What happened to Isaiah Simmons?

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It's just painful because a lot of the preseason optimism for this team was built on Simmons becoming a star. Almost everyone agreed he was a can't miss pick that would be a day one contributor.

Turns out we are still a very similar team to last year and are still rebuilding.

ReasonableMan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Why are you assuming he's better than what we have on the field? Don't you think the coaches know better than you?
I think in that’s the part that is concerning.

either he sucks and we have blown another 1st round pick

Or the coaches don’t know what to do with him

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not with Vance Joseph as your DC, overall position value, and your #1 FA pickup was Devondre Campbell. For a team with a more creative DC or a glaring hole, yes.
Campbell is on a 1 year deal and is always one hit away from going down. Acting like that position was solidified longterm is fake news.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ok. All of that context is so much more meaningful than Keim

a: knowing Vance is not a creative DC

b: having Devondre Campbell as his number 1 target in FA

c: drafting Simmons to play the exact same position as Campbell

so please, expound on how Keim didn't set this entire thing up to fail? Was Vance suddenly going to become more creative despite his years of history? Was his #1 target in FA going to crap the bed? Was a college S and hybrid player going to beat out a career LB in a traditional LB role?

The only defense for this is Vance flat out lying to Keim in which case Keim should fire him. Well, that hasn't happened so we can assume that Keim took Simmons without any freaking clue or plan in how Vance was going to use him in year 1. It is yet another embarrassing 1st round draft blunder for Keim and a move that marred his otherwise tremendous offseason. All he had to do is take one of the OTs and he woudl have been fine. Instead he shot himself in the foot, again.
So we’re experiencing the craziest year in NFL history, with an abbreviated training camp & NO preseason, and you’re already calling Simmons an embarrassment? You go right ahead.

so please, expound on how Keim didn't set this entire thing up to fail? Was Vance suddenly going to become more creative despite his years of history? Was his #1 target in FA going to crap the bed? Was a college S and hybrid player going to beat out a career LB in a traditional LB role?

The only defense for this is Vance flat out lying to Keim in which case Keim should fire him. Well, that hasn't happened so we can assume that Keim took Simmons without any freaking clue or plan in how Vance was going to use him in year 1. It is yet another embarrassing 1st round draft blunder for Keim and a move that marred his otherwise tremendous offseason. All he had to do is take one of the OTs and he woudl have been fine. Instead he shot himself in the foot, again.
Very little training camp & NO preseason & you’re already labeling Simmons an embarrassment? Go right ahead. You sound foolish. Look, I’m pissed that Joseph hasn’t used him, but it’s KK’s job to force his hand, not Keim’s. You don’t fire a DC when your team is 3-2, especially during this crazy year. It’s obvious you’re suffering from Keim Derangement Syndrome.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That’s not weak. What’s weak is a GM that drafts talent that isn’t a fit for his coach’s philosophy. That’s literally a GM’s job.
Joseph’s philosophy is to leave TE’s wide open. The team (Bidwill, Keim, KK, etc) is apparently trying to modify that and Simmons is part of said movement. Also, to act like Joseph wasn’t excited about acquiring Simmons is ridiculous.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Stop calling Campbell their number 1 target. That’s fake news. They had him ranked as a #1 available player but he wasn’t their top target because they knew they wouldn’t be able to afford him long term. After he didn’t get long term offers at the money he wanted, he agreed to a 1 year deal with us. Also, benching him for a lesser player in Simmons right now would not bode well for us with year deals in the future. You’ve got to see the forest through the trees.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Lol. Or it’s 5 games into his rookie year and he’s not yet better than the near pro bowler who is ahead of him on the depth chart.

New Mexico

Fan since 1976ish
Reaction score

Why are those the only two options? Maybe he's just not ready given the abbreviated training camp and no pre-season games. I'm just gonna trust that the coaches know better than us, and are playing the best players. A little too early to call him a bust. I remember BA saying that rookies usually aren't ready to play before Thanksgiving, and that's with a normal off-season.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
So we’re experiencing the craziest year in NFL history, with an abbreviated training camp & NO preseason, and you’re already calling Simmons an embarrassment? You go right ahead.

Very little training camp & NO preseason & you’re already labeling Simmons an embarrassment? Go right ahead. You sound foolish. Look, I’m pissed that Joseph hasn’t used him, but it’s KK’s job to force his hand, not Keim’s. You don’t fire a DC when your team is 3-2, especially during this crazy year. It’s obvious you’re suffering from Keim Derangement Syndrome.
SO has every other rookie drafted in the first round...and they are all playing. Quit regurgitating tired arguments. Also, I have never called Simmons an embarrassment, I called the plan Keim and Vance had when drafting him as an embarrassment. Simmons is absolved of the blame. He didn't choose this mess.

And, it terms of Keim making mandates, it is absolutely his job to communicate with his coaches and then hold them accountable. And it terms of foolishness, the only one who sounds that is you for trying to justify how one of the worst GMs in the league at drafting deserves credit when the players he drafts struggle. The derangement is yours in caping up for a guy who has directed this franchise to one post season win since he took the job 8 years ago. He has done nearly zero to warrant getting any benefit of doubt.

Please feel free to continue to ignore facts and just spout how the Cardinals get to use Covid as an excuse when EVERY OTHER TEAM in the NFL had to operate under the same circumstances.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Lol. Or it’s 5 games into his rookie year and he’s not yet better than the near pro bowler who is ahead of him on the depth chart.
Great. We used the #8 pick in the draft to fill a role that street free agent Devondre Campbell can fill to a "near pro bowl" level. What a waste of an athletic freak of nature.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why are you assuming he's better than what we have on the field? Don't you think the coaches know better than you?

I’m not assuming anything. But, your top
Why are those the only two options? Maybe he's just not ready given the abbreviated training camp and no pre-season games. I'm just gonna trust that the coaches know better than us, and are playing the best players. A little too early to call him a bust. I remember BA saying that rookies usually aren't ready to play before Thanksgiving, and that's with a normal off-season.
SO has every other rookie drafted in the first round...and they are all playing. Quit regurgitating tired arguments. Also, I have never called Simmons an embarrassment, I called the plan Keim and Vance had when drafting him as an embarrassment. Simmons is absolved of the blame. He didn't choose this mess.

And, it terms of Keim making mandates, it is absolutely his job to communicate with his coaches and then hold them accountable. And it terms of foolishness, the only one who sounds that is you for trying to justify how one of the worst GMs in the league at drafting deserves credit when the players he drafts struggle. The derangement is yours in caping up for a guy who has directed this franchise to one post season win since he took the job 8 years ago. He has done nearly zero to warrant getting any benefit of doubt.

Please feel free to continue to ignore facts and just spout how the Cardinals get to use Covid as an excuse when EVERY OTHER TEAM in the NFL had to operate under the same circumstances.
Just more whining, condescending, know it all nonsense. When Bidwill is ready to even consider letting Keim go, I’m sure he’ll reach out to you for your input in the matter.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do people who keep using BUT COVID as an excuse live in the same world where every other team is dealing with the same thing, yet aren’t just writing off a rookie season for a first rounder... AGAIN?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Stop calling Campbell their number 1 target. That’s fake news. They had him ranked as a #1 available player but he wasn’t their top target because they knew they wouldn’t be able to afford him long term. After he didn’t get long term offers at the money he wanted, he agreed to a 1 year deal with us. Also, benching him for a lesser player in Simmons right now would not bode well for us with year deals in the future. You’ve got to see the forest through the trees.
Their number 1 available player is even worse. Especially when no one else wanted to give him long term money. How is that an endorsement? And we used the #8 pick in the draft to do what that guy can do. We drafted a freak hybrid athlete to play a traditional LB role.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I’m not assuming anything. But, your top

Just more whining, condescending, know it all nonsense. When Bidwill is ready to even consider letting Keim go, I’m sure he’ll reach out to you for your input in the matter.
Again...I appreciate how there is not one valid argument you can muster. If my arguments come across as whining, condescending, and know it all maybe it is because you are misdiagnosing them because they are critical, educational, and backed by facts. I get you like Keim but he is the constant. And to date, the bad has outweighed the good.

ReasonableMan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He’s gotta be better than Campbell or Riley or whatever PS scrub Joseph has placed ahead of him. He’s the 8th pick in the draft and has freakish athletic talent. come on. No reason for this.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Campbell is on a 1 year deal and is always one hit away from going down. Acting like that position was solidified longterm is fake news.
Yeah but if you think he’s the starter (and as our #1 FA Target i would hope that would be Keim’s thinking) and you think hicks is a starter, where do you think that leaves Simmons (the 8th pick) with a less than creative DC? A creative genius gets him starters snaps somehow. Vance . . . uh . . . no.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Do people who keep using BUT COVID as an excuse live in the same world where every other team is dealing with the same thing, yet aren’t just writing off a rookie season for a first rounder... AGAIN?
Yeah...I feel like if we had any sort or recent first round drafting success outside of the #1 pick overall, maybe the argument could be that the organization has proven they can manage these things. Unfortunately, Keim has been poor at the draft overall, bad in the first round, and one season of success with a "hybrid" player. Despite Simmons being the 3rd time we have tried to be successful at it.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Joseph’s philosophy is to leave TE’s wide open. The team (Bidwill, Keim, KK, etc) is apparently trying to modify that and Simmons is part of said movement. Also, to act like Joseph wasn’t excited about acquiring Simmons is ridiculous.

literally NO ONE has said that. What we are saying is, as the architect of the team a gm has to know each individual’s (coaches and players) strengths and weaknesses. Vance isn’t a creative genius. To expect him to maximize Simmons was failure of judgment by Keim.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
No, “fake news” is trying to argue he wasn’t the teams #1 Target when they e said that very thing.

ReasonableMan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
literally NO ONE has said that. What we are saying is, as the architect of the team a gm has to know each individual’s (coaches and players) strengths and weaknesses. Vance isn’t a creative genius. To expect him to maximize Simmons was failure of judgment by Keim.
True. So was hiring him in the first place. The guy who Joseph copies is available anyway. I’d still be onboard with being Phillips on in some capacity to figure this out

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I’m not saying he’s a bust but I’m tired of people using the abbreviated preseason/training camp as excuse.
I just watched highlights of Patrick Queen tearing it up for Baltimore today (sack, fumble recovery and score). Ive also seen both Chase Young and Derrick Brown impact the game already this year. They are all working on the same timeline

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson