Who do you want to be ASU's next football coach?

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Watching ASU's presser...Herm has a ton of energy, and you can tell he's excited. Guessing he was brought in to recruit and sell the program...judging by his comments. He also wants to establish an identity for the team, and focus on fundamentals. Plus, recruits' parents are going to love this guy.

I really find it hard to understand why people would be so passionately opposed to Herm... Gambo and a few others on KTAR 98.7 sound like a bunch of fools ripping Herm, Anderson and Crow. Gambo actually said its time for Anderson "to go!" What?
Based upon all that I have seen and heard from Ray thus far in his tenure at ASU, I have zero reason to doubt the man's abilities... none. He's done a fantastic job thus far, by any metric...
I believe the decision to bring in Herm was well thought out, well planned and will lead to continued improvement with the football program.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
I really find it hard to understand why people would be so passionately opposed to Herm... Gambo and a few others on KTAR 98.7 sound like a bunch of fools ripping Herm, Anderson and Crow. Gambo actually said its time for Anderson "to go!" What?
Based upon all that I have seen and heard from Ray thus far in his tenure at ASU, I have zero reason to doubt the man's abilities... none. He's done a fantastic job thus far, by any metric...
I believe the decision to bring in Herm was well thought out, well planned and will lead to continued improvement with the football program.
I certainly understand the criticism, but to rip them apart before Herm has even stepped foot in an office is a bit ridiculous. Ray clearly has a plan, and is implementing it. If Herm can be a good recruiter, and fill the team with good assistant coaches...I think he has a great chance to be successful. If he can somehow get this recruiting class into the top 25 before NSD, especially with all this negative attention surrounding the hire...it will make Anderson look like a genius.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So ASU is going to operate on an NFL model?

"Our goal for this football program is to reach unprecedented heights, and therefore we need to find a way to operate more innovatively and efficiently than we have in the past," Anderson said. "In the spirit of innovation, our vision for this program is to have a head coach who serves as a CEO and is the central leader with a collaborative staff around him that will elevate the performance of players and coaches on the field, in the classroom and in our community. Equally important, the head coach will be a dynamic and tireless recruiter."

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...oach-hire-arizona-state-reaction-z/918862001/

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Call it whatever you want... What is clear is that the school and Anderson are about to commit to the program in ways they never have before.
It could flop... but again, I believe the chances are far greater that the Devils see improvement that is sustained over a long period of time, rather than the occasional 9 or 10 win season every 10 years or so... I would say that if, over the next 10 years the Devils have won 9 or 10 games more than 2 or 3 times would validate this move and structure.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I certainly understand the criticism, but to rip them apart before Herm has even stepped foot in an office is a bit ridiculous. Ray clearly has a plan, and is implementing it. If Herm can be a good recruiter, and fill the team with good assistant coaches...I think he has a great chance to be successful. If he can somehow get this recruiting class into the top 25 before NSD, especially with all this negative attention surrounding the hire...it will make Anderson look like a genius.

I hope Herm knows the rules for recruiting.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I think it was dumb for them to announce it. Not necessarily dumb for them to do it, though I'm not sure what's going to be different, but you don't need to tell people what you're doing in advance. Wait for it to work then when someone asks how you did it then tell them. Right now you have a bunch of confused people that will highlight it every time ASU loses a game.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Call it whatever you want... What is clear is that the school and Anderson are about to commit to the program in ways they never have before.
It could flop... but again, I believe the chances are far greater that the Devils see improvement that is sustained over a long period of time, rather than the occasional 9 or 10 win season every 10 years or so... I would say that if, over the next 10 years the Devils have won 9 or 10 games more than 2 or 3 times would validate this move and structure.

My primary concern was how the hiring was done. I think it should have been more open and more candidate interviewed.

Herm sounds more like an AD which is Anderson's job. IMO, Herm should have the title of recruiting coordinator or such instead of head coach.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it was dumb for them to announce it. Not necessarily dumb for them to do it, though I'm not sure what's going to be different, but you don't need to tell people what you're doing in advance. Wait for it to work then when someone asks how you did it then tell them. Right now you have a bunch of confused people that will highlight it every time ASU loses a game.

The media, fans and alumni certainly seem confused. It shouldn't be this way.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
My primary concern was how the hiring was done. I think it should have been more open and more candidate interviewed.

Herm sounds more like an AD which is Anderson's job. IMO, Herm should have the title of recruiting coordinator or such instead of head coach.

That's your opinion... and your entitled to it of course. But, no offense - I'll take the opinion of Ray Anderson over anyone else on this board, and trust that, as I stated earlier, he developed this plan long ago. That it's a well thought-out plan with clear direction. I think it's safe to conclude that he secured Herm a long time ago... this wasn't a hasty decision by any means. Therefore, I have no doubt that he and Herm have been holding regular conversations over an extended period of time.
There were certainly other options for ASU to consider... but, Ray is the one who is ultimately responsible. And if he believes Herm was the best option to execute what is a very intriguing plan, so be it.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
From Scott Bordow.

Chip Kelly was literally at a 5*’s house after he was introduced. Herm should at least be on the phone with all current commits and ASU leans selling them on his vision.

Not speaking as a rival fan, but there’s not one bit of this that makes any sense, from start to finish. I’m speechless

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Chip Kelly was literally at a 5*’s house after he was introduced. Herm should at least be on the phone with all current commits and ASU leans selling them on his vision.

Not speaking as a rival fan, but there’s not one bit of this that makes any sense, from start to finish. I’m speechless
We don't know that he isn't doing that. He just said that he was visiting recruits this weekend...no comments were made about whether he's been in contact with verbal commits.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Do you know Herm's schedule for when he hits the bathroom each day?? I don't think any of us know what he's doing or not doing with respect to recruiting efforts...

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Do you know Herm's schedule for when he hits the bathroom each day?? I don't think any of us know what he's doing or not doing with respect to recruiting efforts...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm hearing this from everyone as well. It's to everyone's advantage that football remain strong throughout Arizona.

The way this was handled floors me.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We do know that Herm has duties at ESPN through Friday.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's your opinion... and your entitled to it of course. But, no offense - I'll take the opinion of Ray Anderson over anyone else on this board, and trust that, as I stated earlier, he developed this plan long ago. That it's a well thought-out plan with clear direction. I think it's safe to conclude that he secured Herm a long time ago... this wasn't a hasty decision by any means. Therefore, I have no doubt that he and Herm have been holding regular conversations over an extended period of time.
There were certainly other options for ASU to consider... but, Ray is the one who is ultimately responsible. And if he believes Herm was the best option to execute what is a very intriguing plan, so be it.

Sorry, I don't accept opinion as fact.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

He poops at 6:44am every morning

Edwards is working at espn until Friday. If I’m a new coach, I’m recruiting immediately especially knowing that the dead period and signing day are around the corner.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
He poops at 6:44am every morning

Edwards is working at espn until Friday. If I’m a new coach, I’m recruiting immediately especially knowing that the dead period and signing day are around the corner.

Is that East Coast time zone?? :p

As for his ESPN duties... I am quite certain Herm is capable of winding down those duties while performing whatever recruiting duties he can thru Friday. :koolaid:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another comment from Bordow.

scott bordow‏Verified account@sbordow

My last thought on Edwards hire and then I'm back to the Suns. Maybe he works out, maybe he doesn't. But never a good idea to hire someone without talking to other candidates. See how that worked out for the Suns and Earl Watson.

11:27 AM - 4 Dec 2017