Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NBC's 'West Wing' Election Is Up for Grabs

Sat Feb 5, 2005
By Steve Gorman

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) -
It's shaping up as the biggest political battle ever portrayed on a U.S. television series, but the executive producer of "The West Wing" swears he has no idea whether a Democrat or Republican will be elected the show's next president.

John Wells insists that real-life politics has little bearing on the outcome of the fictional White House race now unfolding on the Emmy-winning NBC series between candidates played by former "M*A*S*H" star Alan Alda (the Republican) and "NYPD Blue" veteran Jimmy Smits (the Democrat).

Instead, Wells says the show's next occupant of the Oval Office, succeeding current star Martin Sheen, will be determined by which character the writers ultimately feel is the "most compelling" to the audience.

"I don't know yet," Wells told a recent gathering of TV critics. "We actually watch what's happening between the cast members, the issues that are being presented ... and try and follow what makes the most story sense, what's giving you the greatest amount of drama."

The show, now in its sixth year as President Josiah "Jed" Bartlet (Sheen) nears the end of his second term, is building to a season-ending climax with back-to-back episodes depicting the Republican and Democratic national conventions.

Producers plan to return in the fall with the election, followed by the inauguration of a new president -- Smits or Alda -- next winter. Sheen will stay on into next season, but his profile will diminish as Bartlet returns to private life.

NUANCED CHARACTERS

"We're hoping that by the time we get into the fall, that there will be a real question in the viewer's mind as to who would make the better president," Wells said. "They both have their strengths and weaknesses."

Indeed, neither Smits' nor Alda's character is a party ideologue. Both depict candidates who are politically moderate and disarmingly likable -- far more nuanced than the Republican challenger played by James Brolin, who was defeated by Bartlet's re-election in the show's fourth season.

Smits portrays a young congressman from Houston, Matthew Santos, who is reluctantly recruited to run by Bartlet loyalist Josh Lyman. Alda plays veteran California Sen. Arnold Vinick, who throws his hat into the ring after his wife dies.

Both characters are endowed with a manifest integrity and thoughtfulness widely seen as rare inside the Beltway -- on either side of the aisle -- in keeping with "The West Wing's" enduring appeal as a show about wish fulfillment.

The show hit the peak of its popularity in its third season, ranking No. 9 among all prime-time series with 17 million viewers a week. It currently averages 11.8 million viewers, dropping to 33rd. But it remains a marquee element on NBC's lineup, having won the Emmy as best drama four years in a row and boasting the highest concentration of upscale viewers in all of TV, a key selling point with advertisers.

Wells said viewers should not assume that the Democratic affiliation of the show's current administration -- and all of its central characters -- has preordained a victory for Smits. Nor should they think that the current conservative climate in Washington necessarily spells a TV mandate for Alda.

EVEN-HANDED DRAMA

He noted that while Republicans now control the White House and both houses of Congress, public opinion polls show Americans "are mostly in the middle" on key issues that divide the two major parties.

Likewise, Wells dismissed what he called misconception about the show -- that its audience is overwhelmingly Democratic and agrees with Bartlet's politics.

"That's actually not true, and I can prove it by our mail bag ever week," he said. "We have a very, very large Republican audience that loves to watch the show and throw things at the screen."

:lmao:

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Is anybody watching this season?
I really enjoy the way they are playing out the election campaigns, very good television.
Next week the two candidates, Alan Alda and Jimmy Smits will debate live, twice, once for east coast feeds and once for west coast feeds.
Should be interesting TV.

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
O said:
I really enjoy the way they are playing out the election campaigns, very good television.
Next week the two candidates, Alan Alda and Jimmy Smits will debate live, twice, once for east coast feeds and once for west coast feeds.
I missed tonight's episode but watched the previous ones. I liked the direction they went with the end of last season, but for some reason I feel luke warm about this season so far.

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WizardOfAz said:
Anybody catch it last night?
Can someone tell me why WizardOfAz was banned? I don't remember when this happened. I also don't remember him ever posting anything remotely controversial.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
O said:

:thumbup:

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Anyone watch the debate?

I thought it was pretty cool. :thumbup:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NBC Cancels 'West Wing' After 7 Seasons
Sunday January 22, 2005

The new president on "The West Wing" will be a real short-timer: NBC announced Sunday it was pulling the plug on the Emmy-winning political drama after seven seasons in May.

NBC, struggling to regain its footing after the worst season in its history, also outlined several midseason schedule changes including the moves of popular dramas "Law & Order" and "Las Vegas."

"The West Wing" announcement wasn't much of a surprise. Although this season's story line with a presidential campaign involving a Democrat played by Jimmy Smits and Republican portrayed by Alan Alda has been strong critically, ratings have sunk with its move to Sunday nights.

The decision to cancel it was made before actor John Spencer, who played former presidential chief of staff Leo McGarry, died of a heart attack Dec. 16, said Kevin Reilly, NBC entertainment president.

"There's a point when you look at the ratings and say, it feels like it's time," Reilly said.

The series finale will be May 14, preceded by a one-hour retrospective. The campaign to replace the fictional Josiah Bartlet as president will be settled, NBC said.

Producers Aaron Sorkin and Thomas Schlamme, who created the show and guided it through its early years, will not be involved in the finale, Reilly said.

"The West Wing" won four Emmy Awards for best television drama in a row for its tales of political intrigue. At its prime, it also offered NBC two valuable benefits: critical acclaim and the most upscale audience on television, an important drawing point for advertisers.

NBC's revamped schedule offered veteran "Law & Order" producer Dick Wolf good and bad news. NBC is putting Wolf's new drama "Conviction," about young prosecutors in New York, on Friday's schedule starting March 3. But it is moving "Law & Order" up an hour to Wednesdays at 9 p.m. ET competing directly with ABC's blockbuster "Lost."

NBC is also moving "Las Vegas" from Monday to Friday starting in March. Donald Trump is changing addresses again, with "The Apprentice" moving to Monday where it will be preceded by the Howie Mandel-hosted game show "Deal or No Deal."

The network has two more midseason shows: "Heist," a cops-and-robbers drama from the director of "Mr. & Mrs. Smith," and "Teachers," a comedy about a high school English teacher.

"The Office" will go off the air at the end of March so star Steve Carell can film a movie, Reilly said. He said he also hasn't figured out what to do with the ill-fated "Friends" spinoff "Joey," which has 12 new episodes done but no place on the schedule.

"NBC is stable and our vital signs are encouraging," Reilly said. "Most predictions were that we were going to go from bad to worse this year, and that hasn't happened."

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chandler Mike said:
I love the Danny character, and I was so pumped when they brought him back last year. He's great, adds a very cool side story to any show.
He was back last week with a marriage proposal for CJ that got interrupted by a situation before she answered.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nm132 said:
He was back last week with a marriage proposal for CJ that got interrupted by a situation before she answered.

Wow, you're kidding...that's cool!

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
"There's a point when you look at the ratings and say, it feels like it's time," Reilly said.

I agree that it is time, but that was just a fantastic show for the first few years. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
'West Wing' Alums to Return for Show's End

Wed Mar 01, 2006

A flock of alumni of NBC's "The West Wing" will return to reprise their roles one last time for the White House drama's final episodes, the network announced Tuesday.

Rob Lowe will come back as Sam Seaborn, the senior political official he played from 1999-2003. Lowe was nominated for an Emmy for his performance in 2001.

Mary-Louise Parker, who now stars on Showtime's "Weeds," will return as women's-rights advocate Amy Gardner, who in years past has had an on-again-off-again romance with presidential adviser Josh Lyman (Bradley Whitford).

Also bringing back their characters: Anna Deavere Smith, Emily Proctor, Marlee Matlin, Gary Cole, Tim Matheson, Timothy Busfield and Annabeth Gish.

"West Wing," starring Martin Sheen as President Jeb Bartlet, has five episodes remaining before going off the air for good after seven seasons. The program airs Sundays (8 p.m. EST).

This year's story line has featured a presidential race between candidates played by Alan Alda and Jimmy Smits. NBC promises that the election will be decided before the series disappears.

The show's alumni will appear on one or more of the final episodes, but not necessarily the finale, which will air May 14. Aaron Sorkin, who created the show in 1999 and served as executive producer until 2003, will not be returning to aid in the finale, NBC said.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I stopped watching this show a few years ago after Sorkin left, the writing and stories just got bad...

But now it's ending, and I realize how much I used to love this show, and the characters that were created. Watched last night and am going to tune in the rest of the season since it's the final one...

Bringing back all the old alums is pretty sweet...

Mike

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The last few episodes has been very, very, good television.
The episode where they found Leo's body actually choked me up a few times, that's not easy to do.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
O said:
The last few episodes has been very, very, good television.
The episode where they found Leo's body actually choked me up a few times, that's not easy to do.

I got a bit choked up last night too...

So much has happened...

Can you catch me up on the Donna and Josh situation? I see they slept together...

How did they find Leo's body?`

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Chandler Mike said:
I got a bit choked up last night too...

So much has happened...

Can you catch me up on the Donna and Josh situation? I see they slept together...

How did they find Leo's body?`

On the night of the election Leo's assistant, I can't think of her name the little blonde girl, went to wake him up from a nap and she found him unconscious on the floor. A few hours later he was declared dead.
Very gut wrenching, he was such a strong and beloved character. Like I said earlier, I choked up a few times. I can't remember the last time a TV show had that kind of effect on me and I'm pretty cold hearted. :D

As far as Donna and Josh; It just kind of happened in a spur of the moment thing, which turned into an awkward kind of Donna and Josh thing. Again handled very well.

The last few episodes have been very interesting as far as the campaigns go and I feel a pretty bi-partisan portryal. Extremely good television. IMHO.

I would be very, very surprised if this show did not receive a whole lot of Emmy nominations when that time of year rolls around.

Last edited:

Angel

Registered
Reaction score
Bye Bye Wing

You know how you go to a wedding and have a great time, and then at the end of the evening the deejay plays “Last Dance” by Donna Summer while everyone just kind of mingles around and looks for their coats as the lights come up? Well, you get the analogy. The finale of the West Wing was a bit anticlimactic. I can recall watching the pilot when it first aired and so many of the great moments of the last seven seasons are etched in my mind and by comparison nothing in the finale was equally memorable. The network had an obligation to do better than just let the Bartlett administrations go so gently into that good night.

They struck the proper tone for the finale, but none of it had a sense of closure. It’s over, but it doesn’t feel done. There were so many missed opportunities. Charlie’s farewell to the president was nice but not moving. The same with C.J. taking leaving the White House, the scene in the press room was solid, but the exchange with the tourists felt tacked on. And couldn’t we have seen what Bartlett wrote to in the note, or some the inaugural address? For one of the most verbose shows in history the final hour was quiet.

The only closure came from the Santos crew, who were just getting started on their presidential journey; Donna get her big office, Santos’ aide, realizing her guy is in the Oval Office, and Mr. and Mrs. Santos joking about their new lives were among the night’s highlights as was seeing Josh and Sam brief the new commander-in-chief.

Martin Sheen and Stockard Channing were terrific. While it was a little much to have the Bartletts actually fly off into the sunset, I had to agree with Abby, “You did a lot of good.” However, we all know what Bartlett’s final line should have been. Did anyone who has ever seen this show before not know that Mallory’s gift was The Napkin?

So as West Wing takes its place in TV history I for one think it would have been kind of cool to get to know President and Mrs. Santos.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Angel said:
However, we all know what Bartlett’s final line should have been.

"What's next?"?

Didn't Santos say that earlier in the episode?

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
krepitch said:
"What's next?"?

Didn't Santos say that earlier in the episode?

He said it at the end...not sure he said it during...

Good way to end the series...I enjoyed it.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I did not watch this show when it originally aired, but I watched all seven seasons over the last two years or so and I am very impressed. Definitely one of the best shows I've seen.

Reading through this thread I see some people gave up on this show midway through. I think season 5 was probably the weakest (did not know that Sorkin left at that time) but the last two seasons with the Santos/Vinick campaigns were great.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I still can't believe this show isn't on as repeats. :(

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am midway through season three. Do they ever give anymore story lines to Rob Lowe's character? He is MUCH more interesting than whiny C.J. Cregg. It is almost sexist emotional how she gets.

If they don't give Sam Seaborn more, I can understand Lowe's concerns. I think.