What happened to Isaiah Simmons?

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
You know what to do Keim. Don't let your loyalties and self pride get in the way.

Vance Joseph is an uninspiring, unimaginative defensive coordinator.

This teams window is really short with Kyler on his rookie contract still, don't be stupid Keim wasting your time with this sorry DC.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To have not heard a word about Simmons during camp combined with his ghost like appearance in the first three games is really surprising... and a little troubling.

I think his play or lack thereof probably lies at the feet of the least imaginative (which is being kind) defensive coordinators ever... or at least that’s what I’m hoping for. Only problem with that is knowing that coach is not only going to severely hamstring this team overall but could do some serious damages to a rookie’s psyche.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If I'm Vance I'm playing Simmons at SS next game.

What you got to lose? He cannot be worse than JAGs like Riley.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The issue with Simmons now in a way is hurting the offense.

We draft a player that we dont play on defense. Instead of securing a RT or finding the replacement for Fitz.

Wirfs and Wills look good out there.

Kirk is not much of an outside wr, has health issues and I think I'm done with KJ (or close to it)

So we passed up an outside WR as well.

Keim needs to MAKE Simmons happen by telling Vance to play him at least 33% of the snaps.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

We draft a player that we dont play on defense. Instead of securing a RT or finding the replacement for Fitz.

Kirk is not much of an outside wr, has health issues and I think I'm done with KJ (or close to it)

Keim needs to MAKE Simmons happen by telling Vance to play him at least 33% of the snaps.
Especially when you Jeremy Chinn is playing really vs for the Panthers. I know that is a bit of a stretch but this was a guy drafted 40+ picks later with a similar skill set and his team is finding a way to make him impactful.

The reality is that we were probably never equipped to take Isaiah Simmons but our lack of self awareness in that area caused us to.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Especially when you Jeremy Chinn is playing really vs for the Panthers. I know that is a bit of a stretch but this was a guy drafted 40+ picks later with a similar skill set and his team is finding a way to make him impactful.

The reality is that we were probably never equipped to take Isaiah Simmons but our lack of self awareness in that area caused us to.

Simmons is a safety not a linebacker. I seem to recall saying that before.

I'd love to see him at SS.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I dont believe Keim thought he would be there. Seemed like the Giants or Panthers were the favorite to draft him for a long time.

I get taking the best player available. I mean Vance is easy to can if necessary, but at least have a plan in place.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's always dangerous to draft tweeners without a true position.

They need to find out where Simmons is good and put him there. My concern is the Cardinals have already tried it. Hopefully Simmons is still learning the game and will come along like Andy Isabella.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Huge Haason Reddick vibes with Simmons in regards to his rookie year. Position switch. Injuries to the position he played in college. Position switch back. I am not saying it will turn out the same, but it is eerily similar.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
It is telling that they are willing to consider this. I was almost hoping for the we have a plan for Simmons and are going to stick with it. Ultimately, I have consistently been on the SS in base and LB in nickel squads since we drafted him and so this isn't heartbreaking, but I also don't trust Vance at all so it could ultimately lead to the shattering of Simmons's confidence.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He doesn't have a position, so to compensate for the hurting the offense point, we can try him at tigh end

Last edited:

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is telling that they are willing to consider this. I was almost hoping for the we have a plan for Simmons and are going to stick with it. Ultimately, I have consistently been on the SS in base and LB in nickel squads since we drafted him and so this isn't heartbreaking, but I also don't trust Vance at all so it could ultimately lead to the shattering of Simmons's confidence.

He has to play the Adrian Wilon role, we talked about this and this is where he belong

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Huge Haason Reddick vibes with Simmons in regards to his rookie year. Position switch. Injuries to the position he played in college. Position switch back. I am not saying it will turn out the same, but it is eerily similar.

Turns out Reddick actually was an OLB in a defense where you need to have 315+ lbs DEs.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score

Thank Christ he's worlds apart in talent from Reddick.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Reddick of all people, finally becoming a good player in year 4 should at least alleviate concerns that we might ruin Simmons.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Reddick of all people, finally becoming a good player in year 4 should at least alleviate concerns that we might ruin Simmons.
It’s also his first year of having any kind of position and scheme continuity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
What impressed me was he was catching textbook with his hands today, the slot no longer seems too big for him because of that
Huh that’s interesting because cheese and I discussed the fact that he was still body catching and almost lost one because of it.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Reddick was an OLB in college....we tried to make him an ILB before realizing that was a mistake.

Simmons was a SS in college....and they are learning from their mistakes and saying "lets not force him into something he isnt....lets just make him a pro-bowl SS". Lucky for us Campbell and Hicks made it hard for him to get snaps, and we have a need a SS. Whatever the reason, we will get our #8 pick in the spot for him to succeed by game 4....not year 4 like Reddick