Which RB should be the odd man out?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But that didn't happen in 2009. 793 yards 4.4 per attempt and 7 TDs. Projecting to 19 carries a game which is what the top RBs get that would be 1,298 yards and 12 TDs.

Guess who had those numbers last season? Adrian Peterson.

Sophomore slump? I don't know maybe DCs saw on film that if you hit Beanie low he'd go right down but you would think we would have heard some writer or radio/tv person mention it. Anyway the Wells we saw in 2010 didn't look anything like the rookie we got from Ohio State.

It absolutely happened in 2009. That's why even though he had a good ypc average he had zero Big game changing plays. He would have an open hole and boom shoestring tackle. He would get another one and boom stiff breeze pushes him over before he can take advantage. The kid shows no ability to be a home run threat. Comparing him to AP is quite simply a joke.

I can project TH stats from last year yo 19-20 carries a game and it would be
impressive as well. It's meaningless and don't amount to squat other than dreamland.

I like Beanie. I really do. But this is his last chance IMO. He needs to stay 100% healthy all through training and the season. He needs to show he can make some game breaking plays. If he does that I'll be happy to have him on the team. But I'm not holding my breath. A kid who is such a "physical specimen" and so damn young to boot should be able to stay healthy. Ala AP!

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
My expectation is that all the RBs will be odd men out.

We'll start the season with Hightower "winning" the starting job in the preseason by virtue of not fumbling in the 10 carries that he's given. Then Hightower will fumble 3 times in the first 2 games while failing to consistently gain yardage, and Beanie will be given the starting job.

Beanie will solidly gain 4 yards per carry, but won't offer big plays. The lack of production from the passing game will make us lean more on the passing game (insanely enough), and Beanie will complain about not getting enough touches, landing him in the doghouse.

Williams and LSH will then be splitting the 8 carries a game once we're desperately hucking the ball around the field 42 times per game trying to inspire some threat of a passing game. LSH gets injured the first time he gets 6 carries in a game. Williams has to take over kick return duties, so Tim Hightower is returned to the starting job.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
It absolutely happened in 2009. That's why even though he had a good ypc average he had zero Big game changing plays. He would have an open hole and boom shoestring tackle. He would get another one and boom stiff breeze pushes him over before he can take advantage. The kid shows no ability to be a home run threat. Comparing him to AP is quite simply a joke.

I can project TH stats from last year yo 19-20 carries a game and it would be
impressive as well. It's meaningless and don't amount to squat other than dreamland.

I like Beanie. I really do. But this is his last chance IMO. He needs to stay 100% healthy all through training and the season. He needs to show he can make some game breaking plays. If he does that I'll be happy to have him on the team. But I'm not holding my breath. A kid who is such a "physical specimen" and so damn young to boot should be able to stay healthy. Ala AP!

Look I know you have some sort of software that alerts you to any post about Beanie so you can come on and bash him and defend Timmy Butterfingers.

But this is not the same player we saw in 2010:

http://watchnflvideos.com/nfl-highl...rookie-season-highlight-video-2009-10-season/

EDIT: I don't think you can even find a highlight video of Wells for 2010 he was that different.

Oh and by the way projecting stats does mean something. A lot of people get paid a lot of money to do it in many types of businesses. :)

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
My expectation is that all the RBs will be odd men out.

We'll start the season with Hightower "winning" the starting job in the preseason by virtue of not fumbling in the 10 carries that he's given. Then Hightower will fumble 3 times in the first 2 games while failing to consistently gain yardage, and Beanie will be given the starting job.

Beanie will solidly gain 4 yards per carry, but won't offer big plays. The lack of production from the passing game will make us lean more on the passing game (insanely enough), and Beanie will complain about not getting enough touches, landing him in the doghouse.

Williams and LSH will then be splitting the 8 carries a game once we're desperately hucking the ball around the field 42 times per game trying to inspire some threat of a passing game. LSH gets injured the first time he gets 6 carries in a game. Williams has to take over kick return duties, so Tim Hightower is returned to the starting job.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

I don't know that we want any big play "home runs" from our RBs.

TH has two HRs for TDs the last two seasons. One for 70 yards in 2009/10 and one for 80 yards in the 2010/11 season. The Cards lost those two games 45-13 and 41-7.

Heck we're 1-2 when LSH returns a kickoff for a TD.

:D

seesred

Reaction score
IMO we will trade HT. He could of been an above average RB, but, he fumbles at critical times in a game and has caused us to lose on more than one occasion. The Bean has a huge upside. Just get him the opening and he can be explosive, I have a HT Jersey because out of the gate he looked unstopable. You can't give the ball to a starter only 15-20. He needs that feel 25 plus each game.

GBR

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I honestly think what makes Wells effective is he needs to have the threat of a passing game in order to be an effective runner.

In 2009 you had Warner under center. The passing game was a big threat to the other team's defense. In 2010 there was no threat of the passing game being able to hurt opposing defenses. Stack the box and Wells is ineffective.

If and this is a big IF the Cardinals can bring back some semblance of a passing game that can hurt the other team Wells will again be an effective running back.

There is no doubt teams played our offense differently in 2009 vs 2010. Different alignments, different blitzes all because of one Kurt Warner at QB.

Given there is a QB that can make a defense pay for stacking the box Wells will be able to contribute and he is the one I would keep over THT. Wells is not the kind of back who can carry the offense with no passing threat.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Alot will depend on what kind of contract TH is looking for, or gets offered. He may price himself out of the Cards ideal range. With 3 options at RB, the Cards aren't going to give him any kind of big money, nor should they.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Beanie isn't a full-time back in the NFL. I tried to make this argument last year, but got shouted down. He doesn't compare to Chris Johnson, Maurice Jones-Drew, Adrian Peterson, etc. He doesn't have the complete skill set.

What Beanie Wells is is a closer. He can be Brandon Jacobs with more speed, or a less physical Jerome Bettis. These aren't guys you want to give the ball to in the first quarter; they're guys you want to give the ball to in the fourth quarter when you're up by 10 points and want to churn clock.

With this understanding, it's plain why Beanie was unsuccessful in 2010. As Football Outsiders says, you don't win when you run--you run when you win. If the Cards want to get chunks of yardage from Chris Williams or Hightower, then they can do that. But when they want to control the ball late in games, they should turn to Beanie. He won't cough up the ball when all you want to do is keep the clock moving and maintain possession.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Alot will depend on what kind of contract TH is looking for, or gets offered. He may price himself out of the Cards ideal range. With 3 options at RB, the Cards aren't going to give him any kind of big money, nor should they.

Under the new free agency rules, Hightower will still be a restricted free agent. I'd be surprised if the Cards put more than a second-round tender on him. At that cost, they'd likely decline an offer sheet--even if they placed an original-round tender on him, they might be happy to let him leave and use the compensation as part of a trade package.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard