Whats the deal with Robin Williams?

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I remember right, Mason was all upset over Williams's airport security gag in Live on Broadway, which if you've heard, it's really generic. It's the same kind of airport security commentary that Carlin, Seinfeld, and Foxworthy (and I'm sure a bunch of others) have all done for their biggest tv specials, but for some reason Mason whined about it. To claim that only 10% of his stuff is his own is just ridiculous.

Last edited:
OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Robin Williams is an outstanding comedian and a VERY talented actor. Has he done soem duds? Certainly. But there is no denying the guys talent.
Absolutely, Williams is one of my favorite comedians which one probably can't tell from my first post. Its just that for a guy of such ability, his track record with comedy films isn't near where one would probably think it could be.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Billy Crystal is one of Robin Williams' closest friends in the comedy business, if he actually did say that, I find it really hard to believe that he was being serious.

There is so much hate in the world nowadays, not only with sports, but with everything else. It sucks that the great ad-lib comedian ever has to be subjected to all this. Nobody is saying he makes great project choices, but to write him off as a guy who steals material is ridiculous. No offense, of course, Gad.

Chap, you're one of my favorite posters, and it's not important enough to me to get into a disagreement with you over this.

All I suggest is Googling "robin williams thief" and see what you come up with. You'll find he's considered a legendary joke thief, along with Denis Leary and Milton Burle.

I'm almost positive the comment came during either a Biography or E! biography episode. I can't remember the other person they got comments on the topic (Letterman?), but they mentioned his reputation.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chap, you're one of my favorite posters, and it's not important enough to me to get into a disagreement with you over this.

All I suggest is Googling "robin williams thief" and see what you come up with. You'll find he's considered a legendary joke thief, along with Denis Leary and Milton Burle.

I'm almost positive the comment came during either a Biography or E! biography episode. I can't remember the other person they got comments on the topic (Letterman?), but they mentioned his reputation.
Milton Burle? Now you are saying bad things about Milton Burle?

:)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Gad's 10% comment is a bit extreme, but it's well known within the industry that Williams is a shameless joke stealer. here's a couple articles about joke stealing, both of which mention Williams:

http://www.radaronline.com/from-the-magazine/2007/02/take_the_funny_and_run_1.php

and from the LA Times (I remember reading this a little while ago):

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/l...,1,2107645.story?coll=la-headlines-california

personally, I think Williams' comedic ability dried up when he did, much like the rest of my heroes from the late 70's early 80's. Chevy, Robin Williams, Steve Martin - all of them are painful to watch in any comedy they make now. The only one who came out still with his funny bone intact is Bill Murray IMO.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
I think Gad's 10% comment is a bit extreme, but it's well known within the industry that Williams is a shameless joke stealer. here's a couple articles about joke stealing, both of which mention Williams:

http://www.radaronline.com/from-the-magazine/2007/02/take_the_funny_and_run_1.php

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/l...,1,2107645.story?coll=la-headlines-california

personally, I think Williams' comedic ability dried up when he did, much like the rest of my heroes from the late 70's early 80's. Chevy, Robin Williams, Steve Martin - all of them are painful to watch in any comedy they make now. The only one who came out still with his funny bone intact is Bill Murray IMO.

Stop stealing my material...jack ass!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It may have been slight exaggeration, sometimes know as a comedic technique. ;)

your begging for some kind of wisecrack here dealing with your technique obviously being your own because it's not good enough to be stolen but since I'm not getting paid to do this, nor have much brain power at the moment, i got nothing for ya! :)

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Did you happen to see him on "The Actors Studio" on Bravo recently? I just happened to catch it, and he was hilarious. I didn't think he was that funny anymore either, but he was fantastic that night.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you happen to see him on "The Actors Studio" on Bravo recently? I just happened to catch it, and he was hilarious. I didn't think he was that funny anymore either, but he was fantastic that night.

he's probably back on the powder... just kidding. I'll actually hedge a little bit on what I said about all his comedic abilities drying up when he did - I do there's still something left in the tank, and you see sparks of it here and there, but more than anything I think he's making REALLLLLLYYYYY bad career choices as far as the comedic vehicles he's doing.

I actually thought he was pretty good in Insomnia playing against type and was the only decent thing about the ridiculously heavy-handed One Hour Photo (and that's coming from a big Romanek fan).

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
your begging for some kind of wisecrack here dealing with your technique obviously being your own because it's not good enough to be stolen but since I'm not getting paid to do this, nor have much brain power at the moment, i got nothing for ya! :)

It's all good. I receive any kind of response as affirmation.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
For pure comedy, nothing really comes close to his Good Morning, Vietnam. I've said for years that for some of these old school comedians, they need to go back to their roots. I'd love to see a Robin Williams movie where he just ad libs most of the time, or Chevy Chase in a new Fletch movie, or Eddie Murphy as a wisecracking R-rated cop or convict.

But they just don't do those kind of movies anymore.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd love to see a Robin Williams movie where he just ad libs most of the time, ...

I thought this was Good Morning, Vietnam. ;)

I'd be all for a documentary that follows Robin Williams. Some people are just better away from the traditional confines of performance. Like Kevin Smith ... he's just way funnier standing in front of an audience with a mic telling stories than he is as a writer or director.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm. I thought the implication was there that I meant a new movie.

OK, Chap, jokemeister mode off. Let's root for a new movie where Robin Williams just plays Robin Williams. I'm with you on this.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
Wasn't he also the genie in Aladdin? :p I love Robin Williams and I thought his last movie was decent.

Does this thread mean that License to Wed was a horrible movie? Haven't seen it, but probably will for Robin Williams.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I've never liked American comedians that much, Robin Williams is brilliant when he's on but that's asking a lot considering how hard that would be to do on que time after time and it does not translate to movies very well.

Monty Python now that's some funny stuff there.

It's not really traditional stand up comedy but hey even Benny Hill was funnier than most of our comedians.

The Dentist scene with Harvey Korman and Tim Conway still makes me belly laugh watching it.

Richard Pryor in his prime was one funny dude and Chris Rock is hilarious.

Seinfeld... eh loved the show but as a stand up comedian, not so much.

I used to love SCTV, which was funnier than SNL ever was IMO. However individually Chase and that gang did funnier movies, ie my avatar.

Bill Murray is a very funny guy, baby steps, lol.

Oh shout out to Jonathan Winters, extremely funny guy.

Last edited:

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While his style has certainly changed, I still think Steve Martin is a genius. I like a lot of the more serious stuff he does these days.

I agree that Bill Murray has come out of the drug-induced heyday of the 70's and 80's with his style most intact.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
but more than anything I think he's making REALLLLLLYYYYY bad career choices as far as the comedic vehicles he's doing.

Bad career choices? Are you kidding? You might not like the movies, but the man is swimming in money and still commands a pretty hefty price tag to sign his name on a contract.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While his style has certainly changed, I still think Steve Martin is a genius. I like a lot of the more serious stuff he does these days.

I agree that Bill Murray has come out of the drug-induced heyday of the 70's and 80's with his style most intact.

With Ryan Reynolds doing his best Chevy Chase impression in every movie, it's sort of like none of those guys ever left.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score

He was on (I think) Letterman recently and played Banjo with Bela Fleck and some other guys. Steve can really play. Awesome incredible stuff.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bad career choices? Are you kidding? You might not like the movies, but the man is swimming in money and still commands a pretty hefty price tag to sign his name on a contract.

he's changed agencies within the last five years - that's not the sign of someone happy with their career. And his price tag ain't nearly as high as it was since the late 90's when he was at least hit or miss, ratheer than just consistent BO comedy bomb.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedzBetz