With James Conner Ailing, Cardinals Claim Running Back

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Kamara, CMC, Chubb, Barkley, etc, all have missed a considerable amount of time due to injury in recent years. Same goes for Barkley. Derrick Henry might be the lone outlier because he’s built like a damn lion & even he missed time a few years ago. Rookie sensation De’Von Achane will be on IR for the next 4 weeks, possibly longer.

Pretending that RBs don’t have the cruelest job in football & are more liable to injuries is even sillier. You have some unreal expectations of expecting these dudes to play 17 games year-after-year like this is a game of Madden where you can turn the injury setting off.
Sure, it's a tough position. Sure, RBs miss time. Sure, JC misses a lot of time and every season. This is all true.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sure, it's a tough position. Sure, RBs miss time. Sure, JC misses a lot of time and every season. This is all true.
The most games he has missed in a season is 6. That’s really a lot to you….?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The argument is that Penny will cost a lot less than Williams and offers better value.

Williams would cost a 3rd or 4th. Penny would cost a low pick swap.
That makes more sense though I disagree on value of any player on a one year contract for this team.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
If you truly believe Moore can be a backup RB to Conner it is you who needs to watch more football. Further you base this on two plays. We don’t agree.
Dude. Just take your L on the "gimmick play" argument instead of trying to redirect to something very subjective. And I base it on Moore having more rushing yards than receiving yards.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Unreal expectations. Like you said, this is all true.
It's unreal to not want to lose your starting RB for large chunks of each season? That take is unreal. Miss some time here or there? Okay. Have a year here or there where you miss more? Okay. Be injury prone every year? Not okay.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Yeah, between a third and a half a season is a lot.
Gonna have to disagree with you on this. You can't predict injuries to RBs, and the random severity is what keeps them out. Is Conner a rare RB who plays every game every year? No. Is he within the average curve for RBs missing time? Pretty close.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It's unreal to not want to lose your starting RB for large chunks of each season? That take is unreal. Miss some time here or there? Okay. Have a year here or there where you miss more? Okay. Be injury prone every year? Not okay.
It isn't "injury prone" it is just being an NFL RB. It's why you shouldn't try to limit their carries. It is why depth is almost as important as talent. It is why long term deals are short-sighted but short term deals are fine.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It isn't "injury prone" it is just being an NFL RB. It's why you shouldn't try to limit their carries. It is why depth is almost as important as talent. It is why long term deals are short-sighted but short term deals are fine.

Agree, its a bit harsh on him considering he played 15 of 16 in his 1st year here and 13 of 17 last year. I'd say that's about average for a RB. Maybe even a tad above. Especially considering his style of play how how often he's had to run behind garbage lines and fight through contact.

The going rate seems to be 3 games a year on average.

Last edited:

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dude. Just take your L on the "gimmick play" argument instead of trying to redirect to something very subjective. And I base it on Moore having more rushing yards than receiving yards.
On two plays Dude. And yes that is a play a speedy WR can do well. Brown has run this plays as well. Do you want him at RB? It is nothing that proves this guy can be a backup RB. Further the coaches have no intentions of having Moore as a backup to Conner. You are grasping at straws.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
On two plays Dude. And yes that is a play a speedy WR can do well. Brown has run this plays as well. Do you want him at RB? It is nothing that proves this guy can be a backup RB. Further the coaches have no intentions of having Moore as a backup to Conner. You are grasping at straws.
Not gimmick plays. That is what I said. That is what you pushed back on. That was the convo.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not gimmick plays. That is what I said. That is what you pushed back on. That was the convo.
It is a gimmick play using a WR. A wildcat snap to a receiver is a gimmick in my opinion. Just like an option pass with a WR is. If the WR throws a couple of touchdowns he isn’t now a candidate for backup QB. And the discussion was Moore should be moved to RB. You now say it is because he has more rushing yards than receiving yards. That speaks more to him not being productive as a WR. Getting the ball in his hands in different ways is great. It does not warrant moving him to RB.

Last edited:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It is a gimmick play using a WR. A wildcat snap to a receiver is a gimmick in my opinion. Just like an option pass with a WR is. If the WR throws a couple of touchdowns he isn’t now a candidate for backup QB. And the discussion was Moore should be moved to RB. You now say it is because he has more rushing yards than receiving yards. That speaks more to him not being productive as a WR. Getting the ball in his hands in different ways is great. It does not warrant moving him to RB.
1 - It isn't a gimmick play.

2 - The highlighted portion absolutely does warrant a move. Just because it is not a traditional role doesn't make it not the right move. I would rather see Dortch get 70% snaps at WR and Moore get 30% snaps as a RB than Moore get 70% snaps at WR and Tony Jones get 30% snaps at RB.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
1 - It isn't a gimmick play.

2 - The highlighted portion absolutely does warrant a move. Just because it is not a traditional role doesn't make it not the right move. I would rather see Dortch get 70% snaps at WR and Moore get 30% snaps as a RB than Moore get 70% snaps at WR and Tony Jones get 30% snaps at RB.
1) A wildcat snap to WR is a gimmick play in my opinion. Just like it was when Patrick Peterson ran it. It speaks nothing to the individuals ability to make a position change to RB.
2) Moving Moore around to get the ball in his hands on scripted plays is great. Moving him solely to RB would end any effectiveness he has.

Again all my opinion. My last on this topic.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
IR is not okay. One or two games here and there is okay. I guess it shows how valuable Conner is to this team and the lack of depth, sad state we are in.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Tony Jones rb1
Dimercado rb2
Ingram and his 1 yard for carry rb3

I Guess there are better RB room in CFL

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Why are we even carrying a guy like Corey Clément if he isn't going to be used and we bring in a guy like Jones to fill Connor's spot?

Reactions: PJ1

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tony Jones rb1
Dimercado rb2
Ingram and his 1 yard for carry rb3

I Guess there are better RB room in CFL
Where did you get the idea that Jones is RB1?!

The depth chart on the team website has Ingram RB1, Demercado RB2, Jones RB3.
Why are we even carrying a guy like Corey Clément if he isn't going to be used and we bring in a guy like Jones to fill Connor's spot?
I'd assume that if Clement is on the practice squad, it's because he's no longer as good as Ingram or Demercado. Jones was claimed off waivers so he had to go on the active roster.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Where did you get the idea that Jones is RB1?!

The depth chart on the team website has Ingram RB1, Demercado RB2, Jones RB3.

I'd assume that if Clement is on the practice squad, it's because he's no longer as good as Ingram or Demercado. Jones was claimed off waivers so he had to go on the active roster.
It seems snaps are aligned with the ability to block. The staff is counting on the RB for added protection?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson