What video games have you been playing lately?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been/am playing:

Final Fantasy I & II on the DS
Counterstrike Source on PC

Once my TV gets back from the shop tomorrow, I will resume playing

Zelda: Twilight Princess and Excite Truck Wii

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Copious amounts of Madden '06 (from 2005) on PS2. I am starting my sixth season after a stunning Super Bowl loss.

Here is my story;

2009 Cardinals (be sure to hum the NFL Films music and pretend they guy is narrating)

So I finished Season 5 (2009) of my Cardinals franchise. The team turned a profit of $39M thanks mostly to the new stadium (open air, since I am still playing Madden '05 on PS2).

Led by QB JaMarcus Russell, RBs Larry Johnson and rookie Bennie Anderson, the Cardinals had a most formidable ground attack, once going an entire half without attempting a pass. The receiving game was on the backburner with Anquan Boldin returning from an injury which kept him out of most of 2008, but allowed rookie WR George Smith to have a breakout year. Larry Fitzgerald was the Cardinals leading receiver, but the best target for Russell was TE Randy McMichael, completing his third season with the club.

The defense was anchored by a multitude of pro-bowl players, including four 99-rated players in the secondary; CBs Eric Green and Antrel Rolle and safeties Adrian Wilson and Greg Wesley. The linebacking corp, led by former Penn State standout and 2007 draft pick, Chike Ndukwe continued its assault on opposing QBs, knocking six different quarterbacks out of games and three of them for the season (Vick, Hasselbeck and Eagles rookie Lewis).

Led by new head coach John Fox, who replaced Denny Green who led the Cardinals to their first Super Bowl victory in 2006, the club began its assault on the record books by winning its first 6 games by an average margin of 20 points. Offensive coordinator Vinnie Testeverde and Defensive coordinator Mike Singletary proved that those who can, teach. Team ownership met and agreed that various sliders should be adjusted, to level the playing field for teams attempting to compete with the ferocious Cardinals club.

The changes paid dividends, as in week 7, the Cardinals won their game 6-3. The tight contests continued throughout the season and thanks to some late-game heroics by Neil Rackers, most notably a 65 yard game winner in week 15, the Cardinals took their streak and chance for an undefeated season into the week 17 contest against the hated St Louis Rams. In a defensive struggle, the Cardinals drove the field in the fourth quarter, trailing 10-7. Inside their own 20 yard line, Bennie Anderson, a model of consistency all season long, was hit by a blitzing linebacker, fumbled the ball and was unable to recover. The Rams went three and out and the Cardinals started the game's final drive on the STL 35 yard line, with 1:05 and no timeouts. On second and long, JaMarcus Russell was knocked out of the game and long-time backup Brandon Kirsch led the team down the field, before throwing a pass to McMichael that was intercepted by the Rams. With such a heartbreaking loss, was no way to head into the off week/wild card weekend.

The Cardinals defense built epic fronts which no playoff opponent could break through. Yet the divisional and conference games were very tight contests, as the offense continued to struggle in finding a rhythm.

The Super Bowl would pit the Cardinals against the San Diego Chargers. On the opening drive, the Cardinals held the Chargers to a punt and drove the field down to a fourth and goal on the two. Fox called for a run, but the defense held pat. Scoreless at halftime, SD running back LaDanian Tomlinson had been held to just 30 yards rushing, despite touching the ball seemingly every play. Cardinals defenders knocked QB Drew Brees out of the game in the third quarter, but not before he led his team to a TD and a 7-0 lead. The Cardinals offense was stagnant, but managed to score on a 45 yard FG by Rackers as the third quarter ended.

The Arizona defense continued its dominance, holding SD scoreless the remainder of the game. Trailing 7-3, the Cardinals drove the field and now, inside the 20, the team needed a touchdown, as a FG wouldnt win the title. On a single-back stretch play right, a play the Cardinals had run 100 times during the season, All-pro RB Larry Johnson was hit helmet to arm by SD LB Steve Foley. The ball popped out of Johnson's grasp and was recovered by the defense. Foley, who was shot in the buttocks in 2006, was named the game's MVP, as the Chargers hoisted the Lombardi trophy and the Cardinals enter the offseason with a 18-2 record and three number one picks (4,7 and 31) secured through a series of trades.

Last edited:
OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha, a 65 yard game winner... that's awesome. So did you import a draft class from NCAA in order to get Russell and such?

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been playing Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood (review: http://xbox.ign.com/articles/655/655280p1.html) for the XBOX. Its a WWII shooter, but unlike Call of Duty and Medal of Honor you are commanding a squad with you so the game is more tactic oriented (trying to play run and gun = instant death). I like it so much more than any other WWII shooter.

Last edited:

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha, a 65 yard game winner... that's awesome. So did you import a draft class from NCAA in order to get Russell and such?

No, I am a huuuuge dork. What I do is this; after the draft, I look up the position and school online for the guys I picked and change their names to that. With the 2008 and 2009 drafts, I had to use the names of freshman and recruits to try to be sort of accurate.

Madden doesnt let you change skin tone though, so JRussell actually started as a white guy (but had the height and weight, since he was already at LSU when the game shipped). I just added some dreds, tattoos and arm bands to make him look less white. ;)

A drafted MIA CB in 2008 and changed his name to Anthony Reddick.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Super Mario World for the SNES

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still a wannabe pilot in Flight Simulator X. Here's a morning trip across the skies of Japan in a Learjet.
You must be registered for see images

PHXSportsFan4

Time for baseball season.
Reaction score
Ive mostly been playing MLB 2K7 since it came out. I still play my NBA 2K7 and occasionally NHL 07. I have them for 360.

PHXSportsFan4

Time for baseball season.
Reaction score
Why's that?
2K has exclusive rights to the MLB license just as EA has exclusive rights for the license for NFL. I have MLB 2K7 for 360 and I honestly think it is the best MLB game to ever come out. I know a lot of people loved MVP and I liked it a lot too, but I really love this game. There are so many little features in it that just make it so great.

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
Final Fantasy 12

Star Wars Battle Front II (some games never get old)

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

I hope the Emperor doesn't see this...if he knew I was drinking while on patrol duty he'd be pissed!

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Gears of War

Castlevania: SOTN (Well worth the $10 at Xbox Live Arcade)

NBA2k7 - Just made the finals. Ironically Amare went down with a knee injury right before the WCF vs the Spurs. Won game 7 on a last second jumper with Nash.

Baseball Mogul 2008 (Great game for sim freaks.)

Geometry Wars Evolved

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
2K has exclusive rights to the MLB license just as EA has exclusive rights for the license for NFL. I have MLB 2K7 for 360 and I honestly think it is the best MLB game to ever come out. I know a lot of people loved MVP and I liked it a lot too, but I really love this game. There are so many little features in it that just make it so great.

I have to say that MVP 05 is still MUCH better than MLB2k7.

However, MVP 07 Mod is awesome. If you have the PC version of MVP 05 it updates the entire game to match this season. (Rosters, schedules, stats, uniforms, even the game menu / interface. EVERYTHING.) http://www.mvpmods.com

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard