What are you reading now?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fair comment that, just trying to steer BIM towards (as you rightly say) something similar but a lot more witty.

Can't say I have read Parker though. Worth a look eh?

I don't know how Spenser would hold up for today's readers but Harlan is clearly a Parker fan IMO. I'd give it a go if I were you, can't cost you more than the price of a book and a handful of hours. But you'll definitely notice some personality similarities between the two protagonists and even their sidekicks.

Steve

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I normally go through a book a week. My morning commute on the train is about 40 minutes and they have "quiet cars", no talking, no phone calls etc, perfect time to read.

The most recent books I read:

The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed America by Erik Larson

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

One Year Later by William Forstchen

Germanica by Robert Conroy

Of those Ready Player One was the best read, it has so many references for people who grew up at the same time I did--it made it a lot of fun. I read Clines other book Armada which was a fun read as well.

Avondale Red Rage

Just wondering...
Reaction score
I normally go through a book a week. My morning commute on the train is about 40 minutes and they have "quiet cars", no talking, no phone calls etc, perfect time to read.

The most recent books I read:

The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed America by Erik Larson

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

One Year Later by William Forstchen

Germanica by Robert Conroy

Of those Ready Player One was the best read, it has so many references for people who grew up at the same time I did--it made it a lot of fun. I read Clines other book Armada which was a fun read as well.

Love Larson. I read Dead Wake: The last crossing of the Lusitania when it came out last fall and highly recommend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make Me (Reacher book #20) by Lee Child.

Still refuse to see a movie until they cast a Reacher taller than me - and I'd be dwarfed by Reacher. LOL

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK. I'll ask. Who would you cast for the lead?

Ray Stevenson, Liev Schreiber, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, Idris Elba, etc. All actors that I believe could pull off smart, menacing, and huge - characteristics listed by Lee Child himself regarding the character and casting the role.

In order to get butts in the seats and make a legit series out of it...most likely The Rock.

Child heard the name Tom Cruise and sold out. Period. SMH.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Ray Stevenson, Liev Schreiber, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, Idris Elba, etc. All actors that I believe could pull off smart, menacing, and huge - characteristics listed by Lee Child himself regarding the character and casting the role.

In order to get butts in the seats and make a legit series out of it...most likely The Rock.

I was thinking the Rock also. If you had never read the books maybe TC would work. But after reading any part of any of the books, it is an awful miscast. :thumbdown

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was picturing someone like Dominic Purcell.

It's kinda humorous when you really think about it. Purcell is still about 3 inches shorter than the fictional character of Jack Reacher...but he is 7 inches taller than puny Tom Cruise.

:biglaugh:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Sapiens. I have seen a lot of the stuff in the book on the History Channel, but it is a good refresher for me. I am amazed by comments online about how much people learned about the Human race from this book, and I am thinking "Really? You didn't know this?" Some of the stuff goes back to when I was in grade school. I guess the education system is not all that great anymore. I mean I knew some of this stuff and I went to school in Yuma! Probably the low end of the educational spectrum. LOL!

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

I would take anyone on this list except Mark Wahlberg. Caviezel would have been my favorite.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Did you ever finish it? I was thinking of it, but darn ... how do you people find the time to read all these books!?!?

Instead I read the "Making of Hamilton - the Musical" by LinManuel Miranda :)

No. It got buried under higher priority books.

I just picked The Mitrokhin Archive off my shelves. Here's the bookmark I was using the last time I read it.

You must be registered for see images

Errntknght

Reaction score
I got Kindle recently and have been buying books left and right - and reading up a storm. From fun fluff to quantum theory. Tony Hillerman - and his daughter(not so good, IMO). Episodes of the Ladies No, 1 Detective Agents, McCall Smith. 'Through a Window - my thirty years with the chimpanzees at Gombe', Jane Goodall. 'That Quail, Robert' by Margaret Stanger. 'Alex & Me: How a Scientist and a Parrot Discovered the World of Animal Intelligence', Irene Pepperberg. 'Before the Dawn, Recovering the History of our Lost Ancestery', Nicholas Wade (Interesting but lots of gaps).

'Reality is Not What It Seems: the Journey to Quantum Gravity', Carlo Rovelli. The most astonishing part of this book is the history of scientific thought - who'd have guessed that Plato and Aristotle were reactionary lesser lights and Johnny-come-latelies. Their writings survived historically because they were reactionaries - meaning not intellectual threats to the Roman Catholic Church. Their brilliant antecedents dismissed all religion and most history as mental comfort food; dismissed up & down, hot & cold, sweet & sour etc., as opinions. Reality consisted, in toto, of space, atoms and motion. The world or universe had no grand plan, no hierarchies of being - we were a species of animal. The behavior of the world could be discerned by careful observation and thought - end of story. Euclid and Pythagorus began the process of using mathematics to express science and their works survived because they'd been translated into Indian and Arabic languages - they were useful.

And quantum gravity? Well I have a vague idea what the words mean.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard