What is the plan?

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by boisesuns, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Carolinacacti

Carolinacacti Registered

They need to trout the Morris twins, Len, Bled and Book out. Age helps win games, so does Management. They need a PF to help the Ball less one and move Warren back to SF. Tell Booker to pull his head out and have Bridges play with him. My god the Bench is fast

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  2. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

I can't imagine any team wanting Anderson as he has another year on his contract unless the Suns are taking a worse contract back.

3. Mainstreet

The Suns could have used the Rivers contract to help get Rubio but the Suns waived him. :hammer:

Hoop Head likes this.
  4. Proximo

Proximo Registered

What potential PG on the market would be worth Warren?

I would include him in a deal for Brogdan I suppose. But not for Russel, Rubio or Dennis Smith.

Efficient 20 PPG scorers are rare - even more rare are 25 year old ones with a good contract. It would be idiotic to give him away for a subpar PG.

5. Proximo

Proximo Registered

I have to agree, I do not understand why they bought him out. Tell him to stay home till the deadline if he refused to play for us. We gave away an asset for no good reason.

elindholm likes this.
  6. Mainstreet

It's almost like the Suns want to be bad.

I could say it's for the draft but there is a fair chance they trade their first rounder.

7. 1Sun

1Sun Banned

Sadly, they are exactly as I expected.

8. Mainstreet

It's important to understand where Phoenix is headed.

BC867 likes this.
  9. Proximo

Proximo Registered

You know actually I just realized something - we could not trade rivers with another player before the deadline - only picks, and his value is quite low. Actually negative for his salary level.

So I guess the odds we would have been able to use him in a trade would be a longshot. I think Jones did it because he wants a player friendly reputation.

Still does not seem like the right move to me, but maybe I understand now why they justified it to themselves.

10. overseascardfan

overseascardfan Registered User

This team needs a defensive PF who can rebound and a PG who can pass and defend and score if necessary as there have been games where Warren and Ayton aren't scoring enough to help Booker on offense. Unfortunately, at this point you are looking for stop gaps because the pieces PHX needs aren't available in trade. You can get Vonleh but I don't know if his defense is enough to hide Ayton in games he's not motivated to play defense. PHX needs someone like a Myles Turner or Anthony Davis type of difference maker but those guys aren't available. As for PG, PHX needs a Russell Westbrook / De'Aaron Fox type to play alongside Booker. Noah Vonleh, Bobby Portis, D'Angelo Russell, Tyus Jones, Jeff Teague are guys PHX can get at deadline but how much better do they make PHX? Say we get guys who take us from a 20 win team to a 25 win team, all that does it possibly take us out of the Zion Williamson / Ja Morant draft range. I know some of you on this board are Morant critics but I see him as the next De'Aaron Fox. Fox was not a great 3pt shooter coming out of Kentucky but he improved as I feel Morant will too. Morant's main weakness is his 3pt shot and turnovers but on a team where he doesn't have to do it all that should help him cut down on them. He can score, pass & defend and has Fox type quickness with the ball. Zion is obviously the best case scenario for PHX but if we don't get him I would take Morant now that bum feet may derail Bol's long term NBA future.

I would try to get Russell to at least appease Booker for rest of this year playing with his friend and if he pans out then sign him long term if not see if you can get Morant & Zion in the draft. To improve post defense maybe see if we can get Noel from OKC, he had his way with Ayton a couple of weeks ago.

Ayton
    Noel
    Bridges
    Booker
    Russell

11. 1Sun

1Sun Banned

The level of competition faced by Fox and Morant is like night and day. I maintain that Morant isn't any more of a point guard prospect than what we already have in Okobo and Melton, namely in all likely not a future NBA starting point guard but rather an energizer off the bench with a ceiling along the lines of a Monta Ellis. If this team is tanking for the likes of Ja Morant, we in even bigger trouble than I thought. Again, unless and until Morant either elevates his team to even 1 win over high-major competition (let alone the Elite Eight to which Curry led his Davidson team) or demonstrates an elite skill, he is not the answer, and certainly not in the top 5 of the draft.

I think Russell is the way to go at this point, particularly with Booker getting more and more noticeably frustrated. Tyus Jones or Jeff Teague would be fine as well.

12. Mainstreet

It's a good point. Maybe the contracts would not have been close enough to work.

Nevertheless the Suns negated themselves the opportunity to use Chandler and Rivers as trade chips.

13. Proximo

Proximo Registered

I'm sorry your just wrong.

When you see a guy that can blow past dudes with great athleticism like Morant can - that translates to all levels of competition.

He is not shooting great - but his form looks pretty good, so I am not worried about that. If there is anything about Morant that might be problematic, it is his defense.

14. Town Drunk

Town Drunk Longest serving ASFN lurker

84C034AD-AD0E-4102-BB03-A0F47F4805EC.jpeg

That’s how I view the front office currently.

15. 1Sun

1Sun Banned

And his poor court vision. And his shot selection. Remember that Monta Ellis could also blow past dudes with great athleticism.