Why This Is The Year

Stargazer

Registered
Reaction score
One last thread before the season starts -- the top ten reasons why this is the year:

1. Hungry veterans. Perhaps the single most frustrating thing about watching the Suns last year was the lack of a killer instinct. They could outplay teams seemingly at will, but would react by becoming bored, losing focus, and letting teams get back into games. No lead was safe, and the starters were constantly playing during crunch time in the fourth quarter when by all rights the games shouldn't have been close enough for there to be a crunch time. The result was extra wear on the starters and less time for bench players, but even worse was that the team learned that they could slack off and still win the game on talent -- until San Antonio, where just a few bad minutes here and there were enough to seal the crucial games. I think Nash was preaching it last year, but nobody else was listening. But this year Hill will say the same things, and hopefully the younger players will listen: play with focus, put teams away early, and don't let them back in. This year will see more blowouts that stay blowouts.

2. Grant Hill. Last year, we would consistently build leads with Nash in the game, only to slide back during his breaks in the early-second and early-fourth quarters. With Nash, Diaw and now Hill, we should never be without at least two playmakers on the court at all times, which means the offense should never stop (to say nothing of the potential of Hill and Nash in at the same time). As good as the offense was last year, switching Hill for JR ought to be worth at least 3-4 points extra per game (say, switching a couple of JR bricks for a few trips to the FT line for Hill), which will put us among some of the great offensive teams of all time.

3. Amare. Hard to remember, but at this time last year, Amare was fighting (and not getting) a starting job. There was controversy over how he would fit into the Suns' offense, concerns over whether it would be "his" team or "Nash's" team, etc. Nearly 25% of the games the Suns would lose last year were lost in the very first week of the season. This year Amare comes in better than ever, and in the flow from the start.

4. Diaw. At this time last year, he was overweight, out of shape, and out of sorts trying to adjust to the presence of Amare in his spot in the post. This year, he's lean and ready, and he's got a role carved out for him with the second unit.

5. Marion. He's an effort guy, and nothing motivates him like thinking he's being disrespected -- witness his spike in rebounds and points every year during the weeks before the all-star voting. Now multiply that for the entire season for what is in effect a contract year for Marion. He's going to want to prove that he's a team player and an integral part of the best team in the league.

6. Nash. Some day he's going to lose his touch, but not this year.

7. LB. At this time last year, LB was a good player but not someone you would trust with the shot at the buzzer -- until that monster 3 against Chicago. Last year was his first real playoff experience. Now he's one of several go to guys in big situations, and has some playoff success and failure under his belt.

8. D'Antoni/Kerr. Last year, D'Antoni was both coach and GM, and there was no one to tell him it was ok to risk losing a few games during the season to make sure the team and bench were ready for the playoffs. This year, Kerr is giving him that message, and his own experience should finally be telling him the wisdom of being ready for the post-season.

9. Banks/JR. It's easly to forget, but at this time last year, we still thought Banks would be an important contributor to the team. Now we know better, and there'll be no need to waste time and energy beating our heads against the wall over it. The rotation is set through at least 7 players, and there are no question marks or wishful thinking with Nash, Amare, Marion, Bell, Hill, LB, or Diaw.

10. The Competition. Only the Celtics really improved this offseason, and even them not enough to challenge any of the big three. The Spurs and the Mavs are as good as ever, but no better. We are.

Ten months from now, we'll look back on it and think it was obvious from the start: This is the year.

LavaLamp2

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for a well-articulated list. Only time will tell. I will enjoy this ride wherever it leads. It is going to be an exciting season.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The past week I have been drinking this as well :koolaid:

It's Grant Hill flavored and gives you hope.

Errntknght

Reaction score
8. D'Antoni/Kerr. Last year, D'Antoni was both coach and GM, and there was no one to tell him it was ok to risk losing a few games during the season to make sure the team and bench were ready for the playoffs. This year, Kerr is giving him that message, and his own experience should finally be telling him the wisdom of being ready for the post-season.

I agree with the others but I have great fears that this one is mostly wishful thinking. I hope Mike has learned something but he is nothing if not stubborn so I'll believe it when I see it.

I guess I don't entirely agree that only the Celtics have improved - last year was a deep draft and the second half of the season we might well see that having an effect. I would guess at this point that Houston, Denver, Utah, Seattle, and the Clippers will be considerably improved this year and the Lakers might have taken a step forward, as well. Memphis, NO, and Golden State are also possibilities. In the EC, I expect Chicago and Atlanta to be better because of their extreme youth.

PetryJr

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with the others but I have great fears that this one is mostly wishful thinking. I hope Mike has learned something but he is nothing if not stubborn so I'll believe it when I see it.

I guess I don't entirely agree that only the Celtics have improved - last year was a deep draft and the second half of the season we might well see that having an effect. I would guess at this point that Houston, Denver, Utah, Seattle, and the Clippers will be considerably improved this year and the Lakers might have taken a step forward, as well. Memphis, NO, and Golden State are also possibilities. In the EC, I expect Chicago and Atlanta to be better because of their extreme youth.

I agree that Houston has improved. Denver is a possibility. I don't know about Utah. They lost Fisher and added no one. Maybe if Deron Williams improves some more, which is a possibility. I don't think Seattle has improved after losing Rashard Lewis and Ray Allen. Durant will be great, but he's still a rookie. The Clippers? They'll be without Elton Brand for a while, we don't know whether Shaun Livingston will play this season or not, and Sam Cassell is a year older. I think it's a reach to say they have improved. I agree about Memphis, NO and Golden State.

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
i saw the nothin but net show and they had dantoni on there. he said something interesting when they asked him about amare. he said 'you know, amare has changed a lot. he's not the same guy inside that he was 4 years ago. he really just doesn't care about the role he plays leading to a championship as long as we win a championship' i was very surprised to hear that, especially from coach.

if that's a true statement, i mean, you can add a couple more wins to our tally in the reg season and who knows what in the postseason.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good list. The stars are aligned. Now it all depends on injuries.

As far as D'Antoni being stubborn, that's a good thing. Stubborn coaches do things their way and often win because of it.

Errn, you seem to equate being stubborn with being inflexible and not ever "learning something." At least, as far as Mike is concerned. Is that a correct evaluation of what you believe and wrote?

If it is, may I suggest Mike appears to have learned enough about basketball to have registered some success in the NBA so far.

With the acquisition and use of Strawberry and Grant, it looks like he's recognized some deficiencies and may not be inflexible. He might even have learned something along the way, shocking us all.

I like D'Antoni and make no excuses for it. Can you tell? As long as he sticks to doing things his way, we have a two year window, as currently constructed, to win it all.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
#12 - The League embraces (even more) the running style and frowns upon dirty defense IN THE PLAYOFFS... and hell will freeze over that same day.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Skkorpion,
Errn, you seem to equate being stubborn with being inflexible and not ever "learning something." At least, as far as Mike is concerned. Is that a correct evaluation of what you believe and wrote?

If it is, may I suggest Mike appears to have learned enough about basketball to have registered some success in the NBA so far.

With the acquisition and use of Strawberry and Grant, it looks like he's recognized some deficiencies and may not be inflexible. He might even have learned something along the way, shocking us all.

I believe D'Antoni developed a style of play while coaching in the Euroleagues which he is trying to transplant into the NBA. IMO, he's not recognizing that with seasons that are much longer plus games that are longer and more physical than the Euros you need to use more bench. Obviously I didn't include that in the post but I've elaborated on it a good dozen times on here - anyway, that is why I equate his stubbornness with failure to learn. At least, that is the biggest reason and the reason it came up in this thread.

I really don't mind his stubborn insistence on playing very uptempo - its not taken us all the way yet but it is exciting basketball and I think it can win it all. Even if it can't, I don't think he'd be effective with a more traditional style so I'm not wanting him to change. But it really does tick me off that he won't use enough players to keep the tempo high for 48 minutes. The most important case in point is that when we play the Spurs, its us that are dragging butt at the end of games, not them.

I have posted a host of messages with what I consider his shortcomings as a coach in the NBA but there's no need to re-iterate those now... I'm sure a good number will surface as the season goes on.

Oh, heck, I'll toss out my latest one: I'm prepared to hate the way he's playing Hill down in "Raja's corner" so far, but I have hopes he'll realize the mistake he's making so I'll wait a bit. Who knows, I may even realize its a brilliant stroke and congratulate him for it. (But if Hill becomes a major offensive weapon with baseline play I'm not give D'A any credit - he's never done anything to indicate he has a clue about the baseline. Hill, on the other hand has the bball IQ to figure it out if he's stuck in the corner long enough.)

Last edited:

Errntknght

Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I read it but don't see anything relevant to my last remarks...

krispydude

\_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_
Reaction score
you wont find a bigger suns fan than me, but i am somewhat reserved on the teams chances this year.

i believe in amare and hopefully he has worked his ass on defense to get better and hopefully will stay out of foul trouble since KT is gone. i dont think we will have the interior defense to beat the tough teams. Utah and SA is who i am worried about. Utah dominated us last year and look even better this year. SA stayed the same but we lost KT. uh, as of last year, amare couldn't guard duncan. at least KT kept him in check. hopefully amare can step it up.

im thinking the addition of hill will help out against SA. our problem in that series wasnt defense, it was offense. we couldnt score. with hill being able to handle the ball when nash is siting or getting abused by bowen, it should help the offense flow more smoothly and negate their boring ass grind the game to a halt gameplan.

Utah is scary. i honestly dont know if the suns could beat them in a 7 games series. they have the defense, they play hard and dirty, they can score inside, they have a great PG who is only getting better, they can shoot from outside. ugh...

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Nothing is more uncertain than picking playoff winners this time of the year. I would guess the list of things that might go wrong is endless but right now there is nothing precluding the Suns from winning it all.

1. Depth - Last year the Suns ended up starting James Jones who is now third on the depth chart for the lottery Blazers. This is much deeper team with a promising start by Banks, very good reviews on Strawberry, and even Tucker looks like he can play. Not only is Hill better than Jones, so are several other guys. D'Antoni prefers to play a short bench, but that is typically a reflection on what happens when the deep bench guys play.

2. Speed - Kurt Thomas did a nice job in the Spurs series, but he was far to slow for the Suns style. This year Pike is the only slow guy on the roster and he won't play anyway.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn