What happened to Isaiah Simmons?

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I’m not looking to denigrate him. He had a nice game. I’m glad we are making use of him. Just astounded that even after a full season in the nfl he’s still body catching.

I have been a Cardinal fan since the St.Louis days and actually Izzy is a mix bag which reminds me of Pat Tilley. Tilley would catch most anything but at times he would body catch. Hey, if he can still be productive I have no problem but it does make one jumpy and all you have to do is watch Isabella on punt return to see a tad of insecurity when catching

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Maybe he isn't preparing the way he should?
I don't believe this is the case from the info that I have. That said, it would be a reason. IMO, this is Vance, who is not a creative thinker, not knowing what to do with a player who doesn't fix in a single box.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
All right people who said I was overreacting and negative, is now the time to start worrying? 10 snaps. Kylie Fitts played more snaps than our "eraser" and "movable chess piece" that we drafted #8 overall. Charles Washington played 3x the snaps. Reddick 4x. So, now that our defense is playing like crap, because of it's coordinator, is it now ok to be critical? Now can you get on board because you took the pyrite to the jewelry store and they laughed in your face after people told you with wasn't gold? Is it ok to be critical after our defense showed what it really is vs the Panthers and Super Bowl Teddy?

Our handling the #8 overall pick and one of the most spectacular defensive players in college football is more embarrassing than our loss to the Lions and the Panthers. It is on Keim, Vance and even Kliff to some degree. What the hell were you thinking Keim? Where was your self awareness of what Vance has always shown to be? Hmmm, I can give my franchise a young RT to upgrade over Marcus Gilbert (never played a snap) and Justin Murray OR I can give a unique, position-less player to a DC who couldn't MacGyver his way out of a paper bag. When people were saying that Simmons success was dependent on the team and coordinator that he went to, THEY WERE TALKING ABOUT US! Unimaginative. No plan. Horrible history with these types of players. We have taken a unicorn and put him in the roll fit for a donkey. What was the first hint? Maybe that his role is the one that Devondre Freaking Campbell can fill who has none of Simmons athletic ability.

This is how losing teams stay losers. They don't learn. They don't evolve. They aren't self-aware. They just make the same mistakes over and over again, and can't see that the problem is looking at them in the mirror.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All right people who said I was overreacting and negative, is now the time to start worrying? 10 snaps. Kylie Fitts played more snaps than our "eraser" and "movable chess piece" that we drafted #8 overall. Charles Washington played 3x the snaps. Reddick 4x. So, now that our defense is playing like crap, because of it's coordinator, is it now ok to be critical? Now can you get on board because you took the pyrite to the jewelry store and they laughed in your face after people told you with wasn't gold? Is it ok to be critical after our defense showed what it really is vs the Panthers and Super Bowl Teddy?

Our handling the #8 overall pick and one of the most spectacular defensive players in college football is more embarrassing than our loss to the Lions and the Panthers. It is on Keim, Vance and even Kliff to some degree. What the hell were you thinking Keim? Where was your self awareness of what Vance has always shown to be? Hmmm, I can give my franchise a young RT to upgrade over Marcus Gilbert (never played a snap) and Justin Murray OR I can give a unique, position-less player to a DC who couldn't MacGyver his way out of a paper bag. When people were saying that Simmons success was dependent on the team and coordinator that he went to, THEY WERE TALKING ABOUT US! Unimaginative. No plan. Horrible history with these types of players. We have taken a unicorn and put him in the roll fit for a donkey. What was the first hint? Maybe that his role is the one that Devondre Freaking Campbell can fill who has none of Simmons athletic ability.

This is how losing teams stay losers. They don't learn. They don't evolve. They aren't self-aware. They just make the same mistakes over and over again, and can't see that the problem is looking at them in the mirror.

Is it really a coincidence that the "reliables" on this team of Fitz, Jones and Peterson are all garbage at the same time? I know they are all aging but all of them together?

Normally, when I see seasoned vets all trending down my brain screams "They aren't buying the coaching".

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Is it really a coincidence that the "reliables" on this team of Fitz, Jones and Peterson are all garbage at the same time? I know they are all aging but all of them together?

Normally, when I see seasoned vets all trending down my brain screams "They aren't buying the coaching".
These guys are professionals so I don't really buy that they are checking out.

Fitz is not dynamic and the rare times he gets open, Murray hasn't hit him. In fact, with Murray's struggles on intermediate throws, you can argue Fitz is worthless because that is about all he can offer at this point in time.

Peterson is a man cover playing more and more zone. We can argue about how much he has left, but he damn sure isn't going to suddenly become a better player playing zone. With Peterson, we get back to putting players in positions to be successful. Matching up Peterson on Robby Anderson isn't it. Having him not press quicker WRs on the line isn't it. Having him follow WRs and then having to play in the slot isn't it. None of those things help him and put him in a position to have whatever success he has left.

Chandler Jones is a question mark, but some of it is that Vance sells out so much to stop the run that Chandler can't just rush. This is the issue when you play complex assignment football that tries to protect against everything. Also, when your defense plays soft zones those quick passes negate the outside rush. Chandler is struggling because his opportunities are lower with the soft zone, run defense scheme we are in.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
These guys are professionals so I don't really buy that they are checking out.

Fitz is not dynamic and the rare times he gets open, Murray hasn't hit him. In fact, with Murray's struggles on intermediate throws, you can argue Fitz is worthless because that is about all he can offer at this point in time.

Peterson is a man cover playing more and more zone. We can argue about how much he has left, but he damn sure isn't going to suddenly become a better player playing zone. With Peterson, we get back to putting players in positions to be successful. Matching up Peterson on Robby Anderson isn't it. Having him not press quicker WRs on the line isn't it. Having him follow WRs and then having to play in the slot isn't it. None of those things help him and put him in a position to have whatever success he has left.

Chandler Jones is a question mark, but some of it is that Vance sells out so much to stop the run that Chandler can't just rush. This is the issue when you play complex assignment football that tries to protect against everything. Also, when your defense plays soft zones those quick passes negate the outside rush. Chandler is struggling because his opportunities are lower with the soft zone, run defense scheme we are in.

If only we had a head coach that had his hand on the tiller.

Would be nice to have a HC that would turn to Vance and say "WTF you doing with CJ man? Get him rushing the passer"

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Kylie Fitts is outplaying Simmons. At a sports bar with friends. I actually saw a few nice plays from a player who I thought was wearing #48. Then I realized it was #49: Kylie Fitts

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was F’in sweet. K1 to Hop!!

edit: wrong thread LoL

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Amazing Simmons could barely get on the field against the lowly Jets... even with Jones going down...

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
I find it inconceivable that Simmons is too dumb to learn this defense to the point where they don’t even play him. He was/is one of the most talented/athletic players coming out in this draft...just mind boggling he’s not getting any reps. This is all on Keim and Vance...how the hell do you draft a guy top 10 and not have a plan for him...absolutely insane.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
no stop cause Isiah Simmons was 100% the right pick to make. Stop acting like we reached for some unheard of player.
TBF I wanted Oline and maybe WR if we didnt love one of them.

A lot of people said you needed a GREAT defensive mind to figure out what to do with Simmons.

Vance isnt that guy. That isnt giving up on Simmons. However, we may never know what he is until we get the right DC. Meanwhile others studs step in and play immediately.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We need to send simmons and a 3rd rd pick to the browns for Odell and fix this mistake

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
no stop cause Isiah Simmons was 100% the right pick to make. Stop acting like we reached for some unheard of player.
Not with Vance Joseph as your DC, overall position value, and your #1 FA pickup was Devondre Campbell. For a team with a more creative DC or a glaring hole, yes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose