Who remembers 2008?

OP
OP
cardcrazy

cardcrazy

Registered
Reaction score
Your memory is a little off, the 2008 team won the NFC West not the Wild Card, the NFC West was so bad that the Cardinals had it wrapped up with 8 wins...they clinched the division in week 14, the last 3 games had little significance.
Yes, I remember now that’s why we had home-field advantage. Man my memory is slipping!
So if the NFC West was so bad and we could only manage a 9-7 record then the team wasn’t really that good during the season.
And certainly the performance in the loss to the 49ers this year wasn’t any worse than the loss to the patriots in game 15 of 2008.
The point is, was the 2008 team really any better than this 2020 team until something clicked in the playoffs?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I remember now that’s why we had home-field advantage. Man my memory is slipping!
So if the NFC West was so bad and we could only manage a 9-7 record then the team wasn’t really that good during the season.
And certainly the performance in the loss to the 49ers this year wasn’t any worse than the loss to the patriots in game 15 of 2008.
The point is, was the 2008 team really any better than this 2020 team until something clicked in the playoffs?
That patriots team was far more legit than the Beathard and wilson led 49ers. on the road. in the snow. with nothing on the line.

OP
OP
cardcrazy

cardcrazy

Registered
Reaction score
I’m an optimist when it comes to the Cardinals. I get really upset and down when they play poorly but it’s relatively short lived. I want to believe that these guys are getting fired up for the Rams, and that KK and Joseph are correcting their own mistakes to win this one!

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m an optimist when it comes to the Cardinals. I get really upset and down when they play poorly but it’s relatively short lived. I want to believe that these guys are getting fired up for the Rams, and that KK and Joseph are correcting their own mistakes to win this one!
I want to too but I cant believe how flat they were for the last game they should have been pumped up for.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
uh

the DL

the linebackers

the defensive backfield

the quarterback

the wrs

I mean.....what is better about this team? How is this team more playoff ready?
lol, that defense was pretty damn garbage the whole season until it seemingly flipped a switch in the playoffs, but also got a little lucky facing a:

Rookie Matt Ryan & Jake Delhomme having Tommy John surgery the off-season prior.

Doubt we get the benefit of the doubt like that again.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Despite crumbling this moment, the OL now is better than what it was in 2008. Kurt was just that brilliant at working through it.

Edge was mediocre in the regular season too, but he seemly flipped it on in the playoffs. Not saying Drake will do the same thing obviously, but he’s capable.

Lets not overrate that 2008 team. No need to.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That Cards team lost 4 of 6 to end the season. No matter who you see is ' better' in terms of players. The west was horrible that year ...but we made the run. We have another chance this Sunday to start the run no matter who we lost to or which 3rd stringer did what or practice squad player did that. Everything is forgotten just like that team losing 4 of 6 to end the season. And just a side note I believe we had a close game that week 17 Seachickens game with a back up Seneca Wallace playing.....Go Cards

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
the biggest difference between the two teams was the coach in 2008 was much better
I don't think so. Whis best win total was 10. Kliff gets 9 this year.....and this little nugget destroys your 'much better' take

Overall, Whisenhunt posted a record of 48-71 as head coach, including a 4-31 record in his last 35 games as a head coach.

Yeah much better

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol, that defense was pretty damn garbage the whole season until it seemingly flipped a switch in the playoffs, but also got a little lucky facing a:

Rookie Matt Ryan & Jake Delhomme having Tommy John surgery the off-season prior.

Doubt we get the benefit of the doubt like that again.
I was mostly going off of talent

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Despite crumbling this moment, the OL now is better than what it was in 2008. Kurt was just that brilliant at working through it.

Edge was mediocre in the regular season too, but he seemly flipped it on in the playoffs. Not saying Drake will do the same thing obviously, but he’s capable.

Lets not overrate that 2008 team. No need to.

id take young boldin, young fitz and old man warner over this offense if I could choose my players to go into the playoffs. id also take dansby and etc and dockett and co over our current LB and DL cores.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

We were 6-0 against the NFC West and a .300 team against the rest of the league that season. We beat Dallas for our best win (what a game!), but they were not at the level of this year's Buffalo team.

That season was catching lightning in a bottle. Once in a lifetime. If we somehow made another miraculous run to the Super Bowl year 2008 would still be once in a lifetime. This 2020 team actually got good hype during the season. So, it wouldn't be as shocking to the football world.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely some rose colored glasses in this thread.

The O line and D struggled mightily at times during the season. James was routinely declared over the hill and our run offense was 32nd in the league!

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
id take young boldin, young fitz and old man warner over this offense if I could choose my players to go into the playoffs. id also take dansby and etc and dockett and co over our current LB and DL cores.
Well, I mean, obviously when it comes to the veteran QB & stud WR core here.

I’d take Dansby over our ILBs & Dockett over our DEs. Pretty much where it ends.

Luckily, defense flipped a switch against & benefited from not facing a relatively seasoned QB not coming off of surgery until McNabb.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Definitely some rose colored glasses in this thread.

The O line and D struggled mightily at times during the season. James was routinely declared over the hill and our run offense was 32nd in the league!
Whole thread is hilarious.

Making it seem like we were the damn GSOT all season compared to this team, lmao.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Making it seem like we were the damn GSOT all season compared to this team, lmao.

Defensively we gave up 426 points. That was 28th in the league.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Yeah this season we dont get blown out
That season a handful of double digit defeats ...the negativity over this team is horrible.

Reaction score
Who can forget the blow out against the jets
When anquan bolden got hit by eric smith, i thought he was dead.
He played with a broken jaw a few weeks later.
That my friends is the epitome of an old school player!

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yeah and during the NFC Championship game he became a Big Puss
Hes dead to me.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

word was he had surgery with no painkillers, or at least no painkillers after. GROWN ASS MAN, PLAYBOY!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn