West Wing

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For those who watch West Wing, a question. Matthew Perry has a role now on the show. I am curious if anyone else thinks this was set up as a port-Friends TV gig since the cast of Friends were supposedly riding off into the sunset. I mean there have been other recurring roles but none by actors who had regular shows...and a regular show that was about to end at one point.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think it means anything, since I believe Friends is coming back next year.

West Wing does a lot of these story arcs with actors who are in the show for 3-4 episodes...Christian Slater, Mark Harmon, Matthew Perry.

However, whatever the reason, I love him on this show, I think he adds a nice element and I really enjoyed tonight's episode.

Mike

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chandler Mike
I don't think it means anything, since I believe Friends is coming back next year.

West Wing does a lot of these story arcs with actors who are in the show for 3-4 episodes...Christian Slater, Mark Harmon, Matthew Perry.

However, whatever the reason, I love him on this show, I think he adds a nice element and I really enjoyed tonight's episode.

Mike

I really enjoyed it as well (series is fantastic). My wife and I were discussing the Perry issue and we knew they have recurring roles and that but we wondered if Perry was cast as the lawyer before the Friends cast renewed for one more year since as early as December (?) this was still going to be the final year.

In an event, I hope he stays around. I like his acting in this role and enjoy the addition of a Rep attitude to the show to play off of the Dem White House...kind of like I enjoyed Ainsley hayes for the same reason...and another reason :D

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by AZCB34
In an event, I hope he stays around. I like his acting in this role and enjoy the addition of a Rep attitude to the show to play off of the Dem White House...kind of like I enjoyed Ainsley hayes for the same reason...and another reason :D

I agree, I'd love to see him stick around for next season too, but I wonder if they can afford to pay that many stars.

It was cool that in the first one he was in, he didn't really act like "Chandler" by being funny and all, he was just serious and had a dry humor which was much different.

Then last night, they kind of brought some of his normal humor into the show...it was great, he's definitely one of my favorite actors.

Mike

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Then last night, they kind of brought some of his normal humor into the show...it was great, he's definitely one of my favorite actors.

Mike

But last night's humor was still very unChandlerlike which is cool. But they did let him join in the comical side of the show which was nice. Got another question for you.

After Josh/Joe/CJ/Toby left the VPs office after confronting him on the affair, Josh said to Joe "I hope I didn't see you smile in there." I assume that was in reference to him being a Rep and seeing a Dem VP get taken down? My initial reaction was it was in with the history Josh and the VP had together but the more I thought about it I figured it was a political party thing.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by WizardOfAz
But was he this good:

Maybe, but Poppy from Without A Trace would top both of them :)

Mike

Attachments

• cast_ellie.jpg
    cast_ellie.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 162

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After Josh/Joe/CJ/Toby left the VPs office after confronting him on the affair, Josh said to Joe "I hope I didn't see you smile in there." I assume that was in reference to him being a Rep and seeing a Dem VP get taken down? My initial reaction was it was in with the history Josh and the VP had together but the more I thought about it I figured it was a political party thing.

Yeah, it had to be a Dem v Rep thing...I saw no other reason, and Josh isn't really a jerk like that.

Good episode, had me glued to the TV.

Mike

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, it had to be a Dem v Rep thing...I saw no other reason, and Josh isn't really a jerk like that.

Good episode, had me glued to the TV.

Mike

Little concerned about this kidnapping next week. Last thing I want is for this series to start wandering into wierd crap. Er kind of did that and lost me from the early days. Let's try and keep this thing real.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Little concerned about this kidnapping next week. Last thing I want is for this series to start wandering into wierd crap. Er kind of did that and lost me from the early days. Let's try and keep this thing real.

Yeah, my wife saw that...looks like they are starting to go to these extreme episodes...kidnapping looks weird.

The show is good without having to start going crazy.

Mike

WizardOfAz

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Here's is the promo from NBC's page:

COMMENCEMENT

9pm 2003-05-07 ALL NEW!

With the country at a heightened state of alert because suspected terrorists have disappeared, the President (Martin Sheen) wrestles with what message to give his youngest daughter Zoey's (guest star Elisabeth Moss) graduating class at Georgetown. As C.J. (Allison Janney) has to stop Danny (Timothy Busfield) from filing a story, Charlie (Dule Hill) decides whether to follow through a romantic promise he made to Zoey when they were dating. Taye Diggs ("Chicago," "How Stella Got Her Groove Back") guest stars as the new head of Zoey's secret service detail. TV-PG.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
West Wing 5/7 spoilers!

Wizard, saw your post on the other thread, wanted to start this new one.

HOLY CRAP!

The last 10 minutes of this week's episode was almost more tense than an hour of 24. The beat in the background, Zoey being kidnapped...all SUPERBLY done in my opinion...

Yeah, it's a little much, but this is the season finale part 1, so of course it's going to be huge.

Can't wait to see next week, man.

Mike

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, my wife saw that...looks like they are starting to go to these extreme episodes...kidnapping looks weird.

The show is good without having to start going crazy.

The show's ratings have been down a lot lately so they are going in a different direction.

The guy, or guys, in control from the start have left and someone new has been brought in.

Look for more and more outlandish plots to try and gain a bigger audience.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Brian in Mesa
The show's ratings have been down a lot lately so they are going in a different direction.

The guy, or guys, in control from the start have left and someone new has been brought in.

Look for more and more outlandish plots to try and gain a bigger audience.

Aaron Sorkin is still there though, writing, so as long as he remains, it will still be good.

Mike

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
'West Wing' creator Sorkin leaving series
Associated Press
May. 1, 2003 03:15 PM

LOS ANGELES -
Aaron Sorkin, creator of the Emmy-winning White House drama "The West Wing," is leaving the series after this season, he said Thursday.

Sorkin, who was involved in writing most of the scripts for the NBC series, also served as executive producer. Thomas Schlamme, another executive producer and the principal director, also is leaving.

The show will continue with John Wells, the series' other executive producer, in charge. Wells also produces NBC's "ER" and "Third Watch."

There had been reports of tension between Sorkin and the studio that produces the show, Warner Bros. Television. He reportedly had been cautioned about budgets and production delays.

"This has been the experience of any writer's dreams," Sorkin said in a statement. "I had the best job in show business for four years and I'll never forget that."

Schlamme and Sorkin said they will pursue other film, television and theater projects. They will remain "the two biggest fans of 'The West Wing,' " according to their statement.

Their work was lauded by the studio and NBC.

"Aaron Sorkin and Tommy Schlamme have done an extraordinary job in their four years at the helm of 'The West Wing,' " said NBC entertainment chief Jeff Zucker and Warner Bros. Television President Peter Roth.

"The West Wing" won its third consecutive best drama trophy at last year's Emmy Awards. Sorkin has won an Emmy for writing for the series, while Schlamme has won two Emmys for directing.

The drama, which last season was the 10th-ranked prime time program, has fallen in the ratings and is No. 23 as the current season nears its end. Competition from ABC's reality series "The Bachelor" and "The Bachelorette" helped siphon off viewers, especially the younger ones favored by advertisers.

In an odd bit of timing, the departures of Sorkin and Schlamme were not the only ones announced this week for "The West Wing." On the episode that aired Wednesday, the vice president (Tim Matheson) decided to resign after it was revealed he had leaked classified information to a lover.

Sorkin, 41, went through difficult personal times during his work on "The West Wing," which stars Martin Sheen as fictional President Josiah Bartlet. In 2001, Sorkin was arrested for possession of cocaine and hallucinogenic mushrooms and ordered to enter a drug treatment program. The charges were dismissed after he completed the program.

Wells, whose production company, John Wells Productions, co-produces "The West Wing" with Warner Bros. Television, has been asked by Warner to take a "more active role" next season, the studio said.

"Aaron Sorkin and Tommy Schlamme are irreplaceable," Wells said in a statement. "... They will be sorely missed."

A team of writers, directors and producers has been assembled to help in the transition, he said.

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Anyone still watching West Wing?

Just watched the season premiere last night. While I am not totally into the storyline right now, I like John Goodman's character.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heck yes I do, it was awesome...still, you could tell Sorkin wasn't writing anymore, had something different to it.

Mike

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Heck yes I do, it was awesome...still, you could tell Sorkin wasn't writing anymore, had something different to it.

Mike

I love the Republican fill-in guys vs the established Dem office holders dynamic right now. It is quite interesting to watch how they react.

Couple of wishes:

I wish Danny Kincannon (sp?) would have a slightly larger role. I think Busey does a great job.

***Spoiler***

I wish this Zoe kidnap storyline had been resolved in the first episode...although they wouldn't have been able develop the R v D dynamic as much.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love the Danny character, and I was so pumped when they brought him back last year. He's great, adds a very cool side story to any show.

I also liked Mathew Perry last season, but there is no way he'd stay of course.

I really liked the way Goodman stood up for the assassination of that guy...was pretty big of the Republicans not to take advantage of their position.

It's a good show, I hope the Zoe thing ends next week.

Mike

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I love the Danny character, and I was so pumped when they brought him back last year. He's great, adds a very cool side story to any show.

I also liked Mathew Perry last season, but there is no way he'd stay of course.

I really liked the way Goodman stood up for the assassination of that guy...was pretty big of the Republicans not to take advantage of their position.

It's a good show, I hope the Zoe thing ends next week.

Mike

Perry was excellent and I thought maybe they were paving the way for him to make to move to WW after Friends. I also wished the John Laroquette character from a season ago or so had been more regular...he was Chief Counsel...Ainsley Hayes worked for him when she first landed the job.

I agree with your earlier thought that there was a real sense Sorkin wasn't writing anymore. I noticed the change at the end of last year a little but it was a bit more pronounced Wednesday.