Which is the most memorable play in Cardinals' history?

Which is the most memorable play in Cardinals' history?

• Total voters

Osbern61

Insomniac
Reaction score
I agree with Rugby... it helps that I was at that game and my seats are on the 10 yard line so I saw the play right down the line in front of me. Unbelievable feeling.

I voted for the Dansby play, but if the blocked punt in OT vs Dallas one was an option I'd have picked it.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
The one that ALWAYS sticks in my mind is the KC QB going around their right end and out-running the world's slowest
safety to the end zone for six against us. The play took so long that it still seems to be going on.

CARDS WIN-----I BELIEVE

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The one that ALWAYS sticks in my mind is the KC QB going around their right end and out-running the world's slowest
safety to the end zone for six against us. The play took so long that it still seems to be going on.

CARDS WIN-----I BELIEVE

I had forgotten about that one. I remember getting up and grabbing a beer before he reached the end zone.

Not as painful as watching a entire offense chasing a slow motion linebacker in the Super Bowl. I could have used the head during that one.

Regressing here a bit...

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
I had forgotten about that one. I remember getting up and grabbing a beer before he reached the end zone.

Not as painful as watching a entire offense chasing a slow motion linebacker in the Super Bowl. I could have used the head during that one.

Regressing here a bit...
Did you make it back to your seat in time to watch him score?

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Kind of an off the radar play because it didn't involve a touchdown or wasn't a playoff game, but the play I really like is the 28 yard scramble by Plummer with about 18 seconds left vs New Orleans during the 1998 season. His scramble put the Cards in field goal position with just a few ticks left on the clock and they pulled out the game to go to 8-7. That win kept them in the hunt for the final wildcard spot that they eventually secured the next week vs San Diego.

Fitz Rulz

Registered
Reaction score
my favorite 3 plays

1) Howling TD against Dallas in OT
2) first TD Warner to Fitz, Atlanta game wild card, It set the tone for the rest of our playoffs
3) 1st play of the game Hightower 80 yards TD vs Saints (we lost badly but that play was a beauty)

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
My favorite that hasn't been mentioned was the jacke FG at SDS to put us in the playoffs against SD. That was the first time in my life thr cards had made it to the playoffs I'll never forget running around my house.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
it's got to be Warner-Fitz or Dansby's walk-off wild-card winner.

if only our D didn't completely crap the bed on that final Steelers drive. That Fitz play would have been run at the beginning of every big game when they show highlights...instead of that FREAKING Santonio touchdown.

It wasn't the D in general but Francisco slipping down allowing Holmes to go for 40 down to the 6. The play should have gone for 5 yards at best. Had Francisco made the stop when he should have, they would have had a lot more ground to cover with no timeouts. They might have gotten a FG try at best.

That said, the most memorable play in Cardinal history to me has to be Jacke's 52 yarder against SD putting us into the playoffs for the first time(non-strike year) since 1975. The entire set up to that FG was just as amazing with a tie game and mere seconds left having Metcalf getting a great kick return then Plummer hitting Sanders setting up the FG all with 16 seconds remaining. That was memorable. As for the list, THT scoring putting us into the SB.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
The plays which stick in my memory good or bad are as follows

5) OJ Anderson in his rookie year. I believe we were playing the Cowboys in St. Louis (it had to be Dallas because being in Texas it is probably the only game they televised). The Cards where backed up deep in their own territory. They hand off to OJ and he hardly even gets to the line of scrimmage. I was a kid and knew nothing about OJ and said to myself. "that was a crappy draft pick". Next play, they hand it to him again and he proceeds to bust up the middle and go all the way for a touchdown lol

4) Neil O'Donoghue running on to the field without verily stopping and just missing over a 50 yard field goal which would have won the division or if not no playoffs at all in '84

3) Frank Sander's one hand catch across the middle deep against the Cowboys in the '98 playoff match

2) Fitzgerald's Super Bowl TD

1) Neil Lomax leading a unbelievable comeback on the Niners and Roy Green catching the winning TD in double coverage

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The plays which stick in my memory good or bad are as follows

5) OJ Anderson in his rookie year. I believe we were playing the Cowboys in St. Louis (it had to be Dallas because being in Texas it is probably the only game they televised). The Cards where backed up deep in their own territory. They hand off to OJ and he hardly even gets to the line of scrimmage. I was a kid and knew nothing about OJ and said to myself. "that was a crappy draft pick". Next play, they hand it to him again and he proceeds to bust up the middle and go all the way for a touchdown lol

4) Neil O'Donoghue running on to the field without verily stopping and just missing over a 50 yard field goal which would have won the division or if not no playoffs at all in '84

3) Frank Sander's one hand catch across the middle deep against the Cowboys in the '98 playoff match

2) Fitzgerald's Super Bowl TD

1) Neil Lomax leading a unbelievable comeback on the Niners and Roy Green catching the winning TD in double coverage

#4 sticks out in mind also. Was overseas in the Air Force watching a replay of this game on Stars and Stripes TV. One aspect of this sticks with me is the TE/WR trying to get out of bounds to stop the clock. He trips over his feet with no Redskin near him and is touched by them in bounds so the clock kept going. If he gets out of bounds our kicker has time to settle in for the kick.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
#4 sticks out in mind also. Was overseas in the Air Force watching a replay of this game on Stars and Stripes TV. One aspect of this sticks with me is the TE/WR trying to get out of bounds to stop the clock. He trips over his feet with no Redskin near him and is touched by them in bounds so the clock kept going. If he gets out of bounds our kicker has time to settle in for the kick.

I do not recall him stopping once while running on to the field to make the kick, he basically ran off the sideline right into the snap and hold... I guess they would have called it a penalty if he would have made it to keep things consistent with the nonexistent roughing the passer call on Theismann that game lol

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I do not recall him stopping once while running on to the field to make the kick, he basically ran off the sideline right into the snap and hold... I guess they would have called it a penalty if he would have made it to keep things consistent with the nonexistent roughing the passer call on Theismann that game lol

I do not recall him stopping either. He ran out there maybe stopped for a sec and then the ball was snapped and he missed the kick.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
My Take :

Unfortunately the Santonio catch is the most memorable. It's not often you get to come within literally seconds and inches of a lifelong dream coming true only to watch it crumble right before your very eyes along with the rest of the world.

If it's positive moments only it's Warner to Fitz no contest. We were done, the game was over, nobody thought we could possibly come back and then BAM, we had the lead late in the 4th quarter in the super bowl.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Surprised no one mentioned this play:

One of my favorites for sure. Loved that ending !!

Didn't go back to my South Endzone seat after the halftime meet...watched it (with mdamien13 and my cousin) from the North Endzone seats which no longer exist. We were right above all the 4th quarter action. :D

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
My Take :

Unfortunately the Santonio catch is the most memorable. It's not often you get to come within literally seconds and inches of a lifelong dream coming true only to watch it crumble right before your very eyes along with the rest of the world.

If it's positive moments only it's Warner to Fitz no contest. We were done, the game was over, nobody thought we could possibly come back and then BAM, we had the lead late in the 4th quarter in the super bowl.

almost totally agreed. But for me, there's 2 of each I would say tie in each category. Overall the James Harrison pick-6 from endzone to endzone to end the 1st half is burned into my memory more than any. It was a 14-point swing that turned from our chance to take the lead and instead gave them an even larger lead. That TD was the nail in the coffin that sucked the hope out of almost every Cardinal fans. This play was what made Fitz's TD catch so important

If we're only talking positive. Yeah, pretty much everyone wrote them off when Fitz made that TD reception. I remember I was the only one at a party of die-hard fans that said we could still win. I absolutely loved that "I told you so" moment. But the Dansby fumble recovery for TD was just as memorable as the Holmes TD. controversial game winning TD (we definitely got away with one. Ol' Money Mike BLATANTLY facemasked him. And Holmes, well everyone knows how controversial that was here. Though I believe it was a legit catch)

OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score

Didn't go back to my South Endzone seat after the halftime meet...watched it (with mdamien13 and my cousin) from the North Endzone seats which no longer exist. We were right above all the 4th quarter action. :D

I was there, too! Row 19, Section 1, Seat 1.

What a crazy ending. I just laughed with "only the Cardinals" expression on.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What an awesome ending that was, even though we lost the #1 pick.

Of all the Cards games I've ever been at, I've never seen the enemy fans so devastated leaving the stadium.

My friend and I had a blast saying to all the sad Vikings fans filing past, "Hey, thanks for helping to pay for our new stadium! See you in six years!" :D

For the huge, fat Vikings fans that went by my friend said "Hey, Grimace! Aren't you late for your McDonald's shift!" OR "Tinky-Winky! Can I have your autograph!" :biglaugh:

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
almost totally agreed. But for me, there's 2 of each I would say tie in each category. Overall the James Harrison pick-6 from endzone to endzone to end the 1st half is burned into my memory more than any. It was a 14-point swing that turned from our chance to take the lead and instead gave them an even larger lead. That TD was the nail in the coffin that sucked the hope out of almost every Cardinal fans. This play was what made Fitz's TD catch so important

If we're only talking positive. Yeah, pretty much everyone wrote them off when Fitz made that TD reception. I remember I was the only one at a party of die-hard fans that said we could still win. I absolutely loved that "I told you so" moment. But the Dansby fumble recovery for TD was just as memorable as the Holmes TD. controversial game winning TD (we definitely got away with one. Ol' Money Mike BLATANTLY facemasked him. And Holmes, well everyone knows how controversial that was here. Though I believe it was a legit catch)

I too believe it was a catch. I see the facemask on rodgers as a total "play on" situation. Ball was already out of his hands, that's not what caused him to fumble. Not even sure if that would have given them posession because the turnover had already occurred.

That game is not as great of a memory for me because it just got so ridiculous at the end, nobody could stop anyone it was just a score fest with no defense until that play and then even that play wasn't just a clean defensive play it had the controversy, dont get me wrong I loved that we won but when I think about that game I dont really think of it fondly. I mostly just remember being so pissed that our defense couldn't stop them once in the second half and we blew an enormous lead, again... So frustrating.

I feel that way about the Nate Poole catch. It was cool and everything but I'm not going to remember a meaningless play (meaningless for us) to end a horrible season as one of my best memories just because it screwed the Vikings. Now if we had screwed the Niners or the Cowboys, that woulda been sweet.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard