Who do you want as next ASU Football coach?

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Price would be my top choice. The only thing I can see is that LL might not bring a coach with baggage with him.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Price would be my top choice. The only thing I can see is that LL might not bring a coach with baggage with him.

So he got drunk and partied with a stripper...no biggie!!

Really, if it wasn't for the fact that he did it in the middle of the Bible Belt, it would not have been a story.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Really, if it wasn't for the fact that he did it in the middle of the Bible Belt, it would not have been a story.

I agree......I'm a booster....but not a fan cuz I'm not planning on watching the ASU-Hawaii game. What do I know?? ;)

OP
OP
devilfan02

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
My pick of those would be Erickson. As I've said before, I don't believe the Republic on anything they've been reporting. They've been wrong since the start of this process so I'm not gonna trust them now.

Riley is pure garbage and I can't believe he's supposedly being considered. The guy finally has one decent coaching season and all the sudden he's a candidate?

There's something about Price that I don't like but I can't put my finger on it. He has a little better then a career .500 record (I know, he's done it through rebuilding processes and in tough places to recruit) which is pretty much how I view him- average.

Erickson, while he'll come with his baggage and thugs, can coach. If she's willing to deal with that risk at the cost of winning then so be it, it's her job on the line. He can recruit and as long as he doesn't go back to the bottle, could turn into a very good hire. After saying all this, I find it hard to believe that she would pick Erickson over a kiss ass artist like Price. We'll see, ESPN2 bottom line is saying she will pick between Price and Erickson as soon as today

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
I don't see all the negativity on Mike Price. He has had GREAT success at WAZOU and UTEP, two places almost impossible to recruit well to. His formula there was to build for good seasons most years, a great season every third or four year, and realize that with the talent level he can get to those schools, the occasion 5-6/5-7 record will happen.

Surely ASU boosters don't think that Tempe will be a tougher place to recruit to than El Paso or Pulliam?

Mike Price would be a great hire for ASU.

I don't have a problem with what happened at Alabama, what I am vehinimately against is the fact that in his 13 years at Wazzou, he had 3 10 win seasons, a nine win season and a mediocre 8-4 season and a 8 losing seasons. The guy's team either hit or miss, and if nothing else I'd like some kind of consistency at the top. I'm not expecting 12-0 every year, but after seeing this team go through seasons of lost expectations under Koetter, I'd hope for a bit more than 8-4 yearly, with one or two 10 win seasons snuck in there.

If I HAD to pick between these three, I'd go with Erickson, but I have an equally uneasy feeling about that.

OP
OP
devilfan02

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with what happened at Alabama, what I am vehinimately against is the fact that in his 13 years at Wazzou, he had 3 10 win seasons, a nine win season and a mediocre 8-4 season and a 8 losing seasons. The guy's team either hit or miss, and if nothing else I'd like some kind of consistency at the top. I'm not expecting 12-0 every year, but after seeing this team go through seasons of lost expectations under Koetter, I'd hope for a bit more than 8-4 yearly, with one or two 10 win seasons snuck in there.

If I HAD to pick between these three, I'd go with Erickson, but I have an equally uneasy feeling about that.

Well put. Price supporters will say he builds for 1-2 years of success at a time because he can't get quality recruits every year (where he's at). He may be able to get the recruits he wants in Tempe nearly every year which will lead to consistent results but who knows. To me it seems he's the definition of a schmooze ball and he uses it to his advantage. He has those politician characteristics that give him an advantage when in the interview process. It may just be me but it tends to rub me the wrong way.

Of the 3 rumored finalists, I'm still goin with Erickson......... but I'm skeptical and for good reason. I just don't want to down the Loren Wade path again. Koetter did a good job the past couple seasons cleaning things up

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score

It was a big deal because he was warned about his partying once by Bama before the whole stripper incident which eventually caused his termination. And his partying did not start in Tuscaloosa, he was just no longer the sheriff in a one horse town like he was in Pullman.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
I'd like to have price. He has recruited very well in El Paso and Wazzou and it should be a little easier to recruit here. I think he can have some good success here. The only thing I don't like it that all these candidates are just so old. How long will they last here?

DevilPrideBAS

Registered
Reaction score
I would much rather have Erickson over Price, but wouldnt mind either one. Yes i know they are older, but lets be realistic, what younger coach do we have a shot at that isnt equivalent to Dirk, or an "up and comer." Dennis Erickson has the florida connection and has been the man in the NFL. I like it...Go Devils.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I would much rather have Erickson over Price, but wouldnt mind either one. Yes i know they are older, but lets be realistic, what younger coach do we have a shot at that isnt equivalent to Dirk, or an "up and comer." Dennis Erickson has the florida connection and has been the man in the NFL. I like it...Go Devils.
Ah yes, the infamous "Florida pipeline" that fans like to talk about. Wasn't Bill Miller supposedly going to provide that as well? In Erickson's last class at Oregon State, he signed exactly zero players from Florida. It's safe to say that after over a decade away from Florida and nearly running Miami into the ground that Erickson has as many recruiting connections in Florida as Mike Stoops. The reality is nobody has any consistent success recruiting Florida except the Florida schools and traditional SEC powerhouses.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dennis Erickson's key to success in college has been recruiting some of the best junior college players. Both Chad Johnson and TJ Houshmandzadeh took that route to Oregon St. That just doesn't appeal to me. But, I'd live with it if I thought he'd take us to the next level. I'm not "feeling it" though. I'd be disappointed if he gets the job.

He was hardly the "man" in the NFL. The Seahawks underachieved and the Niners were brutal when he was there.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah yes, the infamous "Florida pipeline" that fans like to talk about. Wasn't Bill Miller supposedly going to provide that as well? In Erickson's last class at Oregon State, he signed exactly zero players from Florida. It's safe to say that after over a decade away from Florida and nearly running Miami into the ground that Erickson has as many recruiting connections in Florida as Mike Stoops. The reality is nobody has any consistent success recruiting Florida except the Florida schools and traditional SEC powerhouses.

Yeah, the idea that he could go into Florida and get guys is a pipedream.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I still have this feeling it will be Chow. I really doubt the administration agrees to Erickson after the Wade, Hill, and Keller fiascos and Price/Riley is proven mediocrity. Might as well go with Chow and see what he can do.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Looks like it could be Riley. He is being interviewed. Don't know if he is the person that ASU needs.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

De Carolis says Riley's talk with ASU a courtesy call

The Oregon State coach, though, does nothing to stop speculation he's listening to what Lisa Love has to say

Saturday, December 09, 2006 PAUL BUKER

The question of whether Oregon State football coach Mike Riley will take the top job at Arizona State seems close to a resolution.

On Friday, Oregon State athletic director Bob De Carolis indicated that his football coach -- who has three years left on a seven-year contract and is negotiating an extension -- isn't going anywhere.
But Riley issued a statement Friday afternoon that did nothing to quell the speculation.

Although De Carolis spoke to The Oregonian on Friday and issued a brief statement later, Riley declined to answer questions about the ASU search, instead issuing the following through sports information director Steve Fenk:

"It is flattering to be mentioned for openings at other institutions, but that is a result of having a very good program at Oregon State," Riley was quoted as saying.

"My focus right now is on recruiting and playing Missouri in the Sun Bowl."
De Carolis, in his statement, noted: "I'm not surprised coach Riley's name has been mentioned for an opening. He has a very good reputation and is a proven coach."

Published reports said Riley was on ASU athletic director Lisa Love's shortlist as Love pursues a replacement for the fired Dirk Koetter.
The Arizona Republic reported Friday that the field of candidates had been narrowed to three: Riley, Texas-El Paso coach Mike Price and Idaho coach Dennis Erickson, who coached at OSU from 1999 to 2002.

Last week, before OSU's 35-32 win at then-No. 24 Hawaii, he had talked about how excited he was to speak with OSU officials about extending his contract.

Riley has indicated several times this season that he wants to end his coaching career in Corvallis, but his name was bound to come up in any West Coast coaching search.

The Beavers won seven of their final eight regular season games after a 2-3 start to finish 9-4 and take third in the Pacific-10 Conference. OSU cracked the Top 25 for the first time since the 2003 season and earned a bid to the Sept. 29 Sun Bowl against Missouri -- the school's third bowl trip in four years under Riley in his second stint in Corvallis.

Riley has bolted Oregon State before, to become head coach of the NFL's San Diego Chargers after the 1998 season.

"ASU called for permission to talk to Mike," De Carolis said, "and I told Lisa we were in the middle of negotiations to extend (Riley's contract), and she said she knew that.

"I spoke with Mike, and he told me he had no interest in the job, but out of respect to Lisa -- who he worked with at USC -- he would at least take her phone call and tell her he was not interested, that he wants to stay at OSU."

Love spent 16 years as a volleyball coach and an athletic department administrator at USC. Riley was at USC four years, from 1993 to 1996, as offensive coordinator and assistant head coach under John Robinson during the time Love was in the USC administration.

De Carolis did not know if Riley met with Love. He said he assumes the phone call Riley spoke about occurred Thursday night.

"He may have stopped off, maybe not. I don't know that," De Carolis said.
De Carolis and Riley were among the OSU officials at a Thursday Sun Bowl luncheon in El Paso, a luncheon Price also attended.
Price has spoken with ASU officials, but Friday he disputed reports that he was the "leading candidate" for the job.

Erickson also has spoken with Love, but he told The (Spokane) Spokesman-Review newspaper he isn't sure where he stands in the process.

De Carolis said the Oregon State contingent was routed through Phoenix on its return trip, so it would have been easy for Riley to talk to Love in person.

"In this business, you never know," De Carolis said. "But I think Mike is sincere when he talks about staying in Corvallis for a long time, and that is the way we are proceeding."

The Beavers will begin practicing for the Sun Bowl game Thursday and will work out through Dec. 23 before leaving for El Paso.
Paul Buker: 503-221-8167; [email protected]. To read his and Jim Beseda's
OSU blog, go to http://behindbeaversbeat. blogs.oregonlive.com

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think hiring Erickson or Riley would be a mistake. Being a UofA alum, the guy I don't want to see ASU hire is English. Even though he has no head coaching experience, he is one of the best assistant coaches and he can recruit. I hate to say it but hiring him would be like the UofA hiring Mike Stoops, which is not a bad thing.:) I would think ASU needs to hire someone soon because recruiting is taking a hit as each day goes by.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I can live with it. He is better that Koetter, and will bring some speed to the defense. Hopefully he can keep himself and the program in control, hard to believe a guy with his checkered past is the choice.

Reaction score
I like the choice. I agree it's a little puzzling considering his questionable past but I'll take it. What do you all think this does for this years recruting? help, hurt, or nothing?

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, it works. Erickson works for me. We'll have a few more arrests but we will compete.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
Interesting. One year at DUI (U of Idaho) and he's gone. Not a fan of him at all, and not sure how he's going to be better for ASU.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard