What is the plan?

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by boisesuns, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Proximo

Proximo Registered

I am just going to mention this again because some people still don't seem to know the new lottery rules.

Lottery chances
    worst record 14% chance
    2nd worst record 14% chance
    3rd worst record 14% chance
    4th worst record 12.5% chance
    5th worst record 10.5% chance
    6th worst record 9% chance
    7th worst record 7.5% chance

There is very little difference in the odds of 1st to 6th worst record in terms of getting the first pick. There is no good reason to actively tank to have the absolute worst record.

Going from 20 - 25 wins likely means almost nothing in terms of our odds of first pick. We should want to go to 25 wins with the current way the rules work now.

2. Proximo

Proximo Registered

Yeah, and that translated into him being a good scorer at the NBA level for a long time.

Morant's court vision looks pretty good to me. He's not Nash - but there is a reason he has one of the highest assist averages in the nation.

3. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

i can't believe part of the plan is almost zero college scouting. That seems beyond idiotic and backing us into a corner draft wise where we might either make a drastic trade using the lotto pick or just be caught completely flat-footed if they can't make a good trade using the lotto pick and blowing another one.

Can anyone make a good argument for why the team shouldn't be diving into scouting with such an atrocious team and a likely top 5 lotto pick on the way? I understand their idea to use that pick to hopefully get a vet (I don't agree with it necessarily, but I understand that is supposed to be part of their plan), but wouldn't you think they'd want to be prepared for either scenario to the best of their ability?

4. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

Agreed on most of this post, especially the idea that trading Warren would bring back more return. I never have considered Bridges undersized. He is very long for a 3.

5. SirStefan32

SirStefan32 Krycek, Alex Krycek

Well, from listening to Jones and even Sarver, I am guessing that the pick is getting traded. I tend to agree with that strategy, but they should absolutely be scouting. I am not sure how you know they are not, but if that's the case, that's a big miss. Even if they are trading the pick, we could end up in a scenario where they swap picks, or get a later pick in return, or something like that.

Mainstreet likes this.
  6. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

I heard some rumblings about the Suns not having college scouting right now, but its a bit hard for me to believe. To me that sounds like what a previous Suns scout would say after being let go. I imagine they are putting together a scouting staff right now. There is time. The scouts they hire are certainly scouting already because that is what scouts do. If they plan to move forward without a scouting staff, you are right, that would be idiotic. Usually people are never quite as dumb or as smart as we think.

7. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

unfortunately, people calling the shots for the Suns have proven dumber than we could ever believe over the last decade or so.

And if Jones IS actually putting together a scouting team for college, I don't really know what makes him qualified to put together a staff like that.

8. 1Sun

1Sun Banned

At this point, unless we get a king's ransom for Booker to slide Barrett into the shooting guard role, I believe it HAS to be Zion or trade the pick. I really don't see a single other player projected in the lottery who could be a capable NBA starter at any time during his rookie contract.

9. BC867

BC867 Long time Phoenician! Contributor

A Point Guard who is a skilled passer, whether it is for the assist pass or the setup-for-an-assist pass (which does not show in the stats), as well as a good defender (and with dependable 2-point and free throw shots) can make this team, and the rest of the roster, much improved.

By making it simpler for Booker, Ayton and the rest of the team to do their best on offense, which will affect not only the scoring, but their states of mind. That concept cannot be overstated.

An "average" Point Guard in the best basketball league in the world is nothing to be ashamed of, especially if an experienced Point Guard facilitates (more than anyone else, including the coaches) the scorers around him. And, especially next to Devin, if he is an average defender in the backcourt.

Most fans now seem to agree that Booker needs to move back to full-time Shooting Guard. Putting the weight of the team on his shoulders has taken its toll. That alone will make an average Point Guard extremely valuable.

It is not about stats. It is about something I've been harping on -- team balance. Management should make it simpler for its players to do the job well. That has hardly been the case.

For the Suns, "average" would be a significant improvement! Let's step up to there, then hope that, somehow, management can plan the moves for the next step.

Mainstreet likes this.
  10. BC867

BC867 Long time Phoenician! Contributor

We saw Warren's reaction when he was moved from starter to the bench. It didn't work then, so it won't work now. That is not a solution.

11. elindholm

elindholm edited for content

I know his arms are long, but other than that he looks tiny out there. He is listed at 6' 7", 210, but he looks smaller and lighter to me than Danny Green (whose game is somewhat similar), and Green is listed at 6' 6", 215. Physically, Bridges reminds me a lot of Walter Davis, who was listed at 6' 6", 198, and who was a better fit at SG than at SF once the league got bigger and stronger.

BC867 likes this.
  12. Finito

Finito Registered

Plan? Plan?

13. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Señor Caca Cabeza Contributor

Jeff Teague would make some sense, as far as far value for Warren but I'm not sure the Wolves would have interest in Warren since they brought in Covington and Saric in the Butler trade. They already have Wiggins as one wing with Covington on the other and Saric as their PF. I think we'd need to get another team involved to make that happen. I could see Minnesota shopping Teague since Rose and Tyus Jones have been better and are cheaper. They'll probably look to resign Rose this summer and if Teague opts out that means he'd be leaving.

14. GatorAZ

GatorAZ Formerly known as GatorHater

[​IMG]

15. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

Yeah this is what makes me place the “STUPID” label across Sarver’s image an whomever is onboard that stupidity with Sarver.