We lost today because we were unable to sign a competent kicker

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Here's the problem everyone is missing.

There is only 1 "competent kicker" on the market in Blankenship.

Blankenship ain't flying across to country onto someone's 53 for 1 game as a placeholder.

He knows the first kicker that goes on IR he's the call and doesn't want to be wasting his time on someone's 53 for a week.

The only one week rentals you're getting are try hards like Amendola.
I call bs

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nope, 10 more yards that kicked would’ve sneaked inside the upright.
Honestly doesn’t matter even if he lucked out and made the kick we go to OT. Then Philly drives it down our throat again or we get lucky enough to have another FG and he’s definitely choking if he had to do it twice that dude is trash kicker! Should have been playing aggressively for the win not a tie!

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Then why did he take part in the tryout? Makes no sense.

Because at that point neither the Cards or Blankenship had any idea how badly Prater was hurt and how long he would be out.

He worked out on the chance Prater might be done for some time, when it turned out it was just a game or two he would have said "no thanks".

Seriously, do people think the Cards didn't try to sign Blankenship with his 20+ starts over Ammendola?

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Because at that point neither the Cards or Blankenship had any idea how badly Prater was hurt and how long he would be out.

He worked out on the chance Prater might be done for some time, when it turned out it was just a game or two he would have said "no thanks".

Seriously, do people think the Cards didn't try to sign Blankenship with his 20+ starts over Ammendola?

This is all conjecture.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is all conjecture.

As is yours. The difference is that mine is based on sound logic.

Not the unfathomable idea that Keim just decided to sign the guy the Chiefs kicked out when he could have had Blankenship.

There is a reason multiple teams have signed placeholders at kicker recently, including the Chiefs and Eagles, and none of them signed him.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
As is yours. The difference is that mine is based on sound logic.

Not the unfathomable idea that Keim just decided to sign the guy the Chiefs kicked out when he could have had Blankenship.

There is a reason multiple teams have signed placeholders at kicker recently, including the Chiefs and Eagles, and none of them signed him.
Sound logic?

C'mon now.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sound logic?

C'mon now.

Well why has nobody else signed Blankenship? Why not the Chiefs or Eagles who are both contenders and attractive for any player?

If you were the premium available kicker on the market would you go kick somewhere just for 1 week with a new holder and kicker you have barely practiced with and risk your chances of signing on to be a starter?

Would you want to be on someone's 53 for just a week or 2 when a kicked goes on IR elsewhere and risk missing that opportunity?

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Well why has nobody else signed Blankenship? Why not the Chiefs or Eagles who are both contenders and attractive for any player?

If you were the premium available kicker on the market would you go kick somewhere just for 1 week with a new holder and kicker you have barely practiced with and risk your chances of signing on to be a starter?

Would you want to be on someone's 53 for just a week or 2 when a kicked goes on IR elsewhere and risk missing that opportunity?
Chiefs have already gone 4+ weeks without their starter.

Rarely do kickers land on ir/out for the year, so he's passing up a paycheck for the off chance it could happen? There's been a crazy amount of injuries to kickers this year at the same time.

Maybe his injury still lingers. He did mess up kick offs, which is a big no no, as well as a shanked miss this year. Easily could just be that he doesn't look good right now.

With how he ended with Colts, he should be vying for any opportunity to redeem himself.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chiefs have already gone 4+ weeks without their starter.

Rarely do kickers land on ir/out for the year, so he's passing up a paycheck for the off chance it could happen? There's been a crazy amount of injuries to kickers this year at the same time.

Maybe his injury still lingers. He did mess up kick offs, which is a big no no, as well as a shanked miss this year. Easily could just be that he doesn't look good right now.

With how he ended with Colts, he should be vying for any opportunity to redeem himself.

But he isn't. Either for the reason's I stated or some other reason. So he was never am option.

So the options for the Cards were sign this guy that has actually kicked in the league, or one of these other guys that hasn't. And having tried them out they thought Ammendola was best.

So let's stop pretending there was some better option that Keim didn't sign.

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
When u have to chose a kicker more then the leg strenght u need someone with a strong mindset, Ammendola was pissing his pants yesterday looked terrified, i don't know if the tryout was just about kicking but i guess Keim is not smart enough to evaluate the psychological side of a player,, especially for a key role like a kicker
Probably eno Benjamin would have had more chances for a successful attempt, cause he would have kicked the ball with less pressure
I think he never has been, given all the busted elite-measurement-but-mental-midget/stupid players he drafted.

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

In Keim we trust.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope, 10 more yards that kicked would’ve sneaked inside the upright.
Maybe.

And that assumes we would have gotten 10 more yards. Just as likely that if he had gotten one more yard for the first, a shot at the sideline for a few yards, a shot at the end zone then attempt a 40 yarder no good

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
But he isn't. Either for the reason's I stated or some other reason. So he was never am option.

So the options for the Cards were sign this guy that has actually kicked in the league, or one of these other guys that hasn't. And having tried them out they thought Ammendola was best.

So let's stop pretending there was some better option that Keim didn't sign.

Yes, let's end the speculation since it can be debated till the end of time since none of us know. Ammendola did completely fail in game a couple weeks ago so Keim knew exactly what he was getting.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

What? You are really stretching it to make your point.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I know this is about a placekicker, but I'm sure that there are many who post here that go back to the St. Louis Cardinals days. While I know that it's in the late sixties to early seventies, but I forget the exact season or details, but I do remember that we were having a VG season, until our punter (forget his name) got hurt. Instead of bringing in a new punter we decided to with our great TE, Jackie Smith. Well, Jackie might have been a great TE, but he was the equivalent of a HS punter. And that was a big reason we didn't win the East, that year. Maybe someone, Jeff Golin ?? can provide more info.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What? You are really stretching it to make your point.

Stretching what? The fact Blankenship hasn't signed with the Eagles or the Chiefs? And we're now supposed to believe he's an option for the Cards?

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Stretching what? The fact Blankenship hasn't signed with the Eagles or the Chiefs? And we're now supposed to believe he's an option for the Cards?
So when he came for the tryout he thought Prater was going to be out a long time. (Which I never heard was the case) Then the Cardinals tried to sign him after the tryout and told him Prater was much better and he said I am out of here. Like that guy from Saturday Night Live said years ago. Yea, Yea that’s the ticket….

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So when he came for the tryout he thought Prater was going to be out a long time. (Which I never heard was the case) Then the Cardinals tried to sign him after the tryout and told him Prater was much better and he said I am out of here. Like that guy from Saturday Night Live said years ago. Yea, Yea that’s the ticket….

He would have just been asked for a tryout. Which he would be happy to do with Prater on the last year of his deal at 38 years old.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Honestly doesn’t matter even if he lucked out and made the kick we go to OT. Then Philly drives it down our throat again or we get lucky enough to have another FG and he’s definitely choking if he had to do it twice that dude is trash kicker! Should have been playing aggressively for the win not a tie!
Agree we should’ve been there laying for win. Kliff loves to play for tie.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Maybe.

And that assumes we would have gotten 10 more yards. Just as likely that if he had gotten one more yard for the first, a shot at the sideline for a few yards, a shot at the end zone then attempt a 40 yarder no good
Possibly. But this ignores the momentum we possessed and we’re effectively marching at that juncture.