Who's your most underappreciated player in Cardinal history

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
JT Smith
Ken Harvey (amazingly became a pro bowl player after he went to Redskins)

There were so many good players in the early days of AZ/PHX that were jettisoned after 1st contract because Sr. didn't want to pay them. If any of these players did stay in AZ, they likely toiled in obscurity, playing for a dreadful franchise in the middle of the desert.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
You beat me to Jay Novacek. He had multiple injuries here and was left unprotected when Bugel was hired because he wanted a blocking tight end. He was picked up by Dallas and we all know how that went.

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
JT Smith
Ken Harvey (amazingly became a pro bowl player after he went to Redskins)

There were so many good players in the early days of AZ/PHX that were jettisoned after 1st contract because Sr. didn't want to pay them. If any of these players did stay in AZ, they likely toiled in obscurity, playing for a dreadful franchise in the middle of the desert.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

On offense, JT Smith would have been my choice :raccoon:

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Leonard Davis

That was a gut punch. Played him out of position and then let him leave for nothing only to go back to guard and make the pro bowl 3 times.

Professional career
Arizona Cardinals
Davis was selected second overall in the 2001 NFL Draft by the Arizona Cardinals, and was named the starter at right guard as a rookie. The next year injuries on the offensive line forced the team to move him to right tackle. He was moved back to guard in 2003.

In 2004, after Dennis Green was named the new head coach, he was moved to left tackle where he would remain for three seasons, even though he struggled at the position and was one of the highest penalized players in the league.

On February 17, 2007, the Cardinals told Davis that they would not name him a franchise or transition player, clearing him to become an unrestricted free agent.

Dallas Cowboys
On March 4, 2007, Davis signed with the Dallas Cowboys for a seven-year, $49.6 million contract with $18.75 million guaranteed, who were looking to replace the retired Marco Rivera.[2] At the time, the contract was criticized in the media, for the amount of salary cap space being assigned to a player that would play guard and that had an average performance in previous years. According to Forbes, Davis was the highest-paid NFL player and 19th overall athlete in the 12-month period ending in June 2007, earning $25.4 million.[3]

He was named the starter at right guard and would flourish in Dallas by going to the Pro Bowl in his first three seasons. He had an exceptional year in 2007, as he received Pro Bowl and All-Pro honors for the first time in his career. The Cowboys finished 13-3 and won the NFC East division, but suffered a disappointing first round playoff loss against the New York Giants (who would go on to win the Super Bowl).

In 2009, the Cowboys again won the division and also their first playoff game in 13 seasons.

He was released on July 28, 2011, due to declining play and the team's lack of salary cap room. Since 2005, Davis was the fifth most penalized player in the league with 42 penalties.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
The answers are more confusing than the question. Several of them are clearly more about the front office/coaches than the fans. I confined myself to the 2000 roster forward. Certainly Leonard Davis and Ronald McKinnon were good answers already offered. Neither got the fan support they deserved. I already said my piece about Leinart on another thread. I think the current animosity toward DJ is unwarranted. He’s attacked because of his contract. Should he end up in Tampa I’m expecting to see an entirely different player.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA