Why are YOU a Cardinals' fan??

NeverSayDieFan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Since the media is doing its' annual...You're a Cardinal fan?? Oh, man are you going to suffer thru a horrible year! I thought it'd be fun to rally the troops with this. Course, it's much easier to pose the question now since the last few years have been great. Well, this thread may turn out fun...OR it may go absolutely nowhere. LOL BUT, I'll start...

I'm enjoying being a Cardinal fan because we're good! Notice, I said good and not great. Let me explain. My dad lives in CT. and is a huge UCONN Huskies' fan. Well, they've gone undefeated the past 2 years sometimes winning by 50-60 points. So, when we get on the phone, all he wants to talk about is how much they won by. Yeah, winning is great, but I ask you which have you found more satisfying...Beating the Rams?? ....OR beating the Cowboys, Vikings, Eagles, Giants, etc.

So, the Cards are good. :)They can win. Question is..Will they... And that's one of the things that makes me happy these days. It's exciting! Knowing we have a real, legitimate shot! GO CARDS! :D

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Because I've invested nearly 40 years & thousands & thousands of $$$ on them over the years... believing that 1 day we will hoist a Lombardi!!!

Tyler

Registered
Reaction score
I was a Redskins fan due to my dad. Went to my first NFL game in like 96 or something, Cardinals Redskins. I asked my dad to buy me a Cardinals shirt at halftime. I have no idea why but damn am I glad I did.

Perfectionist

Objectively Correct
Reaction score
When I was 11 years old I played an allstar baseball game in the old Bush stadium and of course I loved the baseball team. When I returned back to the St. Louis area for college in 1968 I became a Cardinal football fan and have followed them every since!

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I grew up in the UK but my family are from Arizona originally. I love the game and picked the team when I was a kid (pretty much when the moved to Arizona). Haven't looked back since. Once you pick a team you STAY with that team for life.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First of all NeverSayDieFan.. You need to chill.. Most of your posts are media related, and how they talk about the Cards (or you).. If your ok with yourself the rest will follow..

As to why Im a Cardinals fan? Well, its because they are in my city, Glendale (Phoenix).. Aint much else to it.. I feel proud that I helped get the stadium.. Something no other city could do for the Cardinals.. When the Cardinals came here, they were the worst of the worst, the laughing stock but we still supported.. So for that reason alone that makes the Cardinals an AZ more than any other city they came from..

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My Dad was a diehard Cardinal baseball fan since he was a kid. Professional football was pretty much a joke until the Giants / Colts NFL Championship game in 59. I started watching NFL football in 63 & convinced my Dad that since we were St. Louis Cardinal fans in baseball, that's where our allegiance should be in football too. The Cardinals were pretty decent in the 60's & 70's, so we had some fun times. A Lombardi trophy would complete the process. In Whiz I Trust!!!!

Doc Cardinal

Old Fart
Reaction score
My Dad was a diehard Cardinal baseball fan since he was a kid. Professional football was pretty much a joke until the Giants / Colts NFL Championship game in 59. I started watching NFL football in 63 & convinced my Dad that since we were St. Louis Cardinal fans in baseball, that's where our allegiance should be in football too. The Cardinals were pretty decent in the 60's & 70's, so we had some fun times. A Lombardi trophy would complete the process. In Whiz I Trust!!!!

Pretty much the same as PA....except it was me that was and is a Cards baseball fan.

I followed by rooting for the football cardinals and even the St. Louis Hawks.....dropped them when they moved to Atlanta....but there was just something about those early St. Louis teams....Larry Wilson.....Pat Fischer....Sonny Randle.....John David Crow.....Bobby Jo conrad......Charley Johnson.....Jackie Smith....etc. etc.......just could never let them go.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I moved from NC in 86 and back then there was no pro teams in NC so I only watched Duke & NC State (Jordan) basketball, when I moved to AZ they only had the Suns so I became a Suns fan, then we got football Cards ( I didn't even like watching football until the Cards) and then Dbacks.... So I didn't have any other teams and I have been a huge fan of each.

LittleDavis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I started as a Steelers fan because my brother was a Cowboys fan. When I was seven the Cards started training in my hometown and I was in awe of these guys invading my town for 2 1/2 months each summer. This lasted for seven years (I think).

The first player I met was a rookie who(while waiting for OJ Anderson to sign) asked me if I wanted his autograph. It was Stump Mitchell. Training camp was different back then, these guys treated me like a surrogate son for the summer. Watched them practice, carried their pads, ate in the dorm, played video games and simply hung out. Jim O was around then but on the inside. I remember his dad, he was always really nice. The stories are to numerous to count.

Being a kid from a small college town and my family had just moved into town from the country this was an unforgettable experience. I was sad when they moved to AZ. but I was playing high school ball and was pretty busy but never had any love loss for my CARDINALS.

No offense but I think the Cards are the closest thing I have to a religion.

GOOOOOOOOOOOO CARDSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Monty

2010 Cardinals Draft Guru
Reaction score
In my case it is more or less hereditary as my dad and granddad were Cardinal fans since the team was in St Louis even though they themselves were living in AZ. I grew up in Pennsylvania myself but just picked up on the family tradition at first but became hooked on football and following the Cardinals in 97. Since then its been one helluva rollercoaster but i wouldnt have it any other way.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really enjoyed having a professional football team move to the valley although I wanted Phoenix to start their own franchise which wasn't likely to happen. IMO, the Cardinals were not committed to winning for years in Arizona which left me on the fence with a show me attitude. It wasn't until Michael Bidwill took over the reins that I started to become a solid Cardinal fan. With the addition of Whiz, it changed the Cardinals dramatically. The whole atmosphere changed to a team committed to winning. The Cardinals remain frugal... but in a smart way. Whiz has started a system to which he can plug in players. Now that I see the Cardinals committed to winning it makes me invest more as a fan. I never could support a team where making money was the only objective. Now I feel the Cardinals are a part of the Arizona landscape.

Redleg

Reaction score
When the Cardinals moved to Phoenix I was stationed in the valley. I thought this would be a great thing to do with my son, then age 6, so I bought season tickets for us both and the rest is history.

I no longer live in Arizona and my son is overseas now but we both still follow the team closely. It has been a great ride so far.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It was a condition for my early release. Shaved a year off my sentence, and following the team has shaved a few additional years off my life.

Shogun

Never doubt Mitch. EVER.
Reaction score
I didn't like the Rams as a child.

I found out the Cardinals used to be from St. Louis.

I watched the Cardinals beat the Cowboys (my mom's favorite team) in '98.

Followed them ever since.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I always liked going to NFL games but most were sold out. The Cardinals were the only team where not only could you easily get tickets you could get them for free.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Because whenever anyone asks me where I am from, my answer is Arizona.

petelondon

Reaction score
Because they came over as the then St Louis Cardinals to the UK to play the Vikings in a showcase game at Wembley Stadium back in 1983.

I think I made the right choice of who to support :)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My step-father grew up on a depression era farm near Senith, Missouri and he loved the Cards. He was one of the toughest and meanest men I've ever met. I hated everything about that man so I grew up hating the team he loved. He died shortly after they moved to Tempe and by that time, although I'll never forgive the guy, I'd reached the point where I could usually forget him.

Because of him, I'd been following the team since the mid 60's but it wasn't till they drafted Jake that I realized I'd flipped a switch and had actually become a fan. I guess for some of us there's a fine line between loving this team and hating this team.

Steve

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Been following the Big Red for 38 years since I was 7 yrs old. Remember watching the Cards on TV every Sunday with my dad. My uncle had endzone season tickets at the old Busch Stadium. He took me to my first game in December '76. It was horribly cold and my uncle started dancing in the isle with a bunch of his friends when the Jim Hart threw a TD pass to Mel Gray. It was a great time.

From my first time watching the Cards I was hooked on this team. I followed them as much as I could when I was in the military. No matter where they are located I will be a fan.

Carddan

Average Fan
Reaction score
Phoenix is my home. Arizona is my state. The Cardinals are my team. Years of blood sweat and tears have made my loyalty all the deeper.

wilycoyote24

All Star
Reaction score
Because I grew up in Phoenix and absolutely hate everything about my city of birth, LA.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson