Who remembers 2008?

cardcrazy

Registered
Reaction score
Well I’ll remind everyone again of an eerily similar scenario, our 2008 season. After 13 games the Cardinals were 8-5 and hopes were high!
Game 14 we lost at home to the Vikings on a prime time Sunday night game 35-14.
Game 15 they were embarrassed by the Patriots 47-7. After a slug performance like that one, It looked bad for any chance to get into the playoffs. Maybe you have forgotten how bad they looked?
Game 16 was a must win against the
Seahawks. They rallied and won, ending the season at...you guessed it...9-7 and a wild card berth!
I believe Chris Collinsworth said, “The worst team to ever make the playoffs”.
And I was actually starting to think the same thing. We all know how they turned it around and rallied to one of the greatest playoff runs in history!
I’m not sure what sparked the fire but I know a WR #11 who could give some insight to his current teammates.
Go Cards!

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless Kirk turns into Boldin and one of the other WRs can take the place of Breaston, I do not see how a young QB needing guys to make plays to help him out can have that kind of success... but we do have Hopkins to mirror Fitz in his prime :)

we also need an Edgerrin James who had a good playoff run...

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
we also need an Edgerrin James who had a good playoff run...
Having a Dockett on the DL would also be a boost, along with Allen being able to at least apply some pressure like Antonio Smith. Peterson does not have to tackle just like DRC but it would be really cool if he got some of his speed back while Simmons and Reddick in a combine effort could give us a slight Dansby resemblance... also would be really swell to have a young Campbell to spell our DL starters too

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
That team had some pretty competent coaching at the time, and a QB who played with a fiery intensity to be the best, not one who is searching for his identity in the first time he's faced adversity. Lastly, the 2008 team had the benefit of a highly energized and loud fanbase/home field advantage. In 2021, we'll enter a silent stadium, reliant on our own energy and motivation.

I think we can make the playoffs, but I don't see a major run.

OP
OP
cardcrazy

cardcrazy

Registered
Reaction score
That 2008 team was nothing special until the playoff run. They went 9-7 and struggled down the stretch. If they didn’t get fired up and turn it around they could have easily went 8-8 and missed the playoffs or proved Collinsworth right and reverted back to the game 14/15 performances in the Wild Card game.
I think there is enough talent on this current Cardinal team to beat the Rams then the Seahawks, after that I agree they would have to get really tough and maybe lucky too.
Cmon Fitz get em fired up!

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Having a Dockett on the DL would also be a boost, along with Allen being able to at least apply some pressure like Antonio Smith. Peterson does not have to tackle just like DRC but it would be really cool if he got some of his speed back while Simmons and Reddick in a combine effort could give us a slight Dansby resemblance... also would be really swell to have a young Campbell to spell our DL starters too

Darnell Dockett.......:(

Man, I miss that brother.....

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
98 was also a fun yr!! Cards got crucial late wins against seahawks

And that 58 yder by jackie was awesome lol commentor saying they may give him mesa if he hits it!!

And of course dethrowning the cowboys

Loved that team the snake, centers, sanders, willams on def

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
98 was also a fun yr!! Cards got crucial late wins against seahawks

And that 58 yder by jackie was awesome lol commentor saying they may give him mesa if he hits it!!

And of course dethrowning the cowboys

Loved that team the snake, centers, sanders, willams on def
Last game I attended in SDS and first Cards (and NFL) game my girlfriend and future wife ever attended. What an awesome memory.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I certainly hope we make a similar run, get to the playoffs and take off, but that was a pretty special team. Fitz in his prime, Anquan still great, experienced vet QB who was white hot, Edge was good, the D was solid, frankly that team probably underachieved in the regular season, we gave up at least 35 points 5 times that year, it took the playoffs to get the D to play better that year for whatever reason.

We just aren't as explosive on offense.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being garmage leading up to the playoffs and catching fire is nice and all but that is a big stretch. I'm hopeful but I would much rather see us playing like we did earlier in the season leading into the playoffs instead of being dominated by an injured 49ers team.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn