Who's your most underappreciated player in Cardinal history

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Jetstream Green, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Buckybird

Buckybird Hoist the Lombardi Trophy

2 great names!

how about Freddie Joe Nunn? He’s still unknowingly the franchise all time leader in sacks despite off the field issues early on. But hell I was a HUGE Greer fan

2. JosiahLee

JosiahLee Registered

Players who come to mind:

-Rashad Johnson
    -Gerald Hayes
    -Calais Campbell

Krangthebrain likes this.
  3. BritCard

BritCard Registered

He's only attacked for his contract because his play is so far below it.

In a scheme where Edmonds and Drake have shined DJ has been one of the worst RBs in the league.

4. Buckybird

Buckybird Hoist the Lombardi Trophy

Let’s be real here, regardless if he fits or doesn’t fit this offense outside of 2 games this season he was rarely used to run the ball. He was still giving teams fits in the passing game to start the season, then they basically took him off the field

For the most part he hasn’t looked as explosive as 3 years ago & those reasons we probably won’t ever know why. I still say this kid is a helluva player & he goes & proves it after he leaves Arizona if used properly.

wa52lz, Shane and daves like this.
  5. BritCard

BritCard Registered

I think the MCL injury he had at the end of 2016 was worse than thought. He's lost masses of pace and agility and looks like a linebacker trying to play running back.

The reason he was taken off the field was because he has been amazingly bad at running the ball, pretty much in every game since the end of 2016. Even in game 1 of '17 before he did his wrist he was bad. He was then bad under McCoy and we all blamed the scheme and then he was bad under Kliff when two other RB's shined.

Since 2016 he's had 1 game over 100 yards in 32 games played. He had a 2 game stretch in 2018 where he ran for 98 yards vs Kansas and 137 yards vs Oakland and outside that he's done very little in the running game.

I personally think he is cooked and might possibly be done in the league. You only have to have eyes to see he just doesn't have any juice left when he runs.

I also wonder about his football intelligence. He's always been really bad at pass pro and he hasn't got any better in 5 seasons. I wonder if he has trouble picking up playbooks too. His one good year was the 2nd year in BA's scheme and something clicked for him. Since then he has had 2 seasons with new OC's and new plays and just hasn't looked comfortable.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  6. slanidrac16

slanidrac16 Registered User Contributor

Do you remember the one play this year when DJ caught a pass in the left flat and there was nobody, and mean nobody within 35 yards of him?

I remember thinking why was he running so slow? I think the play gained 40 yards or so.

7. BritCard

BritCard Registered

I do indeed. It was the first game vs the Seahawks at home. He just ran slowly in a straight line for about 35 yards until he hit the first safety. Half the RB's in the league would have taken it to the house.

8. cardpa

cardpa Finding the Field

You beat me to it. Wehrli is also my choice as one of the most unappreciated Cardinals in team history.

PACardsFan likes this.
  9. cardpa

cardpa Finding the Field

I don't know about this. If Johnson is so talented at catching the ball and making things happen in that phase of the game any coach with a little common sense would be finding ways to get him on the field and getting him the ball. After all isn't it on the coach to win games by utilizing the talent available to him and in the case of Johnson it would be in the passing game. Instead Johnson got buried on the bench and was basically ignored by the entire offensive coaching staff. Now this either means Johnson has lost his abilities or Klingsbury really missed the boat on him and failed to use Johnson effectively and failed to see what Johnson could bring to the table.

Bottom line is either Johnson is done or Klingsbury doesn't always know how to use the talent he has on the team to it's fullest.

10. phillycard

phillycard Registered

No, I think that was the Falcons game BritCard. It was definitely a win at home.

11. BritCard

BritCard Registered

Here it is at 2:05

12. Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders Super Moderator Contributor

2x all pro and in a 4 year window the most disruptive DT I have ever seen play as a Cardinal.

Swann.jpg

13. BritCard

BritCard Registered

Good call

14. LoyaltyisaCurse

LoyaltyisaCurse IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...

Ronald McKinnon.

15. LoyaltyisaCurse

LoyaltyisaCurse IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...

My thought exact ly!

Jetstream Green likes this.