We lost today because we were unable to sign a competent kicker

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was everything. Keim's idiotic decision-making, Kliff's poor coaching, and Kyler not performing up to the contract he whined for and signed.
Yup.

It’s just a void of leadership at every key level of the franchise… GM, Coach and QB. All are completely uninspiring.

Last edited:

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
I was hoping we would sign Rodrigo Blankenship. Granted, he missed pretty much the same kick in crunch time week 1 that was part of why he got cut, but he was the only kicker we worked out who had any actual NFL success.

Mark22

VBhoopcoach
Reaction score
Or maybe he gets the first down, clocks the ball, takes a few shots at the end zone, and we win without having to rely on our street FA kicker.

Twice this season he's refused contact and played scared in hurryup offenses, and this has hurt his team's chances. There's no defending that. It's a bad look trying to defend that.

In that situation, I absolutely, positively want my QB risking contact. How can you not?
Or maybe he gets sacked on one of those “shots” at the end zone and the game is over. Maybes, ifs, buts. Didn’t like the slide. But big picture, would have been a FG attempt regardless.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Or maybe he gets sacked on one of those “shots” at the end zone and the game is over. Maybes, ifs, buts. Didn’t like the slide. But big picture, would have been a FG attempt regardless.
You speculate that "maybe" a bad thing would happen if he made the smart, brave play, but give the team no chance at scoring a TD if he makes the smart, brave play. Not even a maybe? We couldn't have possibly taken a shot or two at the TD? @Mark22 getting the first down there would have been a positive, no matter how you try to spin it here.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Maybe, maybe, we could've gotten into the end zone.
Nah, Kliff said they would have run the ball in any case. Throwing it would have too many negative possibilities. So, a FG was inevitable
You speculate that "maybe" a bad thing would happen if he made the smart, brave play, but give the team no chance at scoring a TD if he makes the smart, brave play. Not even a maybe? We couldn't have possibly taken a shot or two at the TD? @Mark22 getting the first down there would have been a positive, no matter how you try to spin it here.
Playing for the tie. Kliff said so.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nah, Kliff said they would have run the ball in any case. Throwing it would have too many negative possibilities. So, a FG was inevitable

Playing for the tie. Kliff said so.
This is sad

When they showed the pregame kicks he was missing wide right

What makes KK think he's going to nail a game clinching FG after seeing that?

Smart thing was to try for a TD

Weak excuse

KK has balls in weird situations, but when we need him too he fails

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Kicking a FG should have been the last resort and only after trying first to get into the end zone. All kickers miss kicks. Prater could have missed it. Kyler could have extended the drive but chose instead to slide before the first down. No excuse for that. None.

Do you actually think that KM deliberately went down before the first down marker, or did he believe he had reached it?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here's the problem everyone is missing.

There is only 1 "competent kicker" on the market in Blankenship.

Blankenship ain't flying across to country onto someone's 53 for 1 game as a placeholder.

He knows the first kicker that goes on IR he's the call and doesn't want to be wasting his time on someone's 53 for a week.

The only one week rentals you're getting are try hards like Amendola.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
a little something for everyone in that last two minutes:

for K1: you gotta get that 1st down. I am sure he thought he did, but the whole "the ball is spotted where the slide starts" rule that has been around as long as he has been in the league -- means you have to shoot for a good 1.5 yards beyond the line to gain. Bad situational awareness for a 4th year QB.

for Kliff: sure, it may have looked like he got the first down -- but you have to wait till they set the sticks before you call to spike it or run a play. Again -- you have to know the slide rule makes the spot a total judgment call when its close.

for Keim: you signed a kicker whose rep is super sketchy beyond 40 yards, and who failed repeatedly two weeks prior in game action. I dont care if Jeff Rodgers signed off on it -- you dont even bring him in.

as an aside: I dont get the rule where an injury costs you a time out even when the clock is stopped.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

for K1: you gotta get that 1st down. I am sure he thought he did, but the whole "the ball is spotted where the slide starts" rule that has been around as long as he has been in the league -- means you have to shoot for a good 1.5 yards beyond the line to gain. Bad situational awareness for a 4th year QB.

for Kliff: sure, it may have looked like he got the first down -- but you have to wait till they set the sticks before you call to spike it or run a play. Again -- you have to know the slide rule makes the spot a total judgment call when its close.

for Keim: you signed a kicker whose rep is super sketchy beyond 40 yards, and who failed repeatedly two weeks prior in game action. I dont care if Jeff Rodgers signed off on it -- you dont even bring him in.

as an aside: I dont get the rule where an injury costs you a time out even when the clock is stopped.
Such a bad rule imo.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When u have to chose a kicker more then the leg strenght u need someone with a strong mindset, Ammendola was pissing his pants yesterday looked terrified, i don't know if the tryout was just about kicking but i guess Keim is not smart enough to evaluate the psychological side of a player,, especially for a key role like a kicker
Probably eno Benjamin would have had more chances for a successful attempt, cause he would have kicked the ball with less pressure

Last edited:

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Do you actually think that KM deliberately went down before the first down marker, or did he believe he had reached it?
I think in that situation Kyler just doesnt need to slide at all. Just dive but try to avoid contact doing so.

This is the NFL. A half second is the difference between ending up like Tua. Especially if the DB dove for his head. However, Kyler is athletic enough to protect himself and still get the first by diving to his right away from contact.

Underrated aspect though is if Ertz blocks his guy then Kyler probably slides 2 yards after getting the 1st.

Just tough.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

The clock is running, right?

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
I thought the rule for injured player was only during a running clock. Since it was an incomplete the clock was stopped I didn't realize that they take that last time out. I get the rules so people can't fake injury.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
The clock is running, right?
Thompson was hurt on an incomplete pass and the clock stopped. For a moment, it saved the Cardinals last timeout

but since he couldnt get off the field on his own, the Cards were assessed a timeout.

that was a pretty large development.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Thompson was hurt on an incomplete pass and the clock stopped. For a moment, it saved the Cardinals last timeout

but since he couldnt get off the field on his own, the Cards were assessed a timeout.

that was a pretty large development.

Yes, but I was saying that the clock was running after KM's run and before the spike.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Or maybe he gets the first down, clocks the ball, takes a few shots at the end zone, and we win without having to rely on our street FA kicker.

Twice this season he's refused contact and played scared in hurryup offenses, and this has hurt his team's chances. There's no defending that. It's a bad look trying to defend that.

In that situation, I absolutely, positively want my QB risking contact. How can you not?
Simple why risk the whole season on a yard when you have no timeouts and 3 defenders ready to light you up? Business decision period live to fight another day and the damn kicker should have made it! You had no time outs and everyone knew it he thought he had the first slide quick so next play can be ran. You know they would tackle him then lay on him and try to burn the freaking clock anyway so what’s the benefit, I mean besides you getting to rail on him for being a bitch in your eyes?

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Smart brave play lol….

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here's the problem everyone is missing.

There is only 1 "competent kicker" on the market in Blankenship.

Blankenship ain't flying across to country onto someone's 53 for 1 game as a placeholder.

He knows the first kicker that goes on IR he's the call and doesn't want to be wasting his time on someone's 53 for a week.

The only one week rentals you're getting are try hards like Amendola.
Then why did he take part in the tryout? Makes no sense.