Welcome Cam Johnson

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
There is one thing that I like about this pick and that is that it showed that Jones has the stones to go with his guy even if that guy would be seen as a reach by pretty much everyone. Maybe it will blow up in his face or maybe he will look like a boss a couple years from now, but I do like that he had the stones to pull the trigger.

I read a post elsewhere that really resonated with me and it asked the question of how up in arms everyone would have been if we had drafted Giannis or Gobert instead of Len back in that draft? Pundits and fans alike would have been cursing the front office for those moves, but it would have looked absolutely genius years later. Not saying that Johnson will be on the level of those guys (I mean he was considered a big reach as the 11th pick in a weak draft), but it is certainly possible that he has a better career than most of the other guys that we passed on.

Last edited:

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
There is one thing that I like about this pick and that is that it showed that Jones has the stones to go with his guy even if that guy would be seen as a reach by pretty much everyone. Maybe it will blow up in his face or maybe he will look like a boss a couple years from now, but I do like that he had the stones to pull the trigger.

I read a post elsewhere that really resonated with me and it asked the question of how up in arms everyone would have been if we had drafted Giannis or Gobert instead of Len back in that draft? Pundits and fans alike would have been cursing the front office for those moves, but it would have looked absolutely genius years later. Not saying that Johnson will be on the level of those guys (I mean he was the 11th pick in a weak draft), but it is certainly possible that he has a better career than most of the other guys that we passed on.

Absolutely. I hope I eat crow on this. With that said, fans have a right at this moment in time to be pissed off at this organization. It certainly looks like a huge reach at this point.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Absolutely. I hope I eat crow on this. With that said, fans have a right at this moment in time to be pissed off at this organization. It certainly looks like a huge reach at this point.
They have the right, but in my opinion it is kind of pointless. Nobody actually knows how these moves are going to play out in the long run and because of that it seems like a waste of energy to me to let yourself be legitimately upset about it.

I have also seen comments questioning the direction of the team, but I think that is quite obvious. They want guys that can shoot, have high BBIQ and have high character. They are also trying to add some age to this roster and not have to rely on 19-20 year old players for a change. Before this off season Jones said he wanted to add multiple veterans and get older as a team and right now we are on track for that.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

I read a post elsewhere that really resonated with me and it asked the question of how up in arms everyone would have been if we had drafted Giannis or Gobert instead of Len back in that draft? Pundits and fans alike would have been cursing the front office for those moves, but it would have looked absolutely genius years later. Not saying that Johnson will be on the level of those guys (I mean he was the 11th pick in a weak draft), but it is certainly possible that he has a better career than most of the other guys that we passed on.
If Johnson ends up as good as Giannis, then James Jones gets a statue in front of the arena. :D

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I don't know what's worse reaching for this guy at #11 or having the pick besmirched by a guy that literally looks like he just jumped out of a clown car.

You must be registered for see images attach

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

I read a post elsewhere that really resonated with me and it asked the question of how up in arms everyone would have been if we had drafted Giannis or Gobert instead of Len back in that draft? Pundits and fans alike would have been cursing the front office for those moves, but it would have looked absolutely genius years later. Not saying that Johnson will be on the level of those guys (I mean he was considered a big reach as the 11th pick in a weak draft), but it is certainly possible that he has a better career than most of the other guys that we passed on.

Do you really think this is solely Jones' guy?

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Do you really think this is solely Jones' guy?

Supposedly, the word is that Jeff Bower is the one who was infatuated with Johnson, going way back. And going on Bower's history of personnel decisions, it's even more difficult not to have a critical opinion of the choice.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I still stand by my first thought. I like the pick, Suns didn't need a 19 year old kid. After JJ and Chriss I know I'm over that show. I know they would have taken any of the top 4 picks but that was not in the cards.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Supposedly, the word is that Jeff Bower is the one who was infatuated with Johnson, going way back. And going on Bower's history of personnel decisions, it's even more difficult not to have a critical opinion of the choice.

Yep, that's what I read too. Even if Jones comes out and says he was fully on board I won't believe it.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I still stand by my first thought. I like the pick, Suns didn't need a 19 year old kid. After JJ and Chriss I know I'm over that show. I know they would have taken any of the top 4 picks but that was not in the cards.

The only reason he didn't get drafted until he was 23 years old is that he wasn't good enough to get drafted at 19 or 20 or 21 or 22.......

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
They have the right, but in my opinion it is kind of pointless. Nobody actually knows how these moves are going to play out in the long run and because of that it seems like a waste of energy to me to let yourself be legitimately upset about it.
Eh, by your logic no one should get excited about anyone drafted either. Neither of those concepts are realistic.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't know what's worse reaching for this guy at #11 or having the pick besmirched by a guy that literally looks like he just jumped out of a clown car.

You must be registered for see images attach
He wasn’t besmirching. He was a teammate of cam Johnson’s. I think he was surprised but more excited for his boy.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yep, that's what I read too. Even if Jones comes out and says he was fully on board I won't believe it.
But he’s still the gm and buck stops with him. Ugh I see all this talk as the James jones apologist warmups.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
He wasn’t besmirching. He was a teammate of cam Johnson’s. I think he was surprised but more excited for his boy.

OK, maybe not besmirch but he was definitely as shocked as everyone else that his teammate was drafted that high. And he knows him and his game better than anybody.

It's like when your uncoordinated little brother comes home from school and tells you he won a medal at field day.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
But he’s still the gm and buck stops with him. Ugh I see all this talk as the James jones apologist warmups.

There is a difference between being an apologist for someone and being reasonable and waiting for the full picture to emerge. It is literally impossible to say that he is good or that he sucks right now. I think he did a great job getting Oubre and Johnson, and I thought he was smart to let the season play out instead of panicking.

I like the Boston and Minni trades yesterday and what they got in return. I initially liked the Warren trade, but we have to wait and see what he does with cap space. I like the second round pick, but I don't understand the first one, but I'll wait to see this kid play before I decide it was a terrible move. I did turn the TV off when they passed on Clarke to draft Cam, though.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Eh, by your logic no one should get excited about anyone drafted either. Neither of those concepts are realistic.
No because optimism and excitement aren't negative emotions. It is draining to be overly upset about things that you can't be certain about. If you want to allow yourself to be upset like that than that is your prerogative, but I try to stay away from that myself.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There is a difference between being an apologist for someone and being reasonable and waiting for the full picture to emerge. It is literally impossible to say that he is good or that he sucks right now. I think he did a great job getting Oubre and Johnson, and I thought he was smart to let the season play out instead of panicking.
I like the Boston and Minni trades yesterday and what they got in return. I initially liked the Warren trade, but we have to wait and see what he does with cap space. I like the second round pick, but I don't understand the first one, but I'll wait to see this kid play before I decide it was a terrible move. I did turn the TV off when they passed on Clarke to draft Cam, though.

What did you like about the Warren trade? Any time I see a trade made by us for cash considerations, it reopens a long standing wound. Attaching a draft pick to Warren rubbed salt in it.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
What did you like about the Warren trade?

If they knew they were gonna use the pick on giant reach like Cam they could have traded down more and probably got a better pick player than Saric.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave