What movies had evil winning at the end?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
the underdog loses a questionable decision, with a quick bell in the last round to a cocky cornholio who thinks Rocky is a bum and is fighting him only because of the color of his skin.

the machine wins... the underdog gets screwed.

bad guys win. just because your opinion is different than mine, doesn't mean mine's wrong. it's a subjective question.

I see what you're saying, but I don't think evil wins in that movie. If evil wins, then good loses--and even though the outcome of the fight itself is a loss, the hero most definitely does not lose in Rocky. In fact, it's an extremely feel-good ending for Rocky.

So what you're doing is taking something extremely literally (the end of the film), however you're not taking the original question itself as literally. Not a big deal, I'm just surprised you're so overly passionate about this, after all, you did say it's a subjective question.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, did anyone say "The Wild Bunch?" I wonder if that qualifies. Or Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid? I need to see that two again. :)

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
the underdog loses a questionable decision, with a quick bell in the last round to a cocky cornholio who thinks Rocky is a bum and is fighting him only because of the color of his skin.

bad guys win. just because your opinion is different than mine, doesn't mean mine's wrong. it's a subjective question.

Plus, I'm looking at this as it was viewed in 1976 which I remember quiet well. Unlike some other prople here. :) It was the Bicentennial Year and we were all tremendously patriotic. Rocky was the Classic American Underdog. And he lost. (The racial overtones were also discussed in 1976.)

I happened to see this film for the first time at a screening in L.A. that was full of industry people. As soon as it ended guys were looking at each other saying, "What? He lost? You can't have it end where he lost!!" Big hoopla over the ending in 1976.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
IMO, the title of this thread implied "Evil" with a capital "e", like Tim Robbins in Arlington Road or John Huston in Chinatown.

If we're just talking about movies where the protagonist doesn't win then I guess evil wins in Whip It too.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see what you're saying, but I don't think evil wins in that movie. If evil wins, then good loses--and even though the outcome of the fight itself is a loss, the hero most definitely does not lose in Rocky. In fact, it's an extremely feel-good ending for Rocky.

So what you're doing is taking something extremely literally (the end of the film), however you're not taking the original question itself as literally. Not a big deal, I'm just surprised you're so overly passionate about this, after all, you did say it's a subjective question.

i just don't appreciate being told I don't have a right to believe something that's subjective which is basically what you said when you told us that Rocky IS NOT an answer to the question. it may not fit your idea of the question, but that doesn't mean you're the authority on what does for others.

and Rocky's my favorite movie. so someone telling me what to think of it rubs me the wrong way.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Fine. He lost and evil wins.

Woo hoo! I finally won an argument on ASFN! Excuse me while I go write this down on my calendar because it will probably be a very long time before I win another. I'd like to thank craft services and Cheese for being there in my hour of need.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then why are you still trying to convince Chaplin, you are right? :)

I thought Apollo was jerky as a kid, now I don't think that as much, if at all. He was just not rocky.

Do you think that because you are older? Or because Rocky and Apollo became friends later on? Just curious.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apollo Creed's character was greatly influenced by the outspoken, real-life boxing great Muhammad Ali.

Cheesebeef thinks Muhammad Ali is evil !!! :D

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The Vanishing
The Mist

LoL I forgot about The Mist. That movie was bad but man that ending made me laugh.

It was like the biggest "the good guy gets totally screwed" ending I've ever seen. To the point of being bizarre. Dude kills all his compainons AND his son only to be rescued by the military 10 seconds later..

Speaking of Steven King,,, Pet Cemetary

Last edited:

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Woo hoo! I finally won an argument on ASFN! Excuse me while I go write this down on my calendar because it will probably be a very long time before I win another. I'd like to thank craft services and Cheese for being there in my hour of need.

DMB (although evil may be too strong of a word)

:D

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did anyone mention William Munny in 'Unforgiven'?

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What was the Eastwood movie where he raped the woman, deputized the midget, and painted the town red?

I'll watch it when it's on and think how crazy the script is that he can rape that woman and by the end of the movie she cares for his wellbeing.

not sure the movie you are talking about, but this one is set in the old west and has Eastwood hired to avenge the attack on a ***** who made fun of a johns small penis. He basically kills everyone in sight and is just plain badass. Also stars Morgan Freeman and Gene Hackman.

One of my favorite movies...the last 30 min or so is pretty intense

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
I am very familiar with Unforgiven. That last scene in the bar is one of my favorite sequences I have ever seen. The intensity, the delivery from both Hackman and Eastwood, and of course Eastwood's exit.

The movie I was thinking of was High Plains Drifter.

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am very familiar with Unforgiven. That last scene in the bar is one of my favorite sequences I have ever seen. The intensity, the delivery from both Hackman and Eastwood, and of course Eastwood's exit.

The movie I was thinking of was High Plains Drifter.

I watch at least that scene every time it's on. My wife just rolls her eyes and yells...'ENOUGH ALREADY, YOU'VE SEEN IT A 100 TIMES'

I should just buy the DVD and watch it when she isn't around

Edit to add...I did the same with Trainspotting and Black Hawk Down and she finally went and bought the DVDs for me for Christmas

Last edited:

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
I love the line when Hackman says sir, you are a cowardly son of a bitch! You just shot an unarmed man and Munny responds well, he should have armed himself if he's going to decorate his saloon with my friend.

I watched the ending so much my wife did buy the dvd for me.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Watchmen

Evil definitely won. It's great because the heroes end up being complicit with the bad guy, agreeing to cover up his role in the murder of millions of people. (For the greater good, of course...)

So not only did evil win, but it also convinced the protagonists that it was right. Can't think of many movies that end that way.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think that is an acceptable position because Apollo was all about ego but the "boxing machine" behind him is what screwed Rocky. Here is the funny thing.....if you look at the 1st movie in it's original context, I think you could make an argument for evil wins but when you add in the context of the subsequent films and his friendship with Apollo, it changes the context of the 1st film for me. So, I think it's a fair to say "evil" wins in that movie if you look at the film in it's original context.

My other "Evil Wins" movies would be:
Empire Strikes back (the most obvious in my mind)
Revenge of the Sith
Watchmen
Usual Suspects
No Country for Old Men
Silence of the Lambs (counting HL's escape)
Hannibal (he escapes again)
Se7en
Fallen

Last edited:

Ghraxx

Reaction score

Seven, god i loved that movie.

Fallen was another one where evil won in the end, with the cat and all.

Johnny Q or however you spell that movie with denzel. I call the legal system evil and he was put in jail for like 7 years at the end so.