Wk6-Arizona Cardinals @ Seattle Seahawks Pregame thread. 10/10/22-10/15/22

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Maybe so. But they are not trades you make if you are punting. If you are punting you pick up the best you can find on the street to fill the holes. You don't trade away draft picks.
Sure you are. For one, because you're Keim, but also because they didn't have enough players to make up positions. They were also late picks. He clearly (right or wrong) looked at the street FAs available and, (again, right or wrong), decided these were better options to plug the holes. Holes he hadn't done a damn thing about previously.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I don't see it.

Keim just isn't a guy that punts on a season. He's shown that in the past.

And why trade your first away for 2 years of cost controlled Hollywood if you're punting on this year? Why trade for Mullen and Ford?

I think they were hoping for more immediate contribution from two 3rd round pass rushers that was just unlikely to happen.
I think they probably KNOW that they aren't competing for a championship but will settle for a playoff appearance and hope they can get hot.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sure you are. For one, because you're Keim, but also because they didn't have enough players to make up positions. They were also late picks. He clearly (right or wrong) looked at the street FAs available and, (again, right or wrong), decided these were better options to plug the holes. Holes he hadn't done a damn thing about previously.

But that makes no sense. You're position is that Keim is punting on this season.

Sending draft picks for guys with 1 or 2 years left on their deals is the exact opposite of what you do if punting.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think they probably KNOW that they aren't competing for a championship but will settle for a playoff appearance and hope they can get hot.

Oh yeah that for sure. But I don't call "not going all out Bills" as punting.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
But that makes no sense. You're position is that Keim is punting on this season.

Sending draft picks for guys with 1 or 2 years left on their deals is the exact opposite of what you do if punting.
You have to field a football team. Going back to when the Hollywood trade was made, it made sense from a general competitiveness perspective and even more so to earn some goodwill with your mercurial quarterback as you enter contract negotiations.

The guard and corner are really trying to get useful bodies in after mismanaging both positions for multiple years. If Hamilton doesn't start a grease fire in his kitchen, unlikely that Mullen comes in a trade.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You have to field a football team. Going back to when the Hollywood trade was made, it made sense from a general competitiveness perspective and even more so to earn some goodwill with your mercurial quarterback as you enter contract negotiations.

The guard and corner are really trying to get useful bodies in after mismanaging both positions for multiple years. If Hamilton doesn't start a grease fire in his kitchen, unlikely that Mullen comes in a trade.

Sure. Have you seen the 2018 team we put out though? That's a punting roster.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Oh yeah that for sure. But I don't call "not going all out Bills" as punting.
No but they absolutely could have signed Murray earlier and extended Humphries earlier to free up space to make a run at a defensive piece.

What is maddening to me about Keim, is that he makes little moves like this pretty routinely, that work out well for the team.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Sure. Have you seen the 2018 team we put out though? That's a punting roster.
Nah bro. We fired/retired Arians because we thought this core was better than he was generating/because Michael was jealous of the press Bruce was getting.

Go back and look at some of the 2018 preseason threads and no one thought we weren't trying to compete. There were weak links for sure (the WR room was fairly ghastly), but the biggest problem was thinking that Sam Bradford could be a good NFL QB. If you're really punting on the season to keep rolling with Yo Gabba Gabbert for another year at 1/3 of the cost.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Which is exactly why those trades upset me. I think he's punting but still making silly trades due to panic at poor roster construction.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn