What the Cards Lack

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Many of us didn't.

Would help if the rookies played more. Myjai Sanders has 2 sacks and 2 TFL's on 123 snaps. That's 2 games worth.

Cam Thomas has 2 sacks and 2 TFL's on 134 snaps. Just over the average for 2 games.

Who know's what they might do if they actually played more?

Victor Dimukeje has played 212 snaps but has 0 sacks and 0 TFL's.

Golden has played 536 snaps but only has 1.5 sacks and 5 TFL's.

This is not smart. rankly, Sanders and Thomas should be starting.

Even less smart is playing a 4-3 base and still playing Watt mainly inside. He's good inside, don't get me wrong, but no DT is more valuable than an Edge and Watt would contribute more playing DE. Especially given how poor Golden has been.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Would help if the rookies played more. Myjai Sanders has 2 sacks and 2 TFL's on 123 snaps. That's 2 games worth.

Cam Thomas has 2 sacks and 2 TFL's on 134 snaps. Just over the average for 2 games.

Even less smart is playing a 4-3 base and still playing Watt mainly inside. He's good inside, don't get me wrong, but no DT is more valuable than an Edge and Watt would contribute more playing DE. Especially given how poor Golden has been.
Or they could be exposed and do worse if played more. Success in spot duty doesn't guarantee extrapolated success if made into major contributors. I mean, I very much hope they both become monster pass rushers, but my enthusiasm is tempered by healthy skepticism. That said, they've already exceeded expectations, and the season is lost, so eff it--might as well start them.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
This is a very weird victory lap to be taking on a guy who was a leading MVP candidate through the six or eight games the past two years.
No, not really when we all know any player can get hot and/or lucky for a short period of time.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
There has been a lot of talk about getting Murray a better coach/es to make Murray a better player. What has Murray done over the 4 years now to make himself a better player? The same inconsistencies/inadequacies/deficiencies in Murray's game are still there in year four as they were in year one. Until Murray recognizes/admits that there are areas of his game that need improvement and invests more time and commitment and has a desire to getting better at these areas, no coach/es you bring in will have an effect on Murray.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The inability to get consistent pressure without blitzing is a real issue.

Forget the dominant edge rusher. I just want a decent one at this point. Golden/Gardeck is the weakest pair of starting edge rushers in the league. The rookies are fun when they flash, but they haven't shown anything to make me think they are the answer.

Then you add in a dud like Fotu in the middle, and it seems crazy to think that anyone ever thought this roster construction would work.
The good news is that if we keep Allen, we aren't so far off. You could re-sign Watt. Draft a DT early (or EDGE) and then EDGE/DT in round 2. Sign a guy and you are off an running as you have two young edge players already who have a little juice in Thomas and Sanders. Yes, you still have to hit on one top guy but this seems like an ok draft to shoot for it.

The biggest draft disappointment for AZ could be with the OL. No top end Cs and mostly needs at OG make it tough to address in round 1 and I don't love the depth of the class to this point. Trading back and getting Skoronski to play C might be best path but this limits the transition of Lecitus Smith who I like.

Again, if the Cardinals were smart, our line would be Beachum, Coward, Smith, Garcia, Jones for the rest of the year. That gives you at least two legit evals on C and RT for next year.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Or they could be exposed and do worse if played more. Success in spot duty doesn't guarantee extrapolated success if made into major contributors. I mean, I very much hope they both become monster pass rushers, but my enthusiasm is tempered by healthy skepticism. That said, they've already exceeded expectations, and the season is lost, so eff it--might as well start them.

Of course they might not, but we won't know if they don't try. This franchise consistently finds ways to start mediocre journeymen over promising young players. It's infuriating.

What we do know is that Dimikuje and Golden have been awful. Can they really be any worse?

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
The biggest draft disappointment for AZ could be with the OL. No top end Cs and mostly needs at OG make it tough to address in round 1
there is a group of G and C prospects that look like they all go in round 2 --

an interesting mix at Guard:

you have OC Torrance of FLA. 6'5" 347 road grader

and also

Andy Vorhees of USC 6'6" 325 who has played LT for USC, so more of a quick footed, technician

there will be options in round 2 for the Cardinals, and if they go defensive tackle in round 1 and pick up one of the best rated guards in round 2 -- thats solid progress

Last edited:

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Caring and looking inward to ones self are two different things. You can go to dinners, watch film with your backup QB and show you care about your teammates but that doesn't translate to looking at ones self and deciding what it is you need to improve upon.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Caring and looking inward to ones self are two different things. You can go to dinners, watch film with your backup QB and show you care about your teammates but that doesn't translate to looking at ones self and deciding what it is you need to improve upon.

I take it you have an advanced degree in psychology and can make a personality diagnosis from the comfort of your lazy boy.

Good on you. :shrug:

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
The good news is that if we keep Allen, we aren't so far off. You could re-sign Watt. Draft a DT early (or EDGE) and then EDGE/DT in round 2. Sign a guy and you are off an running as you have two young edge players already who have a little juice in Thomas and Sanders. Yes, you still have to hit on one top guy but this seems like an ok draft to shoot for it.

The biggest draft disappointment for AZ could be with the OL. No top end Cs and mostly needs at OG make it tough to address in round 1 and I don't love the depth of the class to this point. Trading back and getting Skoronski to play C might be best path but this limits the transition of Lecitus Smith who I like.

Again, if the Cardinals were smart, our line would be Beachum, Coward, Smith, Garcia, Jones for the rest of the year. That gives you at least two legit evals on C and RT for next year.
Re-signing Watt takes a huge injury list as he gets older. If they are truly going to limit his snaps, how much will he cost?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Re-signing Watt takes a huge injury list as he gets older. If they are truly going to limit his snaps, how much will he cost?
That is the question. It probably depends more on Watt than AZ. My point is that you could stop gap a year if you take a Carter or Breese early.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I take it you have an advanced degree in psychology and can make a personality diagnosis from the comfort of your lazy boy.

Good on you. :shrug:
No, all it takes is a little common sense to figure it out. When you go off the rails you really go off them.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
No, all it takes is a little common sense to figure it out. When you go off the rails you really go off them.

Common sense isn't that common and is hardly a substitute for actual knowledge.

All you and others have offered is rank speculation regarding KM and half-baked psychobabble.

I'll go with the opinion of someone who actually knows and works with him; thank you.

Reaction score
There is no special insight here, but the more I thought of, the more concerned I got. The list is embarrassingly long. The list of what they do well would be much shorter. Can you fix this in one off-season?
They have no RB capable of breaking a long run.
They have no secondary player who is a true ballhawk.
They have no dominant pass rusher.
The Cards have no offensive set that consistently protects the QB.
The O-line does not open large holes.
The QB rarely audibles.
The Cards have no anchor tackle.
The secondary gives too much cushion.
On third down too many routes leave targets short of the line to gain.
The team does not know how to run a 2 minute offense.
The red zone offense is too often simply the QB scrambling.
The special teams are not dependable.
Feel free to add to the list.
We are an incomplete team

Stout

Reaction score
Common sense isn't that common and is hardly a substitute for actual knowledge.

All you and others have offered is rank speculation regarding KM and half-baked psychobabble.

I'll go with the opinion of someone who actually knows and works with him; thank you.
You'll go with any tidbit that fits your narrative, thank you.

Why don't you share your hypothesis for why KM has stunk so bad this year?

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Unlike you and others, I don't have a 'narrative', nor care to 'hypothesize'.

I read their constant repetition with less and less interest.

What I note as a fact are absences and injuries that logically would affect offensive continuity.

The6

All Star
Reaction score

Little bit of everything?

Stout

Reaction score
Unlike you and others, I don't have a 'narrative', nor care to 'hypothesize'.

I read their constant repetition with less and less interest.

What I note as a fact are absences and injuries that logically would affect offensive continuity.
Right. So back to never sharing opinions, only sniping at the opinions of others. Gotcha.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score

I agree, he has stunk this year and I certainly don’t like supporting Keim backers like Quebec. Fact are this though: Kyler has shown an extremely high almost MVP level ceiling over long NFL stretches and he has as many supporters around the league as detractors.

My humble opinion: Kyler needs solid
infrastructure and culture to thrive since his mercurial personality hinders him being the guy to establish that foundation. Look at his history - Dude was the man at Allen, arguably best HS player in Texas history however at one of its best football programs in the state. Flash forward to A&M under Sumlin the drunk in a weird situation and he played terribly and transferred within a year. Then to Oklahoma and Lincoln Riley where he earned rave reviews from everyone and won Heisman. Shown stretches of greatness here yet also mediocrity playing under a bad owner, drunk GM and totally unqualified HC. Every time the culture and foundation underneath him is solid he has been a generational player. When shaky he is simply mediocre.

That being said Kyler needs to grow up and overcome since not everyone gets a great hand on the flop but it’s imperative that we do everything we can now that he has the extension to put the infrastructure in around him.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree, he has stunk this year and I certainly don’t like supporting Keim backers like Quebec. Fact are this though: Kyler has shown an extremely high almost MVP level ceiling over long NFL stretches and he has as many supporters around the league as detractors.

My humble opinion: Kyler needs solid
infrastructure and culture to thrive since his mercurial personality hinders him being the guy to establish that foundation. Look at his history - Dude was the man at Allen, arguably best HS player in Texas history however at one of its best football programs in the state. Flash forward to A&M under Sumlin the drunk in a weird situation and he played terribly and transferred within a year. Then to Oklahoma and Lincoln Riley where he earned rave reviews from everyone and won Heisman. Shown stretches of greatness here yet also mediocrity playing under a bad owner, drunk GM and totally unqualified HC. Every time the culture and foundation underneath him is solid he has been a generational player. When shaky he is simply mediocre.

That being said Kyler needs to grow up and overcome since not everyone gets a great hand on the flop but it’s imperative that we do everything we can now that he has the extension to put the infrastructure in around him.

This is 100% fantasy. It's another attempt to pass blame onto the "insert things I don't like here*.

Kyler barely played at A&M and only played one season at OU. "He was great at Allen and OU where they had dominant talent" is not a ringing endorsement.

It doesn't explain in any way going from 5-10-1, to 8-8, to 11-6 under same coach, same GM, same owner and showing steady but minor improvements each year himself to the absolute abysmal, bottom of the league QB play we have seen this year.

If, as you say, Kyler can only be good was he has the right HC, right scheme, right GM, great O line, great WR's, insert whatever you like here then what's the point of him?

Any QB can be good when everything around him is good. Andy Dalton has done that. Carson Wentz has done that. Joe Flacco has done that. Cam Newton has done that. Jared Goff has done that.

That's the path Kyler is currently on.

If we have to wait for Mercury to be in retrograde over Jupiter for him to be good why pay him like a top 5 QB? You pay that money to QBs that elevate those around them. That find ways to win tough games.

Kyler simply doesn't. I absolute believe he could. If he put the work in.

The worst thing about Kyler this year is he's as bad now as he was game 1. All the things he's struggled with then he's still struggling with now. That tells me all I need to know about his attitude.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is 100% fantasy. It's another attempt to pass blame onto the "insert things I don't like here*.

Kyler barely played at A&M and only played one season at OU. "He was great at Allen and OU where they had dominant talent" is not a ringing endorsement.

It doesn't explain in any way going from 5-10-1, to 8-8, to 11-6 under same coach, same GM, same owner and showing steady but minor improvements each year himself to the absolute abysmal, bottom of the league QB play we have seen this year.

If, as you say, Kyler can only be good was he has the right HC, right scheme, right GM, great O line, great WR's, insert whatever you like here then what's the point of him?

Any QB can be good when everything around him is good. Andy Dalton has done that. Carson Wentz has done that. Joe Flacco has done that. Cam Newton has done that. Jared Goff has done that.

That's the path Kyler is currently on.

If we have to wait for Mercury to be in retrograde over Jupiter for him to be good why pay him like a top 5 QB? You pay that money to QBs that elevate those around them. That find ways to win tough games.

Kyler simply doesn't. I absolute believe he could. If he put the work in.

The worst thing about Kyler this year is he's as bad now as he was game 1. All the things he's struggled with then he's still struggling with now. That tells me all I need to know about his attitude.
You are literally the only person I ever seen in the history of fandom, regardless of sport, to believe that wanting better infrastructure is a bad thing.

Holy hell.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose