Who do you want as next ASU Football coach?

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Damn :(

Good hire by NC State.

I'm on the Jim Leavitt bandwagon, but O'Brien was a close second.

Card Trader

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'd say pretty much all of them are better choices than Stoops....except possibly Chow.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I'd say pretty much all of them are better choices than Stoops....except possibly Chow.
Your hypocrisy and backtracking is hilarious Card Trader. If these reports are true, I'd like to point out that an offseason that was supposed to launch ASU into the same stratus as USC and Texas according to the Sun Devil faithful has now devolved into comparisons with Arizona - a program ASU fans like to label as one of the worst in the country. If being better than Arizona was the goal you guys could have just kept Koetter and spent the $3 million on facilities.

Again, I want ASU to go big as it's probably the only thing that would spur most of the pro-basketball boosters at Arizona into attempting to build a football powerhouse.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the guy ASU should pursue:

Bobby Hauck
Football - Head Coach, University of Montana

(406) 243-2969 (Phone)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Football

[email protected]

(406) 243-5864 (Fax)
Hoyt Athletic Complex
32 Campus Drive
Missoula, MT 59812-8496

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bobby Hauck (pronounced HOWK) had an outstanding two-year tenure at his alma mater, going 21-7 overall and 11-3 in the Big Sky Conference, en route to two league championships. Hauck also coaches the Griz special teams.

In his second season at UM the Grizzlies advanced to the Division I-AA championship game, losing 31-21 to James Madison in Chattanooga, Tenn. Montana added to its record number of playoff appearances in 2004, making its 12th trip in a row.

In his inaugural season at Montana in 2003, Bobby led the Griz to a 9-4 overall record, and they shared the Big Sky regular-season title with a 5-2 league mark.

Hauck, 40, became the 33rd head football coach at his alma mater on December 20, 2002. He replaced Joe Glenn, the current head football coach at the University of Wyoming.

Before coming to Montana as its mentor, he spent four years at the University of Washington. During his tenure at UW, he worked with defensive backs, special teams, and safeties. Energetic and hard-working, Hauck is considered one of the top recruiters in college football.

Prior to working at UW, Hauck was at the University of Colorado, where he was the special teams coordinator, recruiting coordinator, and coach of the safeties his four seasons there.

At Colorado, he coordinated all six special teams groups: punt coverage and return, kickoff coverage and return, field goal/PAT and field goal/PAT defense. In 1998 his Buffalo kickoff and punt return teams were both ranked in the top five in the nation.

His first three years at Colorado he also worked as the recruiting coordinator. In 1998 he gave up those duties to coach in the secondary. At CU he coached seven All-Big 12 Conference performers.

Before joining the Buffaloes, Hauck coached outside linebackers and handled recruiting duties for Northern Arizona in 1993 and 1994.

Tim Hauck, his younger brother, was a standout defensive back at Montana and was selected Big Sky Conference defensive MVP in 1988 and 1989. Tim was also UM’s team MVP in 1988 and 1989. Tim went on to earn Division I-AA All-American honors and is played 13 seasons in the National Football League from 1990 to 2002. Tim is a current assistant coach (safeties) at UM.

A Montana native, Bobby Hauck’s first coaching position came in 1987 as an assistant at Sweet Grass High School in Big Timber, his alma mater, working for his father, Bob Sr.

Bobby Hauck was a three-sport standout at Big Timber, lettering in football, basketball, and track.

Hauck, a Montana graduate, began his collegiate coaching career as a volunteer assistant for the Grizzlies. In 1988 he worked as a secondary coach, and he coached the inside linebackers in 1989.

He worked as a graduate assistant at UCLA from 1990 to 1991 under former Bruin head coach Terry Donahue. It was during his coaching experience at UCLA that Hauck first met and coached with former Husky head coach Rick Neuheisel.

While at Montana, Hauck lettered twice in track and field. He graduated in 1988 with degrees in business and physical education. Hauck earned a master’s degree in education administration from UCLA in 1991.

Hauck was born June 14, 1964, in Missoula. He is married to the former Stacey Harbin from St. Ignatius, and the couple have twin daughters, Sydney and Alexandra (eight) and a son, Robby (six).

-------

THE HAUCK FILE

Year-by-Year at Montana
YEAR...Overall....Big Sky
2003......9-4..........5-2*
2004.....12-3.........6-1*
Totals...21-7.......11-3
*Won Big Sky title

Personal
Birthplace: Missoula, Mont.
Birth date: June 14, 1964
Family: Wife Stacey and daughters Sydney and Alexandra and son Robby

Education
High School: Sweet Grass High School, Big Timber, Montana (1983)
College: The University of Montana (undergraduate in 1988), UCLA (graduate in 1991)

Coaching Experience
1987- Sweet Grass (Mont.) High School (assistant coach)
1988-89- Montana (secondary)
1989-Montana (defensive line)
1990-91-UCLA (graduate assistant)
1992-UCLA (asst. recruiting coordinator)
1993-94-Northern Arizona (outside linebackers, recruiting
coordinator)
1995-97-Colorado (safeties, special teams, recruiting coordinator)
1998-Colorado (outside linebackers, special teams)
1999-01-Washington (safeties, special teams)
2002-Washington (defensive backs)
2003-04-Montana (Head Coach)

Bowl Experience
1991 Hancock Bowl (UCLA vs. Illinois)
1995 Cotton Bowl (Colorado vs. Oregon)
1996 Holiday Bowl (Colorado vs. Washington)
1998 Aloha Bowl (Colorado vs. Oregon)
1999 Holiday Bowl (Washington vs. Kansas State)
2001 Rose Bowl (Washington vs. Purdue)
2002 Holiday Bowl (Washington vs. Texas)
2003 Sun Bowl (Washington vs. Purdue)

Playoff Experience
2003 Division I-AA Playoffs (First Round vs. Western Illinois)
2004 Division I-AA Playoffs (Championship game vs. James Madison)

Card Trader

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Your hypocrisy and backtracking is hilarious Card Trader. If these reports are true, I'd like to point out that an offseason that was supposed to launch ASU into the same stratus as USC and Texas according to the Sun Devil faithful has now devolved into comparisons with Arizona - a program ASU fans like to label as one of the worst in the country. If being better than Arizona was the goal you guys could have just kept Koetter and spent the $3 million on facilities.

Again, I want ASU to go big as it's probably the only thing that would spur most of the pro-basketball boosters at Arizona into attempting to build a football powerhouse.

Nah, I'm just pointing out that people in glass houses.....

Seriously, what do you guys know about good football coaches, it's been a while since you had anyone respectable there.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would rather have Stoops over the names listed in the article (except Chow, I guess.) I am a Devil fan, but I still think Stoops will get that team going eventually.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score

Seriously, what do you guys know about good football coaches, it's been a while since you had anyone respectable there.
When did I throw stones? I made an observation, one that would be supported by pretty much every ASU fan other than the typical homers judging by past posts.

And if I have no clue what I'm talking about when it comes to collegiate coaching (as if I ONLY watch Arizona football and nothing else) then I guess your positive opinion on Herb Sendek is invalid becaue ASU Basketball has sucked for so long.:rolleyes:

Card Trader

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I would rather have Stoops over the names listed in the article (except Chow, I guess.) I am a Devil fan, but I still think Stoops will get that team going eventually.

How long will it take? 3 years without a winning record.....that's pretty bad.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a big difference - USC recruits itself And there's literally hundreds of Pac-10 caliber players within 100 miles of USC every year that were looking for a reason to go to USC.

If this is true then why this horrible bout of years?

2001 6-6-0
2000 5-7-0
1999 6-6-0
1998 8-5-0
1997 6-5-0
1996 6-6-0

If they recruit themselves they should be pretty much assured good talent. That certainly doesnt show it.

THis stretch while certainly better isnt nothing to write home about they arent even close to being in the NC hunt like a USC should be.

1995 9-2-1
1994 8-3-1
1993 8-5-0
1992 6-5-1
1991 3-8-0
1990 8-4-1
1989 9-2-1

Another not so great stretch:

1987 8-4-0
1986 7-5-0
1985 6-6-0
1984 9-3-0
1983 4-6-1

Thats an awful lot of losing and just plain mediocre records over the years for a program that recruits itself.

Last edited:
OP
OP
devilfan02

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
First of all, no one here (including myself) has any clue whats going on. 10 days have passed and people are already crapping their pants cause we haven't made a hire yet. People are buying into all these rampid rumors that aren't close to reality. CHILL OUT! The AZ Republic has no clue what their talking about, neither does DevilsDigest, Neither does dipsh!t Bickley, Neither does Bolvin, neither does Gambo or Ash. Their just throwing crap at the wall and hoping theirs will be the one to stick.

Does anyone even know who Lisa Love has interviewed, where she has been, who's on her short list? If you believe the info from the names listed above then you are making a drastic mistake. They have been wrong since the minute Koetter got fired and are trying save face by chasing new, madeup rumors.

"McGinnis/Chow/Marmie staff to be announced tomorrow"
"Dennis Erickson new frontrunner"
"Mike Price to be announced tomorrow"
"Mike Martz New frontrunner"

Give me a freaking break. These are just some of the rumors that the PHX media has been making up. First off, whenever you hear the names Price or Erickson in the same sentence as ASU Football, that source loses all credibility. There is no way in hell, NO WAY IN HELL, that LL or MC would bring baggage like that anywhere near this program.

I'll save all judgements on this situation until LL has made her choice. It's not worth getting all bent out of shape over, especially with an AD like LL who operates like a freakin CIA Agent

OP
OP
devilfan02

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone can help me out- I know Mariucci is still getting paid by the Lions and is due $6 million next year. If he were to take another job would he forfeit the $6 mill that was due to him?

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course, I heard from someone who knows his way around Tempe that Russ Smith might be a frontrunner for the ASU job.

PAQ77

Registered
Reaction score

You're saying that Tomey wasn't respectable? Again, you've got to be kidding...

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
The Super 6 list does nothing for me. I sure hope this is a smokescreen.

I'm hoping for Tedford.

Ron English is tempting. Kids want to play for him. And, he's a Devil. The big ? is whether he could bring sustained success.

Who can sell themselves the most? Whoever gets Lisa Love in a room, and holds her attention... will get the job.

OP
OP
devilfan02

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Cal would never, ever grant ASU permission to talk to Tedford.

I agree, that list is very boring (in exception to Mariucci who I think has Carrol-type abilities) but I don't buy into any of it. As I said in a previous post, no one knows what LL is up to and that includes the PHX media and their "sources."

My top 2, in no particular order, are Mariucci and Pelini. I don't think either will get the job but I can only wish (Mariucci I believe would have to forfeit $6 million to take any job and LL has said she wants to hire a candidate who has head coaching experience which eliminates English and Pelini).

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score

Man, I'm a Sun Devil fan too, but I'd take Stoops over every single person named on that list.. The only one that gives me any kind of sense of acceptance is Mariucci and MAYBE Chow (who I'm still not sold on as a Head Coach).

Also, pointing at records when it regards to Stoops is an inaccurate evaluation of what the guy has done in Tucson. He inherited a program that was in shambles, and in each year he's been there, he's improved the Wildcat record, and done well in convincing blue chippers and other quality recruits that U of A is more than just Duke West (powerhouse in basketball, lousy in football).

I know it's universal that Arizona State fans are not fond of U of A, but right is right and realistic is just that. Stoops is a hell of a coach and a good recruiter.

Last edited:
OP
OP
devilfan02

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Stoops is a horrible in-game coach. He has no concept of clock management, gets flustered routinely, and has no clue how to run a offense. Granted he does have the program in the right direction but that wasn't hard to do. Anyone could do a better job then Mackovic. Even if I was neutral to this rivalry, I would say he's not a worthy candidate for a job like Miami. Anyway, different argument for a different thread.

Card Trader

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Don't care how bad off your program is, 3 years without a winning record is PATHETIC. Obviously they are in a better direction...but how hard was that? Even my daughter could have done that.

Stoops sucks, I'm glad UofA has him.

Stoops is a hell of a coach

LOL.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Thats an awful lot of losing and just plain mediocre records over the years for a program that recruits itself.
But look at the NFL Drafts over those years, you'll find them still littered with former Trojans. They just had nobody that could coach them.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind Mike Martz. I hated him as an NFL coach but was a good former ASU coordinator, won a Super Bowl in a NFL and I just think he'd be a good hire if he doesn't have any serious healthy issues right now.

OP
OP
devilfan02

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind Mike Martz. I hated him as an NFL coach but was a good former ASU coordinator, won a Super Bowl in a NFL and I just think he'd be a good hire if he doesn't have any serious healthy issues right now.

IMO, he's Dirk Koetter all over agian. Their both better off as coordinators

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen