With James Conner Ailing, Cardinals Claim Running Back

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A toss sweep with a faked end around action is a gimmick?

An inside zone run out of a trips formation is a gimmick?

Maybe I am misremembering his big plays but I am pretty sure that was it.
A toss sweep with a fake end around is a gimmick that gets him to space he has to have. Running anywhere that requires breaking a tackle will be problematic. He is not the answer as a second back to Conner.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With Jordan McLaughlin and Perine in Denver, I would have made a call to the Broncos and see what Javonte Williams would cost. They might not or would want too much, but it would be worth a call.
They absolutely love Javonte here in the Denver area. It might cause a mini riot if he was traded.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With Jordan McLaughlin and Perine in Denver, I would have made a call to the Broncos and see what Javonte Williams would cost. They might not or would want too much, but it would be worth a call.

Williams has been rough this year and he's always injured.

I'd phone the Eagles and offer them a late round pick swap for Rashaard Penny. He's been a healthy scratch every game. And he's on a cheap contract too.

He's been good when healthy. Very good sometimes.

Or we could embrace the suck because it's a dead season anyway. But I think Penny has future value if he does well.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'd phone the Eagles and offer them a late round pick swap for Rashaard Penny. He's been a healthy scratch every game. And he's on a cheap contract too.

Or we could embrace the suck because it's a dead season anyway. But I think Penny has future value if he does well.
That's what I'd do.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Gotta stop giving up assets and embrace the suck in a lost season, IMO.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's what I'd do.

Me too probably. Although I do think there is value in a late round pick swap for Penny. We obviously need more depth and RB anyway and while he's only on a 1 year deal it's worth having a look with a view to signing him long term. He's been a good RB.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
A toss sweep with a fake end around is a gimmick that gets him to space he has to have. Running anywhere that requires breaking a tackle will be problematic. He is not the answer as a second back to Conner.
With respect, you need to watch more football. Fake action is a staple with most offenses.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Out of the two, only Javonte has a season where he received over 120 carries (203). And his 47 carries was still more than Penny's worst year. So I don't understand how you can use health as a negative for Williams but a non-factor for Penny when Williams has been healthier in his career.

Also, why would you trade for Penny who is on an expiring contract if you could trade for a player who is also under contract for 2024?

I get not wanting to trade for Williams, and that is ok. But some of your argument doesn't make sense.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With respect, you need to watch more football. Fake action is a staple with most offenses.
If you truly believe Moore can be a backup RB to Conner it is you who needs to watch more football. Further you base this on two plays. We don’t agree.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Out of the two, only Javonte has a season where he received over 120 carries (203). And his 47 carries was still more than Penny's worst year. So I don't understand how you can use health as a negative for Williams but a non-factor for Penny when Williams has been healthier in his career.

Also, why would you trade for Penny who is on an expiring contract if you could trade for a player who is also under contract for 2024?

I get not wanting to trade for Williams, and that is ok. But some of your argument doesn't make sense.

The argument is that Penny will cost a lot less than Williams and offers better value.

Williams would cost a 3rd or 4th. Penny would cost a low pick swap.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Because we know these guys aren’t robots & play the most brutal position on the body in football. I just don’t understand the victory-lapping.
I'm not victory lapping anything--I wish he wasn't injured. I wish he wasn't injury prone either. Pretending he isn't just because he's a RB is silly.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not victory lapping anything--I wish he wasn't injured. I wish he wasn't injury prone either. Pretending he isn't just because he's a RB is silly.
Kamara, CMC, Chubb, Barkley, etc, all have missed a considerable amount of time due to injury in recent years. Same goes for Barkley. Derrick Henry might be the lone outlier because he’s built like a damn lion & even he missed time a few years ago. Rookie sensation De’Von Achane will be on IR for the next 4 weeks, possibly longer.

Pretending that RBs don’t have the cruelest job in football & are more liable to injuries is even sillier. You have some unreal expectations of expecting these dudes to play 17 games year-after-year like this is a game of Madden where you can turn the injury setting off.