Week 1 Cardinals Vs. Lions Storylines

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
1. Carson Palmer vs. Matthew Stafford. Battle of #1 picks.

Back on October 11, 2015, the last time the Cardinals played the Lions, it was in Detroit and the Cardinals won 42-17.

Palmer: 11/14/161/3-0 td-int/2 sacks/93.0 qbr
Stafford: 20/32/188/1-3 td-int/1 sack/42.2

Stafford was benched in the second half and Dan Orlovski went 21/38/191/1-1 td-int/63.0 qbr

The Lions out gained the Cardinals 435-345 and had 29 1st downs to the Cardinals' 15.

2. David Johnson vs. Ameer Abdullah. Will Abdullah be highly motivated to remind Steve Keim why he was the Cardinals' first choice in the 2nd round of the 2015 draft (as documented on All or Nothing)?

In the 10/11/15 game Johnson rushed 3/6/2 TDs, Abdullah rushed 6/16/0 TDs, 2 fumbles, 1 lost.

3. Andre Ellington vs. Theo Riddick. Scat backs who played well on 10/11/15.

Ellington: 3/36/21.0 ypc/1 TD (rushing)
Riddick: 10/53/1 TD (receiving)

4. Haason Reddick vs. Jarrad Davis. Battle of 2017 1st round picks. Reddick #13, Davis #21.

Both players are starting and both have shown flashes of impressive range and athleticism.

5. Larry Fitzgerald vs. Darius Slay. The Cardinals' go-to WR versus the Lions' shutdown CB.

Slay combatted Fitzgerald hard the last time they played. Fitzgerald was targeted 7 times and caught 5/58/11.6/1 TD. Slay had 2 tackles and 1 pass defended. The two engaged in talks throughout the game, with Fitzgerald advising Slay of how he knew what coverage they were in --- and advising Slay to hit high, not low. Slay called Fitzgerald the consummate professional and said he appreciated the advice.

6. John Brown vs. Golden Tate. Speedy WRs square off.

On 10/11/15, Brown was targeted 4 times and caught 4/73/18.3/1 TD. Tate was targeted 18 times and caught 8/74/9.3/0 TD.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
we should win this game.

I know it sounds like homerism,...and maybe it is... but it is arguable we have a solid chance of going into the bye at 8-0...
the toughest game in that stretch is the cowpukes in week 3... but it is a monday,...it's our home opener,...and the boys will be short zeke
after that is niners, eagles, bucs, rams, and niners again....
weel 2 we get the colts with a qb that couldnt even string together a decent series in pre season.

not sure I like the home game against the hags after the bye.... its a thursday game so we will have been sitting nearly two weeks...plenty of time to plan but also plenty of time to get rusty. The bright side is, we normally play badly against the hags at home anyway

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Preseason I have learned has never showed me anything for the most part on the actual quality of a team, though last season really did interject a 'big what if' with the way the team was putting out no effort and that carried forth. So, going off recent Cardinal history, this is what I think happens in the Lion game, we win. We don't knock their doors off but the game never seems in doubt, because that is what the Cardinals do in regular season, we beat the Lions. Then we go on the road to play a Indy team which might not have Luck, we lose. Road game, back ups, early season after a win, the Colts win. Then we go home to play the Cowboys at home, we win. The Packers of late cannot beat us in the playoffs and Dallas seems unable to beat us anywhere. It will be strange, come down to the wire crap but the Cardinals win. Three games... Zona is at 2-1 with the Niners then showing us if this is a playoff Cardinal team by beating someone they should :)

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I see us winning in the range of 24-17/24-21. The key is Detroit's defense which is mediocre at best. The other key is keeping Stafford off the field. With DJ we now have the ball control offense we've craved for years.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Back on October 11, 2015, the last time the Cardinals played the Lions, it was in Detroit and the Cardinals won 42-17.

I was there with @Iceman. It was a fun game. It seemed like the 2 of us were the only ones cheering. Blue was everywhere. It was crazy to see. Not used to seeing very little opposing team fans in a stadium.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That's because no one moves TO Detroit.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
These feel like two teams just stuck in the NFL's No Man's Land.

How many teams honestly sit in the same spot, however? 25? How many do you KNOW don't have a shot. A handful. Fandom may or may not move the needle a bit on what reality is, but really, its STILL any given Sunday. Only reason I still watch.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
How many teams honestly sit in the same spot, however? 25? How many do you KNOW don't have a shot. A handful. Fandom may or may not move the needle a bit on what reality is, but really, its STILL any given Sunday. Only reason I still watch.

Clear Super Bowl Contenders (9): New England, Seattle, Pittsburgh, Dallas, Atlanta, Oakland, Green Bay, Denver, Kansas City

No Chance Whatsoever (6): New York Jets, Buffalo, Jacksonville, Chicago, San Francisco, Cleveland,

So 17 teams are in between those two categories. I think the question/problem is that Arizona and the Chargers have a big fat "down" arrow hanging over them because we're so old at key positions, while teams like Houston, Tennessee, and Philly are younger and seemingly have the capacity to get better.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clear Super Bowl Contenders (9): New England, Seattle, Pittsburgh, Dallas, Atlanta, Oakland, Green Bay, Denver, Kansas City

No Chance Whatsoever (6): New York Jets, Buffalo, Jacksonville, Chicago, San Francisco, Cleveland,

So 17 teams are in between those two categories. I think the question/problem is that Arizona and the Chargers have a big fat "down" arrow hanging over them because we're so old at key positions, while teams like Houston, Tennessee, and Philly are younger and seemingly have the capacity to get better.

Only quibble I'd have here is putting the Broncos in that Super category. Even with the best D in the league they got squat at QB and it's not like they have a devastating rushing game.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Only quibble I'd have here is putting the Broncos in that Super category. Even with the best D in the league they got squat at QB and it's not like they have a devastating rushing game.
And I'm not even sure they will have a top D anymore. They have a good secondary(was great before TJ Ward departed) & the great Von Miller, but the the rest of their top OLBs either retired or currently injured. They had a bad run D last season & I don't think they solved that problem over the offseason. A worse O will make them(defense) stay on the field longer.

I'd take KC & OAK off too cause the checkdown boy Alex Smith isn't leading them anywhere & OAK's D is atrocious outside of Mack. I think Dallas' D will suffer, too.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Any road gm is hard to win.... hoping palmer plays well and brandon williams does atleast ok fingers crossed.

And lookin forward to seeing how our lb core does reddick, jones, and dansby.

Play hard cards 2 not so easy gm to start the season.

Even though colts wont have luck we all know what backup qbs can do against the cards sometimes.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score

I still don't understand the GB hype neither.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And I'm not even sure they will have a top D anymore. They have a good secondary(was great before TJ Ward departed) & the great Von Miller, but the the rest of their top OLBs either retired or currently injured. They had a bad run D last season & I don't think they solved that problem over the offseason. A worse O will make them(defense) stay on the field longer.

I'd take KC & OAK off too cause the checkdown boy Alex Smith isn't leading them anywhere & OAK's D is atrocious outside of Mack. I think Dallas' D will suffer, too.
So it seems that Alex Smith has turned into Joe Montana over the offseason.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard