What the Cards Lack

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There has been a lot of talk about getting Murray a better coach/es to make Murray a better player. What has Murray done over the 4 years now to make himself a better player? The same inconsistencies/inadequacies/deficiencies in Murray's game are still there in year four as they were in year one. Until Murray recognizes/admits that there are areas of his game that need improvement and invests more time and commitment and has a desire to getting better at these areas, no coach/es you bring in will have an effect on Murray.

No matter what happens this off season I'm sure Cam Turner is toast. I don't see how you can have a QB play like Murray has and not replace the QB coach. It's the lowest hanging fruit.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I just want good players in the trenches.

Something I know the bozo that holds the GM title won’t do because he doesn’t believe trenches matter.
I also think that's part of the problem of a meddling owner. He wants to highlight and be seen with the glory boys, not a bunch of lunks who will make him seem small. The deals for Hollywood and James Conner (especially) are so ill-conceived that it's difficult to think at least a little pressure didn't come from on high.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Fix the trenches and magically a lot of the other problems will take care of themselves :)

I would argue that the Cardinals non-LOS players (everyone but OL and front 5 D ) are as good as any playoff team -

but those 10 LOS positions-- especially when considering health-- make for a team where the non-LOS group has to play a near perfect game to have success

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There is no special insight here, but the more I thought of, the more concerned I got. The list is embarrassingly long. The list of what they do well would be much shorter. Can you fix this in one off-season?
They have no RB capable of breaking a long run.
They have no secondary player who is a true ballhawk.
They have no dominant pass rusher.
The Cards have no offensive set that consistently protects the QB.
The O-line does not open large holes.
The QB rarely audibles.
The Cards have no anchor tackle.
The secondary gives too much cushion.
On third down too many routes leave targets short of the line to gain.
The team does not know how to run a 2 minute offense.
The red zone offense is too often simply the QB scrambling.
The special teams are not dependable.
Feel free to add to the list.
Harry..save keystrokes and highlight what they have!! :)

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
There is no special insight here, but the more I thought of, the more concerned I got. The list is embarrassingly long. The list of what they do well would be much shorter. Can you fix this in one off-season?
The QB rarely audibles.
Feel free to add to the list.
In order

Personnel
Personnel
Personnel
Scheme
Personnel/Scheme
Player
Personnel
Scheme
Scheme
Scheme/Player
Scheme/Player
Personnel

So, can these be fixed in one offseason? Yes and no.

The defense is honestly the easiest because so much of it is a scheme issue. You get an above average DC and this changes because personnel will be put in better situations. The toughest thing might be to get a ballhawk DB because those are pretty rare and even rookies take time. The NT and pass rush can be fixed because we have some of those elements currently.

RB is easy.

OL is tougher but some of it is scheme IMO. Several ways to get better up front.

The toughest part is getting Kyler right which impacts route design, 2 min, audible and red zone.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I just want good players in the trenches.

Something I know the bozo that holds the GM title won’t do because he doesn’t believe trenches matter.
I agree with this. The easiest way to competent DB play anymore is don't give up the big play and tackle. The front 4/5 is more difficult to manufacture.

Offensively...a good OL is just such an advantage. The ability to dictate game tempo is so key.

The only other thing I would add is a top TE is also such a weapon. Opens up so much offensively.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
one thing i wonder about in the KK scheme:

KK was open that his offense had a bunch of Kugler's NFL run concepts grafted onto it

i wonder if NFL d coordinators can spot the difference now --

McVay and Shanahan's offenses both feature a multitude of pass plays that come off their running game looks --

Does KK's current offense have something similar? Given how little they play action pass, it wouldnt seem that way.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
The QB rarely audibles.

Other than that though we are fine!

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
In order

Personnel
Personnel
Personnel
Scheme
Personnel/Scheme
Player
Personnel
Scheme
Scheme
Scheme/Player
Scheme/Player
Personnel

So, can these be fixed in one offseason? Yes and no.

The defense is honestly the easiest because so much of it is a scheme issue. You get an above average DC and this changes because personnel will be put in better situations. The toughest thing might be to get a ballhawk DB because those are pretty rare and even rookies take time. The NT and pass rush can be fixed because we have some of those elements currently.

RB is easy.

OL is tougher but some of it is scheme IMO. Several ways to get better up front.

The toughest part is getting Kyler right which impacts route design, 2 min, audible and red zone.
One would think that filling the guard positions is easier than tackle which we do not fare so bad, unless Jones cannot overcome playing the right side and Hump's back gives out on the left which is a precarious injury to say the least. Center probably would have to be addressed free agency because of Keim and his inability drafting

Last edited:
OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
There has been a lot of talk about getting Murray a better coach/es to make Murray a better player. What has Murray done over the 4 years now to make himself a better player? The same inconsistencies/inadequacies/deficiencies in Murray's game are still there in year four as they were in year one. Until Murray recognizes/admits that there are areas of his game that need improvement and invests more time and commitment and has a desire to getting better at these areas, no coach/es you bring in will have an effect on Murray.
Murray certainly has been part of the problem not the solution. I’m just confident it won’t happen with this coach. Since they’re stuck with Murray, it seems like a new coach is the only move. Maybe they get lucky. They can’t get much worse!

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Murray certainly has been part of the problem not the solution. I’m just confident it won’t happen with this coach. Since they’re stuck with Murray, it seems like a new coach is the only move. Maybe they get lucky. They can’t get much worse!
Agree, KK is not the answer and never will be. Murray is going to be around at least two more years unless some team really thinks they can resurrect him and are willing to give up quite a bit for him and that Keim is willing to admit it was a mistake to draft him in the first place. Kingsbury will be here in 2023 at the very least. I didn't like the selection of Murray because I saw him as a high floor, low ceiling player and so far he has proven to live up to that assessment.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I know you think this, but it's not true. Hue Jackson convinced two owners it would be a good idea to put their franchises in his hands.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Agree, KK is not the answer and never will be. Murray is going to be around at least two more years unless some team really thinks they can resurrect him and are willing to give up quite a bit for him and that Keim is willing to admit it was a mistake to draft him in the first place. Kingsbury will be here in 2023 at the very least. I didn't like the selection of Murray because I saw him as a high floor, low ceiling player and so far he has proven to live up to that assessment.
His floor has proven to be pretty low, though.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
This is a very weird victory lap to be taking on a guy who was a leading MVP candidate through the six or eight games the past two years.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Since year after year we are incapable of leaving behind the insanity and total incompetence which is the Cardinals, and find a better team which would bring us joy and satisfaction, I have an idea. During halftime of a nationally televised Cardinal home game, we all participate in a mass suicide in the stadium. That would be a very inexpensive way of showing the Cards and the nation that we aren't going to take it any longer.

We say the same old things year after year on here, complaining about our GM, owner, and coaches/players. It all seems like a useless exercise as well as a waste of time and energy. We should each simply type only the word "ditto" in every post and we will all get the message.

Let's end this repetitive jargon and commit to one or the other above suggestion. What do you say?

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The inability to get consistent pressure without blitzing is a real issue.

Forget the dominant edge rusher. I just want a decent one at this point. Golden/Gardeck is the weakest pair of starting edge rushers in the league. The rookies are fun when they flash, but they haven't shown anything to make me think they are the answer.

Then you add in a dud like Fotu in the middle, and it seems crazy to think that anyone ever thought this roster construction would work.

The6

All Star
Reaction score
Some have hope. That's fine but it's not like you flip a light switch and the team will start to light the league on fire. This is a bad team and management included. It wont get better.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is a very weird victory lap to be taking on a guy who was a leading MVP candidate through the six or eight games the past two years.

Past 2 years?

He was an MVP candidate though 7 games last year when people aren't even yet thinking about MVP. It was more "This guy could be MVP is he keeps playing like this". Which he didn't. Outside those 7 games he's never been in the MVP conversation. He's certainly never been in it at a time when it matters.

Those 7 games feel more and more like a tease. Like a desperate man walking through the desert gasping for water, he sees a lake on the horizon and staggers towards it thinking he is saved, only to find that it's a junkyard when he arrives.

I'm not sure that "Kyler Murray was in the MVP convo for 7 games of his 60 game career" is really one for the win column that some think. Andy Dalton was in the MVP conversation in 2015. Carson Wentz was in the MVP conversation in 2017. This is the career arc Kyler is currently on.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
The inability to get consistent pressure without blitzing is a real issue.

Forget the dominant edge rusher. I just want a decent one at this point. Golden/Gardeck is the weakest pair of starting edge rushers in the league. The rookies are fun when they flash, but they haven't shown anything to make me think they are the answer.

Then you add in a dud like Fotu in the middle, and it seems crazy to think that anyone ever thought this roster construction would work.
Many of us didn't.

eastcoastDave

Veteran
Reaction score
I have no hope the Cardinals will improve with the current GM in place. None. Maybe Kingsbury would be a better coach if he had a better OL/DL, better defensive backs, Better QB, better edge rushers. But I doubt that too. My hope is that Bidwill is so embarrassed about the performance of the team that he will clean house — new GM, new coaches, new scouting team. But I doubt that will happen. Maybe the GM and the coach will man up and just resign. Doubt that too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose