Who's your most underappreciated player in Cardinal history

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Jetstream Green, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Osbern61

Osbern61 Insomniac

A lot of good names here. I'll go with Jamir Miller, another guy we let walk going into that '99 season.

Krangthebrain and kerouac9 like this.
  2. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

For me it has to be Terry Metcalf. i know you said not how the front office treated him but I have vivid recollections of Terry saying part of the reason he went to Canada was money, and part was he got tired of being booed for fumbling when he was the best all purpose player in the NFL at the time(rushing, receiving, returns).

Full disclosure he was and still is my all time favorite NFL player so I'm biased but I don't think it's a coincidence that he left and the franchise fell apart and went into a deep black hole for decades. He left, other players left, Coryell left in large part because he was furious the Cards didn't keep Metcalf. If you remember the story Metcalf played at Long Beach State in college and Coryell coached San Diego State. When they played in college Metcalf played so well against SDSU that Coryell remembered him and after getting the Cards job, he insisted they draft him. I read a book where Metcalf said after drafting him Bidwill and Coryell took him out to dinner, at dinner Bidwill asked him what he thought about playing CB and before a puzzled Metcalf could say a word, Coryell spoke up and said oh no Terry is my starting RB Mr Bidwill.

One of those things I've always wondered how the franchise would have differed if we keep Terry and keep Coryell.

Osbern61, Krangthebrain and Holian like this.
  3. Russ Smith

That would be my other one so many people called him soft having no idea how bad his knees really were.

4. Russ Smith

Actually after looking a bit more Coryell is actually the guy even though not a player. He actually warned all of us that the Cards were in huge trouble due to the lack of willingness to pay market value. When Bidwill traded Dobler to New Orleans without telling Coryell in advance he came out and said I demanded a trade, I'm not the only guy who wants out. We've known this for awhile the players were only happy because we were winning, eventually the money was going to become a huge issue and the players were going to want out. In that one offseason we had like 12 guys file for free agency when it was very rare, and Coryell had publicly declared he wanted to be fired and flirted with the rams job before ultimately taking the Chargers job.

At the time the fans blamed Coryell, in hindsight it's pretty obvious who was right, he went on to a HOF career in San Diego, and we fell apart and eventually left St Louis.

5. Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green Kool Aid with a touch of vodka

Larry Allen who might be the best guard to ever play with a control mean streak said Eric Swann was the one player he feared and made it a point to tell his guys to not p!ss him off because he said when he was mad you could not block him

6. Russ Smith

Yeah he was just a freak of nature, the combination of strength and athleticism was unreal. All his knee issues started with one dirty play against the Eagles, blanking on the name of the guy who went at his knee but it resulted in years of of give and take with us and the Eagles.

He was a HOF talent.

7. Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green Kool Aid with a touch of vodka

When he was in his short prime, he was the best Cardinal player ever on defense and just as good as Arron Donald if not better and that's not hyperbole

8. Russ Smith

Agreed. I remember one of the 49er lineman being asked about best players he went up against and he said the one that most people don't expect is Eric Swann, you talk to offensive linemen around the league and virtually everyone who played against him will tell you he was as strong as anybody in the NFL, but he was so quick and fast too that when he was healthy he was completely unblockable.

He always had a rep for being dirty and I guess he was but it was largely that first knee injury against the Eagles changed him, for the rest of his career he would go after people who tried to take him out low because was trying to protect the knees.

I found this clip, the story the guy tells is slightly different than i recall, I don't think the Cards were the only team who were aware of him we were just the ones that took him, I think he was going to be a first rounder pretty universally by the time the draft happened.

Watch the play where he picks off the screen and takes it to the house.

GatorAZ, Holian, Twist18 and 2 others like this.
  9. GuernseyCard

GuernseyCard Registered

THINK...?

Former NFL guard who does breakdowns on the NFL Network.

10. Holian

Holian Registered

I was one of those fans that soured on Eric Swann and I really regret being like that. Eric was an absolute beast and easily the most under appreciated player I can remember.

Krangthebrain likes this.
  11. az jam

az jam Registered User

Larry Centers, should be in the Ring of Honor.

wa52lz and Lagerfilled like this.
  12. TRW

TRW Registered

Ottis Anderson, Charley Johnson, J.V. Cain.

Russ Smith likes this.
  13. sr7706

sr7706 Registered

I can't believe nobody mentioned #81. The guy put everything he had on the field and the organization crapped on him. At the time in the NFL he has the fastest ever to 200,300,400,500 receptions. Worst move they ever made by not guaranteeing him a contract and they have been looking for a #2 WR since he left.

aq.jpg

daves and BIGDADDY_REDBIRD like this.
  14. wa52lz

wa52lz Registered

We really didn't let him walk. We offered him 2yrs- $6 million at the beginning of free agency, but he wanted to be a pass rusher which he wasn't in our defense. He found no takers and ended up signing a 1yr deal for $1.3 million that May w/ Cleveland

daves and Osbern61 like this.
  15. SeattleCard

SeattleCard Back in Arizona!!!

Hightower... and I always loved Dansby