What would a future be without Kyler?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Sad!

IMO Kyler can be a guy, even if he doesn't make another leap, who will keep you having winning seasons and every once in a while catch lightening in a bottle and get you to the promised land.

In 15 seasons with the Saints, Drew Brees had five losing records, and they were all 7-9 seasons. They went to the playoffs nine times and won the Super Bowl once.

Seems like a fun time to me.
Also, I am probably being a little dramatic. I feel like a kid who was so excited to go to Disney and am now just waiting in line for 4 hours for rides. I just didn't think the Cardinals having a young QB would be like this. lol Chiefs and Bills make it look so easy.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Also, I am probably being a little dramatic. I feel like a kid who was so excited to go to Disney and am now just waiting in line for 4 hours for rides. I just didn't think the Cardinals having a young QB would be like this. lol Chiefs and Bills make it look so easy.
Yeah. My foundational NFL experience was the 98 Cards and the late 90s/Early 00 Bucs. Everything after the Cards playoff game basically sucked, but those Tampa teams under Dungy with Mike Alstott, Ronde Barber, Warren Sapp, etc. were so good and fun to me.

I don't think that Jon Gruden made much of a difference in their reaching the Super Bowl, I think that the dice just kind of fell their way that time.

Just be happy that our young QB didn't end up being Sam Darnold.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

This is a good analogy.

Kyler is leaching all the fun out of having a young, talented franchise QB by having so many questions about aspects of his personality and leadership. And now all this contract nonsense.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That’s a great analogy. It’s exactly how I feel.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have become very apathetic in regards to Kyler Murray. I know he is the best young QB we have ever had. I also know that heading into year 4, he is more of a work in progress than I hoped he would be as a QB. When we drafted him I thought he would be more advanced in his pre and post snap game as well as his protections and in-pocket movement. I also thought he would have developed more as a leader than he seems to have. Honestly, I kinda feel like he is what he is at this point ad am not sure how much more he is going to develop outside of just experience.

Personally, I don't believe we are going to win any meaningful games with him as our QB. I don't believe we will ever be able to give him enough help on the roster to do so if we extend him. I also don't have any trust that Keim can trade him and draft a replacement. Kinda damned if we do and damned if we don't.
Post of the day

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I mean, to be fair, this team has cut guys that they've put on souvenir cups during the season. I've had multiple Arizona Cardinals calendars spoiled because I flip over to August and a guy who's off the team is reppin' the last month of summer.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I have become very apathetic in regards to Kyler Murray. I know he is the best young QB we have ever had. I also know that heading into year 4, he is more of a work in progress than I hoped he would be as a QB. When we drafted him I thought he would be more advanced in his pre and post snap game as well as his protections and in-pocket movement. I also thought he would have developed more as a leader than he seems to have. Honestly, I kinda feel like he is what he is at this point ad am not sure how much more he is going to develop outside of just experience.

Personally, I don't believe we are going to win any meaningful games with him as our QB. I don't believe we will ever be able to give him enough help on the roster to do so if we extend him. I also don't have any trust that Keim can trade him and draft a replacement. Kinda damned if we do and damned if we don't.
I will agree if he doesn't continue to grow.

You were one of the most vocal but reasonable critics of selecting him in the first place. Your most correct criticism was his lack of college starts, which we have seen the results of over the past few seasons.

I think he is a 50/50 proposition right now. He has the talent, but does he have the desire? Is he introspective enough to see the legitimate concerns of fans, the media, and the Cardinals?

He is a phenomenal talent and people calling for trading him are a bit off base.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I will agree if he doesn't continue to grow.

You were one of the most vocal but reasonable critics of selecting him in the first place. Your most correct criticism was his lack of college starts, which we have seen the results of over the past few seasons.

I think he is a 50/50 proposition right now. He has the talent, but does he have the desire? Is he introspective enough to see the legitimate concerns of fans, the media, and the Cardinals?

He is a phenomenal talent and people calling for trading him are a bit off base.
Even I would tread pretty carefully here. A bunch of picks are worthless unless you have a path to another QB. This is the reason I believe the time has past to trade him this season. Play out the year. If you still don't feel he can get you over the hump, package him and additional picks to move up and get another guy in next years draft.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
The thing is, it's clearly not "The same old Cardinals". The win loss record the last 10 years is way above the franchises historic record.

4 of the franchises top 6 seasons ever have come in the last 10 years.

In the 100+ year history of the franchise 24% of it's playoff games have come in it's last 10 years. 59% has come in the last 14 years.

For the first time in history they have a young franchise QB (and no, they aren't doing anything to screw that up).

I understand many fans have battered wife syndrome but this isn't the "same old Cards". This is the best 10 year period of Cardinals football ever.
SAME. OLD. CARDS.

"But Michael is different!!"

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I have harped on this all off season.
No, you've harped that they can't spend money like the big boys because they don't have the cash. That isn't this. This is them not even deigning to spend to the mean, to compete with mid-level teams. This is bottom of the barrel bush league lack of effort or expenditure. This is amateur hour.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, you've harped that they can't spend money like the big boys because they don't have the cash. That isn't this. This is them not even deigning to spend to the mean, to compete with mid-level teams. This is bottom of the barrel bush league lack of effort or expenditure. This is amateur hour.
I think you’re mistaking Chris for Krango.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
SAME. OLD. CARDS.

"But Michael is different!!"
these things can often be timing

the Rams are on top because they just gave Aaron Donald and Cooper Kupp contract extensions

I am willing to bet that last year the Rams cash spending was below or at the cap: mostly due to the giant dead money hit they took on Jared Goff.

run these figures after the Murray extension and the Cards will be ahead of the 49ers and behind the Rams

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sort of but more of a mixture of both things. Everything about this off season seems to indicate a lack of liquidity and on hand cash.

There were plenty of ways they could have made a lot of cap space and then strengthened the team but they just didn't do it. It would have been expensive but that's how other teams manage the cap.

They could have signed Kyler early and had everyone fired up for the off season but they didn't do it. Instead they are waiting as late as possible to extend him.

Those two things say Michael doesn't have the cash.

Now sprinkle in a healthy dose of "10 wins is good enough" and now you have an owner who can spend as little as possible to get the base result he wants.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Sort of but more of a mixture of both things. Everything about this off season seems to indicate a lack of liquidity and on hand cash.

There were plenty of ways they could have made a lot of cap space and then strengthened the team but they just didn't do it. It would have been expensive but that's how other teams manage the cap.

They could have signed Kyler early and had everyone fired up for the off season but they didn't do it. Instead they are waiting as late as possible to extend him.

Now sprinkle in a healthy dose of "10 wins is good enough" and now you have an owner who can spend as little as possible to get the base result he wants.
If this is true, if we can't even break past the top THIRTY of spending in the league, the Bidwills need to be gone yesterday. Unacceptable.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If this is true, if we can't even break past the top THIRTY of spending in the league, the Bidwills need to be gone yesterday. Unacceptable.
It would make sense as to why so many teams wait until August/Sept. They need the TV money in hand first.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This last weekend I was in OC and we got on a plane and Derrick Hall and his family was there. He was very nice but it struck me that:

#1 the CEO of the Dbacks just decided that he would fly his family on a discount airline and not pay the $40 a person to get on first.

#2 in the first third of the season he was like "vacation time".

We care way more than they do...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose