What are some camp battles you’re looking forward to?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I am looking forward to seeing how the interior of the OL shakes out...Sweezy, Pugh, Garcia, Cole, Gaillard, Shipley ...could be interesting to see what starting combo we get.

Also looking forward to how many WRs are on the roster—6 or 7, the battle for the last 1 or 2 spots should be fun.

CB could be a battle beyond Peterson, Alford, Murphy.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
oline period.

I want to see this new coach put these guys through a wringer and five guys prove they deserve the starting jobs. To hell with salaries, to hell with draft position... best five, make them earn it.

WR is also gonna be good. we drafted some good talent...last year we had a guy named Jalen Tolliver and I just knew he was gonna make the squad but somehow he ended up on the practice squad...I would like to see some passion for the position,...and maybe see some unexpected guys make the final 53

the team could be good this year. But in order for that to happen we need several rookies and second year guys to step up and learn their roles quickly.

Lagerfilled

Professional Tailgater
Reaction score
Gaillard vs Cole
Murphy vs Alford

Who will be the PR and KR

Feels like most of the positions are set.

Murphy won’t be battling Alford for outside CB duties, much less Pat P.

Byron will likely be fighting with Trumaine Brock, David Amerson, & Deatrick Nichols for the starting slot CB role.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pugh versus a guard is not on the roster yet

Humphries vs Cunningham

Cole vs Shipley

Reddick vs zeke turner

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Just a guess, but I think that Shipley will start at center, since (reprtedly he's a better center for the shotgun formation). Either Cole or Gaillard will be moved to guard or backup center. Like I said, just a guess.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Just a guess, but I think that Shipley will start at center, since (reprtedly he's a better center for the shotgun formation). Either Cole or Gaillard will be moved to guard or backup center. Like I said, just a guess.
Im interested in seeing how Cole develops....dude played well, he just needed to get stronger so he could move guys rather than just stand them up.... the off season work is make or break for him I think.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Im interested in seeing how Cole develops....dude played well, he just needed to get stronger so he could move guys rather than just stand them up.... the off season work is make or break for him I think.

Hopefully the FO has some patience with Cole and lets him continue to improve.Shipley isn`t the most powerful player and isn`t getting younger.Gaillard and Cole could push Shipley off the roster.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Oline should be very interesting
D.J.Humphries
Korey Cunningham
Marcus Gilbert trade pickup
Will Holden
Justin Evans PS guy last year
Tariq Cole UDFA
Joshua Miles
Andrew Lauderdale AAF FA signing
Brent Weiss UDFA from last year
all battling at OT

Justin Pugh
J.R.Sweezey FA signing
Colby Gossett
Jeremy Vujnovich
Will House PS guy part of last season was UDFA
Zach Golditch UDFA pickup last season
Rees Odhiambro
Casey Tucker UDFA
Max Garcia FA signing
Mason Cole
A.Q. Shipley
Coleman Shelton PS guy last season

all battling inside

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Hopefully the FO has some patience with Cole and lets him continue to improve.Shipley isn`t the most powerful player and isn`t getting younger.Gaillard and Cole could push Shipley off the roster.
I agree.... looked to me like Cole legitimately took shipleys job last season...I know dude got hurt, but Cole played well enough to make shipley obsolete...adding this new guy into the mix makes it interesting.
thing is, until last season shipley had been pretty much injury free. that durability could play into the decision...put shipley back at center, with cole at guard...and its reasonable to expect those two positions to be locked down for the year.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

Agreed. AQ was a career back-up before he played for the Cardinals and he was the 28th ranked C in 2017.

Great guy...leader...but doubt he makes the roster.

(AQ) The former seventh-round pick started every game over the last two seasons in Arizona. His 61.3 offensive grade in 2017 was 28th among centers, but his 77.9 pass-blocking grade ranked 13th.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-mason-cole-to-take-over-for-injured-shipley

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
I agree.... looked to me like Cole legitimately took shipleys job last season...I know dude got hurt, but Cole played well enough to make shipley obsolete...adding this new guy into the mix makes it interesting.
thing is, until last season shipley had been pretty much injury free. that durability could play into the decision...put shipley back at center, with cole at guard...and its reasonable to expect those two positions to be locked down for the year.

possible but I think Pugh and Sweezey are your guards unless injury.But versatility is always a good thing and like you said ..Cole can play OG I think he did see a little action at OG at Michigan ..not sure.If Shipley is kept along with Gaillard,Cole,Max Garcia and Gilbert,Humphries,Cunningham,Miles that's 10 guys right there.That leaves Vujnovich,ObHiambo,Gossett,Holden all battling uphill.I think Gossett showed some potential last year and is worth keeping around.Injury can change everything though.
IMO
Golditch,House,Shelton,Evans,Cole,lauderdale,Weiss,Tucker all are longshots.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
D.J.Humphries
Korey Cunningham
Will Holden
Tariq Cole UDFA
Joshua Miles
all battling at OT

Justin Pugh
J.R.Sweezey FA signing
Colby Gossett
Jeremy Vujnovich
Rees Odhiambro
Casey Tucker UDFA
Max Garcia FA signing
Mason Cole
A.Q. Shipley

all battling inside

this list is scary to watch

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
D.J.Humphries
Korey Cunningham
Will Holden
Tariq Cole UDFA
Joshua Miles
all battling at OT

Justin Pugh
J.R.Sweezey FA signing
Colby Gossett
Jeremy Vujnovich
Rees Odhiambro
Casey Tucker UDFA
Max Garcia FA signing
Mason Cole
A.Q. Shipley

all battling inside

Looking at this list makes me shudder to some extent. No one on this list makes me go wow really solid player. Some are already slotting Shipley at C and just two seasons ago almost everyone wanted him gone. How did he get so much better after being on IR last year and a year older? Murray may be the best thing since sliced bread as the saying goes but it won't mean anything if he has Dlinemen crashing down on him 2 seconds after the snap. Pugh, Gilbert and Humphries have seen more time on IR than the field and the rest are just guys.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just want to see the #1 pick result in quality play immediately and for this new crop of receivers to actually catch footballs. If those things happen, we are good.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with cardpa. Not an impressive Oline on paper.

We have heard this many times before, but we have to hope the new Oline coach can make an improvement and bring out the best in this group. If he can't then this will be a difficult O to run with no time to develop plays

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I still do not get the prima donna nature of NFL quarterbacks. Why should a young QB, especially one like Rosen, not compete for a starting job and be willing to be a backup, if he can't win? Its that way in the college game. Its that way for every other position. Our depth at QB is horrible. I still think we would be better off having Murray AND Rosen on our roster than Murray and Isabella.

Hang awkwardness. Rosen got paid. He should not have any other entitlement. He never asked for any. Its just press people making up a story.

I would have loved that camp battle.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any chance Kugler had input on the o- line evaluation? We knew we weren’t take a o- lineman in the first round. Is it possible he watched some film on some of the college talent available believed what we had in house was better than what was out there in round two and beyond?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Any chance Kugler had input on the o- line evaluation? We knew we weren’t take a o- lineman in the first round. Is it possible he watched some film on some of the college talent available believed what we had in house was better than what was out there in round two and beyond?

Very good chance he did.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard