When could Kyler realistically return

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I was going to do a prediction thread but figured there's only one factor everyone would base their determinations on - whenever Kyler comes back

Dude had surgery (Jan 3) 23 weeks ago

Expected recovery time is 8 to10 months. Kyler is reportedly ahead of schedule but we'll call it 9 months (36 wks)

36 wks minus 23 puts recovery around 13 wks from now

Reg Season starts (Sept 10th) 12 wks from now

Am I crazy for thinking Kyler Murray might only miss the first month or so of the regular season? I mean how long do we expect the post recovery rehab to take?

Because if Murray ends up starting a dozen or so games - it could really ruin tanksgiving - which would mean we are dieting for no good reason - it would mean no top 5 draft picks - no once in a lifetime rookie WR - and no gravy to go with the mashed potatoes

Look, I've been pro tank since the beginning and I'm still pro tank - knowing full well the 23 year old me would punch me in the stomach for speaking such puss-aucracy

But if Kyler is returning sooner than later... that takes me from 2 wins to probably at least 5 or 6?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I was going to do a prediction thread but figured there's only one factor everyone would base their determinations on - whenever Kyler comes back

Dude had surgery (Jan 3) 23 weeks ago

Expected recovery time is 8 to10 months. Kyler is reportedly ahead of schedule but we'll call it 9 months (36 wks)

36 wks minus 23 puts recovery around 13 wks from now

Reg Season starts (Sept 10th) 12 wks from now

Am I crazy for thinking Kyler Murray might only miss the first month or so of the regular season? I mean how long do we expect the post recovery rehab to take?

Because if Murray ends up starting a dozen or so games - it could really ruin tanksgiving - which would mean we are dieting for no good reason - it would mean no top 5 draft picks - no once in a lifetime rookie WR - and no gravy to go with the mashed potatoes

Look, I've been pro tank since the beginning and I'm still pro tank - knowing full well the 23 year old me would punch me in the stomach for speaking such puss-aucracy

But if Kyler is returning sooner than later... that takes me from 2 wins to probably at least 5 or 6?
I am expecting November.

But count on Houston to get us MHJ

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't think Kyler will rush back to this **** show. I think he makes a business decision to stay out until he feels 100% and not a day sooner. I think ARZ's pick will be higher than HOU's. Hell, I am worried HOU will screw us on draft position, they have all the reason in the world to play hard next year and have the talent to win at least 7 - 8 games.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I think much depends on matchups. They need to give him enough games for a decent evaluation and put him in games he has a shot at some success. Week 9 or 10 would do. Those games are win-able, not physically threatening.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
If he wants all that money on his contact from Arizona he'll play as soon as he possibly can.
Does he though? The guy's desire has been questioned for a long time and now he can waltz away with a payday of more than $100MM without having to play. Why go get beaten up with a reconstructed knee for no good reason when you're set for life no matter what?

2024, he's missing the entire year. After the way they're going to start the year they'll decide to sit him and have him do rehab for the entire season.
I don't think he's going to miss the entire year, but I definitely see it as a possibility. Honestly, I think Kyler is going to control the situation more than the team.

We all know I'm not exactly Kyler's biggest fan. I just can't envision the guy wanting to come back and play if the season appears to be lost and out of control early on.

My real thoughts on the situation are: Kyler starts on PUP. If we're 0-4 after the first four games, I can't see him coming back to just get beaten down by the Bengals. The "good" news is that by then we'll have only played one divisional game, and if the rest of the division is a little middling, we play the Rams and Seahawks. That could be the impetus for us to push Kyler back in to try to win against them and try to claw back in even if that would leave us at 2-5.

Unfortunately, those are away games. I've had 7 games out on my mind the whole time, so a home debut against Baltimore in late October, functionally the start of November, makes some sense. Harry's right, the softer part of the season is right around this point, so you can give Kyler a chance to look pretty decent, even if the season is dead.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
If he wants all that money on his contact from Arizona he'll play as soon as he possibly can.

You're assuming he does. He has $103m of the contract and if he's as fed up with the front office and organization as the fan base then why rush back? Especially if the line looks as bad as it does on paper. Come back and get killed or sit out and piss off the front office? Worse they're going to do is release him and some other team will pick him up for another ridiculous contract.

I don't think he's going to miss the entire year, but I definitely see it as a possibility. Honestly, I think Kyler is going to control the situation more than the team.

We all know I'm not exactly Kyler's biggest fan. I just can't envision the guy wanting to come back and play if the season appears to be lost and out of control early on.

This is what I'm getting at. I'm thinking of it from Kyler's POV with the stuff I wrote above. If the line is giving up 10 sack per game I wouldn't be rushing back.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Does he though? The guy's desire has been questioned for a long time and now he can waltz away with a payday of more than $100MM without having to play. Why go get beaten up with a reconstructed knee for no good reason when you're set for life no matter what?

My real thoughts on the situation are: Kyler starts on PUP. If we're 0-4 after the first four games, I can't see him coming back to just get beaten down by the Bengals. The "good" news is that by then we'll have only played one divisional game, and if the rest of the division is a little middling, we play the Rams and Seahawks. That could be the impetus for us to push Kyler back in to try to win against them and try to claw back in even if that would leave us at 2-5.

Unfortunately, those are away games. I've had 7 games out on my mind the whole time, so a home debut against Baltimore in late October, functionally the start of November, makes some sense. Harry's right, the softer part of the season is right around this point, so you can give Kyler a chance to look pretty decent, even if the season is dead.
100 mil isn't 230 mil. I think he wants to play football. The desire part for me is does he want to put in the work to be great. I think he's still a competitor and like to compete.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
You're assuming he does. He has $103m of the contract and if he's as fed up with the front office and organization as the fan base then why rush back? Especially if the line looks as bad as it does on paper. Come back and get killed or sit out and piss off the front office? Worse they're going to do is release him and some other team will pick him up for another ridiculous contract.

This is what I'm getting at. I'm thinking of it from Kyler's POV with the stuff I wrote above. If the line is giving up 10 sack per game I wouldn't be rushing back.
See my post above. At least that's my opinion. Kyler likes being a part of the NFL community, and wants to play.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought he would take the year off. Then he did the exact opposite of what I expected and that was embrace Arizona.

I am going to go with November 12th against the Falcons. Almost exactly half the season

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
100 mil isn't 230 mil. I think he wants to play football. The desire part for me is does he want to put in the work to be great. I think he's still a competitor and like to compete.
But 100m + a new contract with another would probably be > 230m. He has enough of a resume that some QB needy team will give him a nice contract if he was release from AZ. Just look at the money being thrown at other mid QBs.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
But 100m + a new contract with another would probably be > 230m. He has enough of a resume that some QB needy team will give him a nice contract if he was release from AZ. Just look at the money being thrown at other mid QBs.
If he don't play who would be db enough to give him another huge contract? I just don't see it. Plus probably doesn't make it so.

Outerlimits

Veteran
Reaction score
With the effort he is putting during recovery, I think it will be sooner than I thought a couple months ago. Game 5 would not surprise me at all.

I agree with Stout that if he doesn't play at all this season for whatever reason, his days as a Cardinal are over. His actions during recovery though strongly indicate he is eager to return ASAP.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I suspect he will be on the field early to mid October unless there is an unexpected setback. I think it will be a few games where he is tentative before he gets more comfortable.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
With the effort he is putting during recovery, I think it will be sooner than I thought a couple months ago. Game 5 would not surprise me at all.

I agree with Stout that if he doesn't play at all this season for whatever reason, his days as a Cardinal are over. His actions during recovery though strongly indicate he is eager to return ASAP.
Yeah, you gotta figure he's itching to get back at it ASAP.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you gotta figure he's itching to get back at it ASAP.
The fact that's he putting in the work to recover from surgery is positive

But it's all mental for him to step up his game so if he's not working on that then he will still be a playground player and trying to wing it. This is the key for him to succeed.

DC's have him figured out and it's up to him to learn to read a defense.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
The best thing for the Cards is that he comes back and plays great. That would eliminate the need to draft a new QB.

That said, he can come back and play great for the second half of season.

One factor I’m not sure of is how many games does he have to miss where insurance pays his contract and not Bidwill. Don’t for a second think that’s not in play.