What we have to look forward to

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you could move Fitzgerald and get a dominate LT I'd pull the trigger in a heartbeat. WR is a complete dependent position and you can find them alot easier than dominate lineman. Plus I'd rather get rid of him a season early than late. Dion Sanders on the post game even wondered if Fitz was passed his prime.

Give the money to Albert, Get Cooper back trade your whole draft to move up and get Bridgewater

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'll take Veldheer and Mack

Veldheer Cooper Mack Watford Massie

One can dream, right? There would be a lot of pure strength in that lineup

OP
OP
C

cardinalsfan

Veteran
Reaction score
If you could move Fitzgerald and get a dominate LT I'd pull the trigger in a heartbeat. WR is a complete dependent position and you can find them alot easier than dominate lineman. Plus I'd rather get rid of him a season early than late. Dion Sanders on the post game even wondered if Fitz was passed his prime.

Give the money to Albert, Get Cooper back trade your whole draft to move up and get Bridgewater

I've always been on board with wanting to keep Fitzgerald but this is terrible. We're putting the cart before the horse. We need to invest big time in a quality tackle instead of bottom of the barrel free agents. Whats Fitzs number next year? 18 million? Not that we can trade or cut him without a huge cap hit, but we need to just let his contract expire and hopefully resign him at a reasonable price. Invest the money on the OL first! Seattle and San Fran have no superstars at WR yet they seem to be doing OK.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

A) Fitz's contract is not movable, especially with all of the dead money we already have.

B) What's wrong with building around Fitz? Get a legit QB in the draft, Cooper back next year, and a competent LT and Fitz will dominate once again.

This assertion that we need to get rid of Fitz needs to die a quick death.

OP
OP
C

cardinalsfan

Veteran
Reaction score
A) Fitz's contract is not movable, especially with all of the dead money we already have.

B) What's wrong with building around Fitz? Get a legit QB in the draft, Cooper back next year, and a competent LT and Fitz will dominate once again.

Again I've never been a part of the trade Fitz bandwagon. I know his contract isn't movable, but it seems like his best days are behind him, not worth the enormous contract we are paying him (which is on par with what top QBs make), and free us up to sign quality players along the line. Just don't think with our lack of talent around him that it is benefiting us to keep a player who costs so much. If they can figure out how to make his contract work and sign a top flight OT I'd be all for it. I just don't see it when we're handicapped by this contract... They'll need to figure something out.

Fitz salary for upcoming years...
2014 - 18 million
2015 - 21.2 million
2016 - 18.2 million

Aaron Rodgers salary...
2014 - 17.9 million
2015 - 18.6 million
2016 - 19.6 million

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score

I personally think it needs to be considered. I haven't seen Megatron win a SB for Detroit or Johnson win a SB for Houston nor has Fitz won a SB for the Cardinals. I have seen teams with WRs that fit roles win SBs. In the NFL today elite WRs like MEgatron and Fitz are a luxury.

Go back ten Super Bowls and show me one team that had a elite WR on it that was a difference maker. Not the Giants, Patriots, Ravens, Steelers, Saints, Packers or Colts had a WR the caliber of Fitz or Johnson but they all had solid TEs who could block and catch and WRs that filled different roles. Yes they all also had solid to great QBs.

18 million could go a long way toward fixing this team at LT, QB, and TE.

The love story with Fitz probably should end. Is he a nice guy, YES, is he a good ambassador for the team, YES, is he the face of the team, YES, is he going to win the Cardinals a Super Bowl, NO. Give the fans a Lombardi trophy and they will quickly forget Fitz.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I personally think it needs to be considered. I haven't seen Megatron win a SB for Detroit or Johnson win a SB for Houston nor has Fitz won a SB for the Cardinals. I have seen teams with WRs that fit roles win SBs. In the NFL today elite WRs like MEgatron and Fitz are a luxury.

Go back ten Super Bowls and show me one team that had a elite WR on it that was a difference maker. Not the Giants, Patriots, Ravens, Steelers, Saints, Packers or Colts had a WR the caliber of Fitz or Johnson but they all had solid TEs who could block and catch and WRs that filled different roles. Yes they all also had solid to great QBs.

18 million could go a long way toward fixing this team at LT, QB, and TE.

The love story with Fitz probably should end. Is he a nice guy, YES, is he a good ambassador for the team, YES, is he the face of the team, YES, is he going to win the Cardinals a Super Bowl, NO. Give the fans a Lombardi trophy and they will quickly forget Fitz.

I've never been one to really consider this either, but anything and everything should be on the table to see how the team can improve. that 18 million dollar number is a stranglehold for a guy completely dependent on another position getting him the ball. And I know it's blasphemy to say, but as good as Fitz is, I do believe we're starting to see him slow down just a little bit. The guy used to make plays out of absolutely nothing...even in 2011 when we had Skolb as our QB...but the last two seasons, I can't recall one truly special play he made.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

This... And I am expecting to see Fitz agree to a restructured deal...

OP
OP
C

cardinalsfan

Veteran
Reaction score
This... And I am expecting to see Fitz agree to a restructured deal...

The only concerns I have with restructuring is that it has never been cheaper with Larry. We can't extend him any longer. Can't give him anymore money immediately. It would need to be a pay cut. Will he do it? Hope so.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I've never been one to really consider this either, but anything and everything should be on the table to see how the team can improve. that 18 million dollar number is a stranglehold for a guy completely dependent on another position getting him the ball. And I know it's blasphemy to say, but as good as Fitz is, I do believe we're starting to see him slow down just a little bit. The guy used to make plays out of absolutely nothing...even in 2011 when we had Skolb as our QB...but the last two seasons, I can't recall one truly special play he made.

Agree Cheese, Fitz has not looked like the same player for the last season and so far this season. A couple of years ago he reaches back and makes a catch on the under throw by Palmer last night for the first INT. Now its another story. If a team like the Colts can let go of a guy like Manning then there is no reason why Fitz can't be expendable.

This brings up a good question in my mind. IF BA had been the HC here when Manning was shopping himself around instead of Whiz would the chances Manning have signed here instead of Denver been greater since he was familiar with BA?

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Again, due to circumstances that I alrighty highlighted, it can't and won't happen in 2014.

That being said, next season, when the team continues to add pieces through the draft, we could see a whole different offense with a capable young QB and a line that can block (Cooper is already in the mix). If it all adds up like it should, Fitz's production will increase exponentially and will mean much more to this team than ever before.

Remember, This is a team in transition. Keim had the unenviable task of cleaning the trash Graves left behind with bad contracts and poor personnel moves. Yes, Fitz's contract is an albatross, but at least we know he's an elite talent and is more of an asset than a liability, unlike Colledge (one of the "brilliant" Graves moves still here).

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've always been on board with wanting to keep Fitzgerald but this is terrible. We're putting the cart before the horse. We need to invest big time in a quality tackle instead of bottom of the barrel free agents. Whats Fitzs number next year? 18 million? Not that we can trade or cut him without a huge cap hit, but we need to just let his contract expire and hopefully resign him at a reasonable price. Invest the money on the OL first! Seattle and San Fran have no superstars at WR yet they seem to be doing OK.

His contract expires in 2018, and it would be a $13m+ CAP hit if traded at end of this league year.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree Cheese, Fitz has not looked like the same player for the last season and so far this season. A couple of years ago he reaches back and makes a catch on the under throw by Palmer last night for the first INT. Now its another story. If a team like the Colts can let go of a guy like Manning then there is no reason why Fitz can't be expendable.

This brings up a good question in my mind. IF BA had been the HC here when Manning was shopping himself around instead of Whiz would the chances Manning have signed here instead of Denver been greater since he was familiar with BA?

yes, until manning watched tape of our OL.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Again, due to circumstances that I alrighty highlighted, it can't and won't happen in 2014.

That being said, next season, when the team continues to add pieces through the draft, we could see a whole different offense with a capable young QB and a line that can block (Cooper is already in the mix). If it all adds up like it should, Fitz's production will increase exponentially and will mean much more to this team than ever before.

Remember, This is a team in transition. Keim had the unenviable task of cleaning the trash Graves left behind with bad contracts and poor personnel moves. Yes, Fitz's contract is an albatross, but at least we know he's an elite talent and is more of an asset than a liability, unlike Colledge (one of the "brilliant" Graves moves still here).

Yup. :thumbup:

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
How much cap room does ARZ have next year? We can suggest FA OT but I thought ARZ wasn't going to have a lot of $$$ available to spend next year because of some of the extensions they gave are going to kick in.

I think ARZ will have a hard time getting W's the rest of the year so they may be in position to land a Jake Matthews. I am kind of leery about Kouandjio & Lewan but they would still be a huge improvement over what is on the roster now. I hoped ARZ would have traded a 3rd rounder in the 2014 draft to KC for Albert which I hear KC was looking for after deals fell through during this year's draft. But as well as KC has been playing I don't think they will let Albert go. Jared Veldheer is freakish physical specimen but OAK's OL is really not much better than ours plus I don't think OAK will let him walk either. It will be hard to find an OT in FA that will actually help ARZ. The draft seems like a more sensible way to go.

OP
OP
C

cardinalsfan

Veteran
Reaction score
How much cap room does ARZ have next year? We can suggest FA OT but I thought ARZ wasn't going to have a lot of $$$ available to spend next year because of some of the extensions they gave are going to kick in.

I think ARZ will have a hard time getting W's the rest of the year so they may be in position to land a Jake Matthews. I am kind of leery about Kouandjio & Lewan but they would still be a huge improvement over what is on the roster now. I hoped ARZ would have traded a 3rd rounder in the 2014 draft to KC for Albert which I hear KC was looking for after deals fell through during this year's draft. But as well as KC has been playing I don't think they will let Albert go. Jared Veldheer is freakish physical specimen but OAK's OL is really not much better than ours plus I don't think OAK will let him walk either. It will be hard to find an OT in FA that will actually help ARZ. The draft seems like a more sensible way to go.

With the draft the Cardinals desperately need to get a QB of the future from this class. They can't continue to get everyones scrapes. It's easier to find a decent OT in FA than it is a QB.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Our key problem is that we have a stationary pocket QB operating behind a porous O-line.

Everything is out of synch. You can get away with a shaky O-line if you have a mobile QB who can extend plays. You can get away with a stationary QB if you have a sound O-line across the board.

In both these instances, your receivers gain extra time to gain separation. (Palmer's been throwing into tight or non-existent windows).

I don't think we can fix our O-line situation overnight. (It may take a couple of good drafts, developmental time and luck). While we go thru the process, Palmer will be poor fit.

Fitz is a fixture, the ultimate "core player." Trading him would be like shoveling sand out of a hole while it fills in behind you.

We'll have to wait till the next off-season before we address QB and OL. Meanwhile, we're fast nearing the point in this season where we need to learn whether a mobile QB (Stanton) can deliver for us behind our existing O-line.

roland77

Rookie
Reaction score
I'm not saying we should trade him necessarily, but the "problem" with Fitzgerald is mostly that he plays a position that just isn't nearly as important as left tackle or quarterback.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You have to get out of that contract, its crazy to pay a WR 20 million a year. I understand when they gave it to him they kind of had to if for no other reason to show the fans they were serious about winning, but damn that's a lot of money for a position that's really not that important.

Tom Brady looks like he can make anyone look good, same for Rodgers or Breed. None of those guys have big time legit star wide receivers like Johnson or Fitzgerald. Plus hate to say but Fitz does look like he's slowing down when was the last time you seen him just go up and get it like he used to its been awhile. I'm not saying he's the problem at all but looking ahead that's a lot of money