What single play will you remember most on your deathbed?

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Easy, kicker Neil O'Donoghue running onto the field in the last seconds missing a long fieldgoal in the waning seconds against the Redskins in '84... which would have won the division

Osbern61

Insomniac
Reaction score
Mine is 'The Catch'. I was even more of a Cowboy hater in those days than I am now and to see the upstart Niners knock them out was unreal!

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
This isn't one play but speaking of hating the Cowboys and the blocked punt it is just too weird that the Cards beat Dallas three years in a row because of Dallas kicking miscues.

2008 the blocked punt
2010 Cowboys miss an extra point. Feely kicks FG with 10 seconds left to win by one.
2011 Cowboys ice their own kicker who misses a FG and Cards win in OT.

You gotta love Cardinal football.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
This isn't one play but speaking of hating the Cowboys and the blocked punt it is just too weird that the Cards beat Dallas three years in a row because of Dallas kicking miscues.

2008 the blocked punt
2010 Cowboys miss an extra point. Feely kicks FG with 10 seconds left to win by one.

It just goes to show the buffoonery that exists at their management level.

Lorenzo

Reaction score

2008 the blocked punt

In the 2008 game the cardinals scored not one, but two TDs on special teams. before I got to my seat in that game the cardinals had a TD on a kickoff. special teams have killed dallas for years....

yet what do they do after 2008? they keep their coaches and draft a place kicker in the 5th round and make him a Field Goal kicker when he can't even kick extra points. to me that one takes the cake. it's one thing for your kicker to miss a long kick at the end of the game or for your coach to call a timeout because the special teams coach is yelling because guys aren't lined up right...but to draft a guy to have him do kickoffs and then make him a field goal kicker? man these guys are retards.

I don't know how the special teams coach wasn't fired in 2011. they had problems lining up all year long and were lucky to win some of the games that they did and lost a few others because of special teams. My guess is that jerry was worried that the guy was going to sue him for injuries that occured when the tornado hit their training complex. any other GM or head coach would have fired that guy after one year. he was a hothead and never had control over the special teams.

OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
There are so many to pick, but there isn't anything so far that can top 2001 Game 7. I was at a bar, under age in Tucson (20 at the time) but my buddy was head of security and snuck our group of friends in. I was hammered, and for some reason there was a HUGE group of typical douche Yankee's fans there. When we got down, they ran their mouths and beat their chests like we all knew they would.

Then comes up the greatest closer of all time. Cooked. We are cooked. NY has the whole 9/11 thing and the great storyline if they win. The rest was history.

Look, there are some amazing Cardinals plays I could list, the Larry TD in the superbowl was amazing, and I literally almost got thrown out of Cadillac Ranch for climbing on top of my booth after that play while it felt like the world was shaking.

But beating the greatest closer of all time in Game 7? That's the stuff legends are made of.

That whole inning could be dissected and studied for each pitch and play. People all remember Gonzales's final hit, but to me two hits prior to that were the big ones. Mark Grace leading off with a hit, after deciding he would go after the first pitch from Rivera was so huge and probably absolutely necessary if a rally was ever going to happen. And then to me, Womack's hit was the huge one. Both of these hits were real hits, while Luis's was simply a blooper that was the product of the drawn in infield. I don't think there was ever a weaker hit that meant so much in all of baseball.

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
1. 2001 World Series Bottom of the 9th
2. Game 6 1993 NBA Finals
3. Holmes catch against the Cardinals

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a lot of people have listed Holmes' catch as one they'll remember, but the Harrison sticks in my mind so much more. By the time the Steelers got all the way down to the 6 yard line, it just seemed like they were going to score and the question was how.

the Harrison one was such a gut-punch because it was so completely unexpected and such a HUGE swing that the team didn't recover from for almost 20 minutes of game-time. Looking at going into half-time up 14-10, with all the momentum, instead of being down 17-7 and put us in a huge hole in such a monumentally ridiculous play was the worst play in Cards history for me.

but none of them hurt as much as Paxson for 3. Maybe it's because I was much younger and much more naive...or the fact that I had tickets to Game 7 and was SURE we were going to win there, but that shot devastated me seemingly for an entire summer. That and the fact that the entire Suns run seemed destined for a title were just world crushers. With the Cards, their run was soooooo ridiculous, that ultimately, as much as the Super Bowl hurt (and trust me, it hurt), just the fact that that squad got there and put up such a fight was incredible.

Up right next to it is probably Fitz's touchdown.

Outside of that, the plays I'll always remember are:

1) The entire 9th Inning of Game 7 v. the Yankees. Was pretty down going into the 9th, looked at Ouchie and just said 1...2...3. Done. And he grabbed me by the shoulders and I'll never forget what he said: "NO! WE ARE GOING TO SEE SOMETHING HISTORIC! YOU GOTTA BELIEVE!" I've never seen that look in anyone's eyes at a sporting event and it sold me. I responded: "YOU GOTTA BELIEVE!" 2 runs later, set off the greatest celebration in human history and without a doubt the single most hilarious picture of me and my two brothers that will ever be taken.

2) A Barkley put back dunk of a Crazy Dan Majerle 3 in Game 7 in the fourth quarter of the WCF might be my number one. Weird right? It was just in that moment that I KNEW the Suns were going to the Finals and that was my first experience with a Championship series.

3) Dansby's touchdown v. the Packers. That was pandemonium in a form that I've never seen before. An instant explosion that came out of nowhere.

4) Barkley's steal of a Stacey King pass in triple OT that sealed the win in Game 3 of the Finals in Chicago Stadium. Made me believe we were gonna win that series again.

5) Craig Counsel's home-run in the first inning of game 1 of the WS. The Yankees drew first blood in the first inning and it looked like... oh boy...we're just gonna be outclassed again by another dynasty. But Counsel, the most unlikliest of power hitters stepped to the plate and rocketed a shot over the left-field wall to tie the score that same inning and it just felt like a message...After 9/11, the only people in the world right now who are rooting for the D-backs were probably Arizonans and Al-Queda, but damnit if we weren't going to win that freaking series.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
A great play that often gets overlooked is the Warner completion to Spach for 23 yards on 3rd and 16 with the Cards up by 6 with 2:17 left vs Atlanta. One of the great play calls of the Whisenhunt era.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Well our Stadium roaring from the time the refs botched the turnover on the kick till we won the NFCC against the Eagles, after losing the lead- I was pounding on the aluminum from the added seats- As 3 Eagles fans and a single cards fan stood behind me and a drunk young Cards fan-

As the Eagles took the lead the fan in Cardinal Red behind us ripped off his Cards jersey and had an Eagles jersey underneath- the young drunk Cards fan started swinging on him- and his mom asked if I would help him against the 4 large Eagles fans-

We got the ball and it went quiet and he was frothing at the mouth pushing and swinging- I grabbed the young Card fan by the head and said your distracted- pump your brakes- get loud when Mcnabbs got the ball- besides were not not from Philadelphia- We don't act like that!

He was back on track and so were the Cards- those limp depressed Philly fans slunk out of that stadium while the confetti fell and cards fans chained around the stadium in our moment of triumph-

And yes we won by running the ball more than Warner passed!

link
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/20090...GC_schedule_rr#tab=analyze&analyze=playbyplay

Either that or Larry Centers fighting for Inches as Buddy Ryan headed off the field early -

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Oh yes. The Drive! Hightower's run on 4th and 1. But Fitz/Warner beat Assante Samuel and had 3 catches for 39 yards.

Fitz playoff numbers: 42 receptions 705 yards and 9 TDs. Numbers over an entire season that could earn some WRs a multi-million dollar contract. And he did it in 6 games.

:koolaid:

LarryStalling

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
3 plays stand out to me.

1. Mel Gray streaking down the right sideline beating the Giant cornerback like a drum.

2. Neil Lomax hitting Roy Green with a perfectly thrown deep crossing pattern.

3. The blocked punt against the Cowboys.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Will definitely be thinking of other things when on my death bed... And far too many incredible memories to just choose one or two. However, if there is one that I love to hate, it is this:

It was 1980. I was a starting safety on our high school JV team, a team that had just completed an undefeated regular season. As we were preparing for the playoffs, our coach thought we were a bit too confident and so he had us scrimmage against the varsity team.
Head Coach of the varsity team was a super tough throw-back Lombardi type, Chuck Ornato. The team wasn't filled with much talent, however, at Quarterback, they were blessed with one of the greatest athletes the town of Greenwich, CT had ever produced.
And so they ran the wishbone offense and allowed the thoroughbred at QB to dominate the game with his legs - a rare combination of power and speed...
On a rainy, cold November morning we Sophomores stepped onto the varsity field for our game against the upper class men. It was a brutally tough scrimmage as clearly, the message had been sent that we jv'ers needed to be put back in our rightful places... The hitting was intense and several skirmishes broke out.
Early in the 3rd quarter, we were still on the game only down by 2 TD's to a bigger and stronger varsity team.
I was on the field on a 1st and 10, with the varsity team pinned inside their own 10 yard line. The ball was snapped and the QB did what he always did - fake the handoff up the middle and sprint off tackle. He then did what he always did again and faked the toss to the trailing halfback, and turned straight upfield. I had a clear shot at him as I came up from my safety slot! He was so much bigger and faster than me, but I had an angle that allowed be a direct, clean shot at his legs. As we approach one another, he turned straight toward full speed! I lowered my head and shoulders and went to take out his legs. The next thing I remember was two of my team mates standing over me, slapping my helmet! The QB's knee had hit me perfectly in the top of me helmet and knocked me out cold... I was only out for no more than 20-30 seconds... And when I came to and was helped off the field, the QB was the first varsity player to come over and check on me. Years later, that QB would go on to have a storied pro career in both the USFL and NFL, becoming a Super Bowl MVP and later inducted into the Hall of Fame. That QB was none other than the great Steve Young!

OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
1. 2001 World Series Bottom of the 9th

I just found and read this article which anyone who remembers with fondness that 9yh inning will just love. It states what I always felt, but never thought or knew that someone actually statistically rated it the most clutch hit of all in the history of baseball. The fact of how much the odds changed after his hit and the fact that there was only a 2% chance of him getting a hit in that situation makes it all more memorable. It is great to know also that so many of us actually saw it when it actually happened as fans of the winners. I was also privileged to watch and remember clearly as if it was yesterday, the 2nd ranked most clutch hit in MLB history. Enjoy: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB115949112371577510.html

pacman

Veteran
Reaction score
Easily Fitz's TD run in the SB but his flea flicker with Warner against Alanta was pretty sweet too

You must be registered for see images attach

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
I'm a pretty optimistic guy but it has to be Fitz mouthing no, no after Holmes TD catch. I'd love for it to be any of my memories from the NFC championship game (was there) or fitz streaking through Pitts D for the go ahead score. But Larry after the holmes TD is forever ingrained into my brain. Heartbreaking. Life of an AZ fan, thank god for the Dbacks in 01.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose