What is the plan?

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by boisesuns, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

I agree a lot with what you are saying but even an average point would help the Suns immensely. The Suns need someone to run the offense and make the right pass which is not happening now.

SirStefan32 and CardsSunsDbacks like this.
  2. ColdPickleNachos

ColdPickleNachos Registered

I guess my point on Vonleh and Warren is that the Suns need to worry less about perceived value or other teams and more about their own team construction.

Warren is going to make some team very happy one day...it's just probably not going to be the Suns.

There is a possibility Bender becomes a serviceable player and blooms late like Vonleh...it's just not going to happen on the Suns.

Ayton and Booker need a 3 who plays great defense, hits open shots, and moves the ball. Bridges and Oubre are excellent candidates for this.

Ayton and Booker need a 4 who does those things and can also match up against bigger physical teams. That guy is not on the roster. Vonleh seems like one of the top candidates where we actually may have a path to acquire him.

Obviously, they need a competent point guard and the right coaching staff too, but I feel like that has been discussed once or twice on this board recently. :)

BC867 and Mainstreet like this.
  3. SirStefan32

SirStefan32 Krycek, Alex Krycek

I agree with you. Even an average point guard would make the Suns MUCH better.

Mainstreet likes this.
  4. taz02

taz02 Registered

I agree that it will help. My fear is that an average PG will move us from 20 wins to 25. Then what?

Since starting, Melton is averaging 3.27 assists per game and 6.7 ppg. I have a hard time believing an average PG that adds 5 assists and 12 ppg is going to turn this team around.

The team is a lot worse than I expected prior to the start of the season.

5. AzStevenCal

AzStevenCal ASFN Contributor Contributor

If by average you mean average starter level point guard, I agree.

CardsSunsDbacks likes this.
  6. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

It’s not just about stats with a point guard. Being a competent floor general that can communicate effectively IMO is much more important. Melton hasn’t shown he can do that.

BC867, SirStefan32 and Ouchie-Z-Clown like this.
  7. AzStevenCal

They are worse than I expected but not really by that much. I expected close to 30 wins which is looking high but we have an easier remaining schedule than we've played to date so I don't think we'll miss it by much.

8. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

As @Chaplin noted it is more than assists. The Suns need someone to run the team effectively.

Also an average point guard can help determine where the problem is... whether it is a lack of talent or a coaching issue. If the problem is coaching, we need to find this out before next season.

SirStefan32 likes this.
  9. swagron

swagron Registered

L Ball for Warren?

10. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

OK. We can try to trade for Rubio now. Utah would probably be willing to try to salvage something from his impending departure anyway. It give us Bird rights to sign him.

Anderson, Melton (or Okobo, whichever they want) plus whatever picks are necessary (Our top 8 protected pick otherwise it becomes the Bucks pick and three seconds).
    for

Rubio, Udoh (not playing now), and Sefolosha (only getting 11 minutes per game)

Just trying to put something out there that makes sense for both teams. Anderson's contract is a huge negative that is hard to gauge. Melton for Rubio is a fair trade. They are going to lose Rubio and Melton is a young player they can develop. We have to give up the pick to move Anderson, who is necessary in the deal in order to match salaries.

11. Proximo

Proximo Registered

You guys would really rather trade Warren than Jackson? Not me.

Warren is a 6th man - and he would be damn good at that. We need a PF that can play d, and rebound next to Ayton. But I think it would be silly to get rid of Warren for the likely value we would get for him.

I think we are going to make a trade for a pg before the deadline - and honestly I think it is going to involve our first round pick. I am just praying they have enough sense to at least top one protect it, because if we lose out on Zion, I am not sure I could be a Suns fan anymore.

There is a reason the Suns are in no hurry to hire scouts - they don't plan on needing them this year.

12. AzStevenCal

Yes but I'm assuming that Warren has greater trade value. But sure, I'd trade Josh first if he had enough value to be the prize in a PG trade.

13. taz02

taz02 Registered

The schedule does get better. Though we have already lost to teams representing more than half the remaining schedule.

We'll be lucky to finish with 25 wins. 21 or 22 wins is more likely.

14. elindholm

elindholm edited for content

When considering trading players away, remember that their value to a new team matters as much as their value to the Suns. If you trade away only players you don't want, you don't get anything in return.

If anyone wants to give value for Jackson, I say make the move now. He needs to be in a disciplined system where his responsibilities are well defined. With the Suns, it's every man for himself, and that exposes his weaknesses.

The Suns were going to lose last night's game against the Clippers anyway, but the key blow that derailed their desperate comeback was when Jackson tried to force something idiotic from the top of the circle at the start of a critical possession, fed the ball right to the Clippers, and gave up a fast-break layup. It's something like that nearly every game with him, and it comes from being on a team that's asking him to be more than he can be. (Plus the fact that his basketball IQ is so appallingly low.)

Warren is also a candidate to be moved. He's the second oldest player in the rotation behind Crawford and among the most fundamentally sound (which isn't saying much). Looking at his body language, the constant losing seems to wearing on him more than anyone except maybe Booker. It would not surprise me if Warren has already asked for a trade. Booker may also have, but the Suns have to keep him.

Warren is a proven scorer who has expanded his range and is on a good contract. I'd rather keep Warren than Jackson, but Warren has more value and would bring back more in return. And, sadly, I don't see a long-term future for him in Phoenix, because there is only so much he can do and his patience is nearing its limit.

Bridges is undersized and Oubre is limited offensively, but either of them could be a rotation player in a 3-and-D role. Both appear to be better prospects than Jackson. Warren did the one thing people were asking him to do, which was become a good three-point shooter, and his reward has been to be stuck on an even worse team than last season's fiasco. It's a mess all around, but the Suns need to be open-minded and listen to anyone who seems to have a serious interest.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    hcsilla and SirStefan32 like this.
  15. AzStevenCal

This team today probably won't win 25 games. But this team on an average night is noticeably better than the November team on an average night and I expect that trend to continue. Plus, I made my initial prediction on this team with the expectation that we'd acquire a decent PG and while it's going to come later than it should have, I still believe we'll add a competent PG by the trade deadline.