Who do you want to be ASU's next football coach?

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If they were going to make a hire like this it should've been Mack Brown, not Herm Edwards IMO. Dumb ******* move :bang:

My HS buddy Todd was a better option staying instead of this hire, regardless of Andersons relationship with Herm. I'm sorry but just because Ray was his agent doesn't make this a good move. Makes no sense! Wow just wow

Oh well TG got his ca$h & I bet he's laughing his ass off at this move. Guess I'll call him this weekend to get his thoughts after his firing blows over a little longer. He will be coaching soon again.

Why would he be laughing? TG is a mediocre head coach. Good for him that it has made him a multimillionaire, but he was fired for good reason.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
As has been touched on, I don't think Herm would be a bad hire. I just think there should actually be a search. You just can't go hire an old buddy the first week.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Edwards still hasn't been officially interviewed, and Crow isn't even in the states right now. Seems a little ridiculous to me that (reportedly) Anderson wants to hire Herm when he hasn't even interviewed him yet, or even interviewed other candidates. That seems like gross incompetence to me.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Soon to be your highest paid public employee in our fine state.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
On outside the lines.
He was asked "where do things stand right now with ASU"?
Herm Edwards: I am going to interview

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Edwards still hasn't been officially interviewed, and Crow isn't even in the states right now. Seems a little ridiculous to me that (reportedly) Anderson wants to hire Herm when he hasn't even interviewed him yet, or even interviewed other candidates. That seems like gross incompetence to me.

The last coach in the area who was the only candidate interviewed was Earl Watson and that worked out......uhmmm...yeah, maybe they should actually have more than one candidate.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Taking a glass half-full approach on Edwards, I see him as a big time promoter of program with national name recognition that could be valuable with recruits and their families. As far as coaching, he could direct the "big picture" while deferring to the assistants on the play calling. So, I really don't see this as the "disaster" some are making this out to be.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Would really need to find and stack coordinator talent though.

ASU will need to spend to retain them, but those who are good will have better opportunities.

The structure can work with a strong overall philosophy that your coordinators help execute. Then you need the next guy in place for when departures happen. If not you lose talented and innovative coaches while retaining Phil Bennett.......

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Speculation is that Ray is making this hire to give Napier a couple of years more experience before promoting him to HC, that is if he even stays. Anderson's got the most to lose, if this does not work out I wonder how long he has before Crow cans him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speculation is that Ray is making this hire to give Napier a couple of years more experience before promoting him to HC, that is if he even stays. Anderson's got the most to lose, if this does not work out I wonder how long he has before Crow cans him.

I understand your point but I think ASU and their fans have the most to lose.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Taking a glass half-full approach on Edwards, I see him as a big time promoter of program with national name recognition that could be valuable with recruits and their families. As far as coaching, he could direct the "big picture" while deferring to the assistants on the play calling. So, I really don't see this as the "disaster" some are making this out to be.

And vice-versa, I see what you are saying as hopes based on nothing tangible. His resume says he should be nowhere near a DI program.

So, we'll see. It's going to happen, and I am very disappointed that this was pre-arranged and not one other candidate was even considered seriously. I should've known Anderson had a deal done already by how he talked about the coordinators staying on.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mind boggling hire. Hasn't coached since 2008. Fired from Jets and Chiefs.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I understand your point but I think ASU and their fans have the most to lose.
Yeah but tell me you haven’t been disappointed the last couple of years. We may have to get through a couple of more before we are in a position to land a gamer changer HC. Lack of money is the big reason why we settled on Edwards and next years team probably wasn’t going to win more than 7 games next year under Graham. Also, the recruiting class this year isn’t as ballyhooed as years past so a change this year was probably as good as any if you end up losing most of them.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Yeah but tell me you haven’t been disappointed the last couple of years. We may have to get through a couple of more before we are in a position to land a gamer changer HC. Lack of money is the big reason why we settled on Edwards and next years team probably wasn’t going to win more than 7 games next year under Graham. Also, the recruiting class this year isn’t as ballyhooed as years past so a change this year was probably as good as any if you end up losing most of them.

There is a growing belief that Edwards is being brought in to serve as a stop-gap until Napier is ready. In fact, with Edwards as Head Coach, it will likely be Napier engineering the offense and truly managing the game for the most part.
I also find it interesting how just about all of the real experts - guys who have actually played in the NFL, guys who were coached by Herm and/or guys who have worked alongside Herm, all passionately support this move. But, the other "experts," as in fans and radio talk-show hosts, are all against it. I'll go with the true experts on this one...

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is a growing belief that Edwards is being brought in to serve as a stop-gap until Napier is ready. In fact, with Edwards as Head Coach, it will likely be Napier engineering the offense and truly managing the game for the most part.
I also find it interesting how just about all of the real experts - guys who have actually played in the NFL, guys who were coached by Herm and/or guys who have worked alongside Herm, all passionately support this move. But, the other "experts," as in fans and radio talk-show hosts, are all against it. I'll go with the true experts on this one...

The experts and the "experts" have been equally wing about things in the past.

Having said that, I came on here to say the very thing you are saying. There seems to be momentum surrounding this Napier is future HC. Herm does his thing in recruiting, which is what he brings to the table, then hands off the program to Napier in 2-3 years with a stacked team. Could be a sound strategy but the one thing I agree with AJ on is I wish Anderson would have taken on a more in depth search even if that is his plan. Who knows what the search would have turned up

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If this is the case, lack of money, then I do not think the Sun Devils did themselves a favor in firing Graham. They have to pay Graham around $12 million plus the cost of Edwards. Settling for less is not the answer. It only begets more mediocrity.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

Herm is a good guy. He's charismatic, knows football, and does a lot of extra preparing young players for the transition to the pros.

That said, the NFL fraternity is not going to vilify him and disparage his qualifications. The problem is, many of those same NFL guys haven't been deeply involved in the college game in decades and have no idea how the game works these days, on and off the field; and neither does Edwards. Recruiting is much different than in the 80s. Coaching these kids day in and day out is far different than doing so for an All-American game, and day in and day out, can't be learned in a few months. Guys like Helton, Peterson, RichRod, Whitt, Kelly, Shaw, and others within the conference have a better grasp of the landscape of recruiting and coaching in this conference. Furthermore, he hasn't done the grind of coaching in over 10 years, and one can argue that the grind as a college coach is much harder than in the NFL based on how much recruiting and pandering to boosters one has to do. A 63-year-old guy with no experience in this domain is going to go through some growing pains.

That's why there's so much upheaval about the decision. At best, you may see a temporary uptick in recruiting due to his personality, but that excitement can only last so long if you're not winning football games; and personally, I don't think ASU is going to be very good next year, so that novel feeling will only last so long.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Herm is a good guy. He's charismatic, knows football, and does a lot of extra preparing young players for the transition to the pros.

That said, the NFL fraternity is not going to vilify him and disparage his qualifications. The problem is, many of those same NFL guys haven't been deeply involved in the college game in decades and have no idea how the game works these days, on and off the field; and neither does Edwards. Recruiting is much different than in the 80s. Coaching these kids day in and day out is far different than doing so for an All-American game, and day in and day out, can't be learned in a few months. Guys like Helton, Peterson, RichRod, Whitt, Kelly, Shaw, and others within the conference have a better grasp of the landscape of recruiting and coaching in this conference. Furthermore, he hasn't done the grind of coaching in over 10 years, and one can argue that the grind as a college coach is much harder than in the NFL based on how much recruiting and pandering to boosters one has to do. A 63-year-old guy with no experience in this domain is going to go through some growing pains.

That's why there's so much upheaval about the decision. At best, you may see a temporary uptick in recruiting due to his personality, but that excitement can only last so long if you're not winning football games; and personally, I don't think ASU is going to be very good next year, so that novel feeling will only last so long.

I see it differently and of course, coming from a UofA fan, I'll consider the source here... ;)

ASU has always suffered when competing for recruits against UCLA, USC, Stanford, Oregon and even Washington...let alone the Texas schools. No matter who replaced Graham, that reality was not going to change...however, Edwards without questions holds the most promise for meaningful improvement in this area.
As for the "grind" of coaching, though 63, Herm is in incredibly good shape, both physically and mentally. And if the rumors are true - that he is simply a stop-gap until Napier is ready, he then knows he can go full throttle for a year or two and then turn iot all over to Napier.
We'll have to see how the wins & losses pan out. However, I am very optimistic about the improvements to come in the area of recruiting...

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I get what you are saying but virtually the entire offense returns including skill positions and they will be in the same system. The defense showed some improvement over the season and the young players they started this year now have the experience. Plus defense will be in the same system again.

I guess what I am saying is I happen to think this team will be as good or maybe a little better than this year.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I get what you are saying but virtually the entire offense returns including skill positions and they will be in the same system. The defense showed some improvement over the season and the young players they started this year now have the experience. Plus defense will be in the same system again.

I guess what I am saying is I happen to think this team will be as good or maybe a little better than this year.

Ballage and Richard are gone... However, ASU seems to have more than adequate replacements ready to roll...

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I see it differently and of course, coming from a UofA fan, I'll consider the source here... ;)

ASU has always suffered when competing for recruits against UCLA, USC, Stanford, Oregon and even Washington...let alone the Texas schools. No matter who replaced Graham, that reality was not going to change...however, Edwards without questions holds the most promise for meaningful improvement in this area.
As for the "grind" of coaching, though 63, Herm is in incredibly good shape, both physically and mentally. And if the rumors are true - that he is simply a stop-gap until Napier is ready, he then knows he can go full throttle for a year or two and then turn iot all over to Napier.
We'll have to see how the wins & losses pan out. However, I am very optimistic about the improvements to come in the area of recruiting...
A year or two? He’s not coming for a year or two, even if Napier is the heir apparent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard