What is your opinion on the Nash sign & trade?

What do you think of the Nash trade to the Lakers?

• Total voters

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Love it, Loathe it, or Meh?

It beats losing him for nothing. Picks we received are not great, but it's better than nothing. Those picks are assets, at least.

I will probably throw up when I see Steve in the Lakers uniform, but I am OK with this deal. Nash needed to move on so that Phoenix can move on, and we got some assets in return.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I went with Meh because I'm indifferent to the move as it relates to the Suns. I'm glad Steve ended up where he wanted though.

Ninjafish

Registered
Reaction score
Once the shock wore off, I'm happy about it. I want Nash to get a chance at a ring. It would have been a waste of three years of his life if he went to Toronto. I'd much rather him be on the Lakers and not wasting his career in Toronto. Even if he had went to the Knicks, they wouldn't have had much of a chance.

Suns also got some picks in return when they could have got nothing at all.

Went with Love it.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The only way I could stomach watch Nash win on the Lakers is if Kobe blew out his ACL and missed the year... and even that would be rough.

I loathe it. I understand the view of those who are glad we got something in return, but I would rather have lost him for nothing than see him in LA.

And, once again, if Shumpert really was on the table from New York then this was an awful trade.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
The fan in me absolutely despises this move. I have fielded numerous text/Facebook messages from Laker fans rubbing this in my face. As if the inevitable collapse of this franchise was painful enough to handle, my (former) favorite player in the league now plays for my least favorite professional sports franchise in the world. I was hoping Nash would go somewhere that I could comfortably root for him. Now, I am contemplating using my Nash jersey as a bath mat.

I digress. Here's my basketball take. It depends on what they do with the picks. Lakers' draft picks are typically worthless because they are picking in the back half of the first and second rounds. If somehow the FO can use them in a trade, perhaps it works. Here's what the Lakers' draft picks have yielded since 2006:

2006 1 26 Jordan Farmar (from Miami)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._and_second_round_draft_picks#endnote_Note19s
You must be registered for see images attach
United States PG UCLA
2006 2 51 Cheikh Samb (traded to Detroit)[t]
Senegal C WTC Cornellà (Spain, 2nd division)
2007 1 19 Javaris Crittenton
United States PG Georgia Tech
2007 2 40 Sun Yue (from Charlotte)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._and_second_round_draft_picks#endnote_Note21u
China PG Beijing Olympians (ABA)
2008 2 58 Joe Crawford
United States SG Kentucky
2009 1 29 Toney Douglas (traded to New York)[v]
United States G Florida State 2009 2 42 Patrick Beverley (from Charlotte; traded to Miami)[r][w]
United States G Arkansas
2009 2 59 Chinemelu Elonu
United States PF/C Texas A&M
2010 2 43 Devin Ebanks (from Memphis)[x]
United States F West Virginia
2010 2 58 Derrick Caracter
United States PF/C UTEP
2011 2 41 Darius Morris (from Golden State Warriors via New Jersey Nets)[y]
United States PG Michigan (So.)
2011 2 46 Andrew Goudelock (from New York Knicks)[v]
United States SG College of Charleston (Sr.)
2011 2 56 Chukwudiebere Maduabum (traded to Denver Nuggets)[z]
Nigeria SF Bakersfield Jam (D-League)
2011 2 58 Ater Majok (from Miami Heat)[w]
Syria C So Cal Suryoyo League (Syria)
2012 2 60 Robert Sacre (from Chicago via Milwaukee and Brooklyn)
Canada C Gonzaga (Sr.)
Yep. Still hate the deal.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I'm just wondering why they made the deal so quickly. Rumors were that they were going to able to pry Shumpert from the Knicks. I don't like Shumpert, but he'd probably have greater value on the resale market than any of the Laker picks. So it looks like the Suns jumped at the first decent offer for Nash, rather than milking the clock and seeing whether they could get a couple of opponents locked in a bidding war.

As for seeing Nash suit up for the Lakers, whatever. Marion and Kidd won a title with Dallas, Stoudemire may eventually make a deep playoff run with the Knicks, Barkley wanted to chase a ring with the Rockets. It happens.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fan in me absolutely despises this move. I have fielded numerous text/Facebook messages from Laker fans rubbing this in my face. As if the inevitable collapse of this franchise was painful enough to handle, my (former) favorite player in the league now plays for my least favorite professional sports franchise in the world. I was hoping Nash would go somewhere that I could comfortably root for him. Now, I am contemplating using my Nash jersey as a bath mat.

I'm with ya 100%.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'm just wondering why they made the deal so quickly. Rumors were that they were going to able to pry Shumpert from the Knicks. I don't like Shumpert, but he'd probably have greater value on the resale market than any of the Laker picks. So it looks like the Suns jumped at the first decent offer for Nash, rather than milking the clock and seeing whether they could get a couple of opponents locked in a bidding war.

As for seeing Nash suit up for the Lakers, whatever. Marion and Kidd won a title with Dallas, Stoudemire may eventually make a deep playoff run with the Knicks, Barkley wanted to chase a ring with the Rockets. It happens.

Nash wanted the Lakers so he could be near his kids. At first, Sarver said no, but relented, presumedly because Nash pushed him into it. Ultimatum? Maybe.

Michael

The buzz is back!
Reaction score
I hate the trade. Hate it more than the Shaq trade, the Kurt Thomas trade and all the other bulldust we had to witness.

I dislike the Lakers more than any other sports team (maybe on par with Man City and Chelsea). And to those arguing it's better than losing Nash for nothing - I disagree. The two firstrounders will be close to useless, and I won't even mention the late second round picks.

So there goes the last member of the Suns 2005 team. Phoenix had the MVP of the league, a dominant power forward, a young and talented shooting guard able to defend, score from anywhere and create, an athletic small forward that fit perfectly with the team, the rights to some excellent back-up options (Iggy, Rondo, Deng?). Seven years later, we should be reminded of this era by looking at the three championship banners in the arena. Instead, we are reminded by watching Nash in a Lakers uniform. I can't eat as much as I'd like to vomit.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Suns had little say in the matter since Nash was an unrestricted FA. I really don't think the Suns had any intention of strong arming Nash away from where he wanted to be.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Nash wanted the Lakers so he could be near his kids. At first, Sarver said no, but relented, presumedly because Nash pushed him into it. Ultimatum? Maybe.

Suns had little say in the matter since Nash was an unrestricted FA. I really don't think the Suns had any intention of strong arming Nash away from where he wanted to be.

The Lakers used a trade exception to make room for Nash's salary. That means they had to acquire him by trade. You can't use a TE to sign a free agent. Nash had zero leverage to go the Lakers; the only way it was possible (for decent money) was through a sign-and-trade.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Lakers used a trade exception to make room for Nash's salary. That means they had to acquire him by trade. You can't use a TE to sign a free agent. Nash had zero leverage to go the Lakers; the only way it was possible (for decent money) was through a sign-and-trade.

Right, when Nash asked the Suns to trade him to the Lakers they could have told him to pound sand and that he could sign the MLE if he wanted to play there. I don't think that was a likely outcome and I think the chances of Nash landing in Dallas or Toronto(who had the cap space to sign him outright) were equal to landing in NYK.

There were also conflicting reports as to whether the Knicks would even include Shumpert.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Love it.

Still will throw up in my mouth when I see Nash to anyone (especially Hill) in a Lakers uni.

But four picks for an asset we didn't even have rights to just to put him in a certain uniform (while we suck, which we were anyways) is a love it pick. Either way Nash had options. While not likely, it's entirely possible he could of taken less. No matter what, we didn't own his rights, yet got four picks for facilitating the direction he went. Great deal for us.

In a sense I could care less about any other team's fortunes. The NBA showed us with playoff suspensions and Tim Dongahy that you gotta take what you can get for the betterment of your team. No one else is going to help you.

Given we have $arver, this move is a miracle.

People are also forgetting two important things.

Lakers in 2015 have a dang good shot of being in their once in fifteen year rebuilding modes. Thus it's a small chance it's a lottery pick (1-13)

The other part which could be very important....if we suck...yet don't win a lottery (top 3), we have ammo to move up and get a guy we want. Maybe even 2-4 times.

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
who cares I don't see the Lakers winning a championship anyway over OKC and Miami even with Steve..

We got 4 picks out of it and it is possible the Lakers suck in 2015.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
People are also forgetting two important things.

Lakers in 2015 have a dang good shot of being in their once in fifteen year rebuilding modes. Thus it's a small chance it's a lottery pick (1-13)

The other part which could be very important....if we suck...yet don't win a lottery (top 3), we have ammo to move up and get a guy we want. Maybe even 2-4 times.
I have thought of those things :D
Not sure why there's so much angst in here today. Anything is better than watching an old,tired,re-treaded mediocre product on the court that had no future whatsoever...which is what we've seen here the last couple years.

These moves may not all turn out to be shiny and golden,and they probably wont because its still Sarver's SUNS we're talking about here :sad: ,but i'm intrigued....and i actually give a **** about what this team is doing again. :)

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I have thought of those things :D
Not sure why there's so much angst in here today. Anything is better than watching an old,tired,re-treaded mediocre product on the court that had no future whatsoever...which is what we've seen here the last couple years.

These moves may not all turn out to be shiny and golden,and they probably wont because its still Sarver's SUNS we're talking about here :sad: ,but i'm intrigued....and i actually give a **** about what this team is doing again. :)

Yeah nothing is for certain. I know where $arver trends. But having the picks is better than not having it.

$arver may still sell these picks. Trade them to get rid of contracts. So on and so forth. But I'll cross that bridge if/when we come to it.

Today we added four picks. If we keep them, they could net us some serviceable players, perhaps even a star, or give us a shot at moving up to get one.

That is not for today. Those will be separate decisions. For today, the Nash deal gets us four picks. It gives us options. It gives our future a potential boost. It gives the Suns a chance.

I'm happy for that, and it's been a long time I've been able to say that and 'Suns move' in the same sentence. :)

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Nash was amazing. But we have been stuck in limbo for a long time now. It was time to move on several Years ago.

I might watch a few games next year.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
living in Hell A I couldn't hate this trade anymore if I tried.

myrondizzo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
My only hope is the kobe loses a hand and can't wear another ring.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Because Nash made the decision on where he wanted to go, not the Suns. All the Suns could do is get as much out of it as possible once the decision is made.

What do you do? say, "No Steve, we know you want to be where your kids are, but we have a long standing hatred for the Lakers. We know we aren't going to compete with them any time soon, and we know the package is good. We know that you could just walk to Toronto and we get nothing. But we just hate Kobe so tough luck buddy."

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't believe for one minute this was so he could stay close to his kids.. Doesn't he live in NYC in the summer? And if this was a possibility why did he just say that playing for the lakers would be very hard to do? Shouldn't he have tried to soften the blow if this was a possibility? Instead up this uppercut to the nuts.. The draft picks aren't gonna be worth jack squat..

At least I can take comfort knowing he won't win a title.. It's just be gonna be bs watching him in that piss yellow jersey.. Screw him..

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
What do you do? say, "No Steve, we know you want to be where your kids are, but we have a long standing hatred for the Lakers. We know we aren't going to compete with them any time soon, and we know the package is good. We know that you could just walk to Toronto and we get nothing. But we just hate Kobe so tough luck buddy."

You understand that the Lakers couldn't get Nash except by trade, right? So the Suns say, "We know you don't want to go to Toronto; the only realistic options are New York and Los Angeles. We're open to either, but we think we can get better value with the Knicks. Can you hold off for a couple of days while we get each side to maximize their offer?" It's not complicated.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You understand that the Lakers couldn't get Nash except by trade, right? So the Suns say, "We know you don't want to go to Toronto; the only realistic options are New York and Los Angeles. We're open to either, but we think we can get better value with the Knicks. Can you hold off for a couple of days while we get each side to maximize their offer?" It's not complicated.

I think he ends up in Dallas if not the Lakers, and they could have signed him outright.