TV business though.

I have a couple questions for those of you with satellite.

Which system are you on?
What do you like about it?
What don't you like about it?
Does the picture "jump" or "Skip"? I was watching HBO boxing last Saturday night on a friends TV. He has dish network. It was as if it kept missing frames.

I currently have Cox digital, but I really don't like it. And try to figure out whether I would be happier with one of the satellite systems once this Phoenix Suns season is over.

Thanks,
Joe

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
the best part about it is hopefully no more cotton and gary. that has the best the biggest present to the fans this organization has given in years :D

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If you have satelite, do you have to listen to the other team's announcers for some games?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I have DirecTV, which may not be available in Phoenix (?). You get only one feed per game (with some very rare exceptions), so yes, you have to listen the other team's announcers about half the time. I think you usually get the road feed.

To answer Joe Mama's questions:

What do you like about it?

Almost everything.

What don't you like about it?

1. The pay-per-view movies generally suck. There might be one good one, and then all the rest got lousy reviews or didn't even earn major releases. You can pay a monthly fee for HBO and Cinemax and those things, but the "Direct Ticket" pay-per-view films are pretty useless.

2. There's a really annoying "information icon" that pops up on the screen from time to time. I've never figured out how to make it go away. Basically, it's an invitation (if you click the right button on your remote) to get a sales pitch about something. Like we don't get enough advertisements on TV. Just get the damn icon out of my face.

Does the picture "jump" or "Skip"?

Almost never. I might get this problem once or twice a year, and I watch a fair amount.

Of course, sometimes the channel's broadcast screws up, as happened with ESPN during the Suns-Pistons (?) game a few days ago. But that's not the dish system's fault.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
I worked at bestbuy for almost 2 years back in HS. I sold Direct TV systems through out 2001. We had demos set up with every package available (all the movies, nba league pass ect. ect.) The thing that pissed me off was that when home games were on cox 9, I thought I would be able to watch them on the league pass. However, since it was a home game, the satelite would not display it since it was in my area. I was told by my boss that the NBA had a deal with Directv not to show local games, because people could get tickets or something. Probably all ********, but whatever. All I know is that with league pass I couldnt watch home games. BTW - you can tell how much work I actually did, lets just say that bestbuy now has a locked demo on their satelites ;)

I do not know if Dtv carries fox sports or what, that would be tight. I might have to look into it, I hate cox digital cable as well...plus satelite would look so pretty on my new 55" mitsu Hi def. :D

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Right, I should clarify that since I live in the Los Angeles area, Suns games are never blacked out from DirecTV. Well, unless they are against the Lakers or Clippers, but even then it's rare. The local channels here are pretty good about carrying the home teams, even home games, so I'm pretty well covered.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'm not really worried about witch James I'll be able to watch because living just outside of Phoenix I should get home games on Fox Sports and road games on UPN. I was more concerned with things like the picture quality, outages, annoyances, etc.. Thanks again for the info.

BTW I think it's more than likely that Cotton and Gary will be calling the games on Fox Sports next season.

Joe Mama

sunsfn

Reaction score
What do you people not like about cox digital???

I have been thinking of changing to that........thanks.

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joe,

1. DirectTV is the best, don't get Dish. Just haven't heard great things about Dish.

2. If you DO get DirectTV, do your best to spend a little extra money to get a DirectTV/Tivo system with Dual Tuners in it. You'll never watch regular TV the same way after you've had it for a week.

3. Never see anything skip at all for me, all our channels are clear. And now you get local channels for free.

4. Pay-per-view movies arent' that bad, just usually you've seen them at the theatres already.

I don't know what Info thing Eric is talking about, never seen that.

Mike

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by sunsfn
What do you people not like about cox digital???

I have been thinking of changing to that........thanks.

Well, picture-wise, I've heard that cable only has 350 lines of resolution, while satellite has 450 lines...hence, a clearer, crisper picture.

Mike

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chandler Mike
Well, picture-wise, I've heard that cable only has 350 lines of resolution, while satellite has 450 lines...hence, a clearer, crisper picture.

Mike

Sorry to disagree with you mike but all Standard def programming (NTSC) is about 480 lines. Satellite is all digital so you have a picture or you don't, there will be no shadows or RF interference. However, satellite can look bad on larger TVs because they have to compress their signal more than cable. Cox digital cable is only digital above channel 99. Channels 1- 99 are analog.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chandler Mike

Mike

Digital Satellite and Digital Cable are almost identical in their technical specs. Regular cable, of course, is a lot worse that digital anything... :D

As for the little Icon, it's an "I" that pops up in the top left corner, mostly on sports stations like ESPN and Fox Sports. It's annoying but it goes away after a few seconds.

I love DirecTV. The downside? Getting League Pass is great, but it is EXPENSIVE. Basically double your satellite bill for 4 months unless you pay the 160 bucks up front for the service. I don't even bother with pay-per-view, mostly because I usually have all the movies on DVD by the time they get to cable anyway.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I love DirecTV. The downside? Getting League Pass is great, but it is EXPENSIVE.

True, but considering the number of games I watch, it comes out to maybe 75 cents per game. :)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by elindholm
I love DirecTV. The downside? Getting League Pass is great, but it is EXPENSIVE.

True, but considering the number of games I watch, it comes out to maybe 75 cents per game. :)

Well, I certainly don't have the time to watch every game that is on the Pass. If there is a Suns game on, I don't watch any others (except during commercials), and if there isn't a Suns game on, it gives me a chance to do something productive in my evenings... :D

CatBoxBackFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This is great news for us in North Nogales,now I don't have to buy NBA League Pass with Comcast to watch games. For some reason they still black out home games here and I'm 120 miles away,does anyone know what the rule is on that? The NFL has a 75 mile radius but home games are still blacked out here because the Cardinals designated the Tucson area as a black out zone.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
This is all I was waiting for I have Cox now and looking to move to sat after the end of the season... If you have Sat do you get any Cards blacked out games?

JJ Slim

Registered
Reaction score
My understanding is that the blackout range for NBA games is 35 miles. But I'm over that distance too and at least last year anytime a home game was on TNT or TBS we couldn't see it because Cox was carrying it also and we can't even get Cox here. This year though I'm pretty sure all the home games on ESPN and TNT were not blacked out. There may have been one that was but I can't remember for sure. But it does seem that with the new contract with ESPN and TNT that they have relaxed their blackout restrictions.

We do get FoxAZ and watch the Dbacks game on that. So now it looks like next year we'll be able to see all the games.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chaplin

I love DirecTV. The downside? Getting League Pass is great, but it is EXPENSIVE. Basically double your satellite bill for 4 months unless you pay the 160 bucks up front for the service. I don't even bother with pay-per-view, mostly because I usually have all the movies on DVD by the time they get to cable anyway.

Someone told me there is some kind of sports package that gives you over 25 local fox sports stations. You can see most (but not all) games that way without getting the league pass. It's about $15 a month, and you can cancel it any time. (You can cancel it during the offseason) Does anyone know anything more about that?

Stefan

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by SirStefan32
Someone told me there is some kind of sports package that gives you over 25 local fox sports stations. You can see most (but not all) games that way without getting the league pass. It's about $15 a month, and you can cancel it any time. (You can cancel it during the offseason) Does anyone know anything more about that?

Stefan

That's true, but seeing as how the Suns aren't on Fox, that required that I get League Pass instead... :(

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison