We lost today because we were unable to sign a competent kicker

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
the bears had a kicker that was a one week rental 2 weeks ago that booted 4 kicks dead center. Forgot his name

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I suppose we will find out today if Prater is on track for this week.

If not, we sign another kicker...right (pun intended)?

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I was hoping we would sign Rodrigo Blankenship. Granted, he missed pretty much the same kick in crunch time week 1 that was part of why he got cut, but he was the only kicker we worked out who had any actual NFL success.
I'm fairly certain that Neil Rackers could get off of his couch and make that kick. I don't follow the NFL kicker availability scene, but there really had to be someone better than Ammendola. Is Zane kicking right now? Seriously.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm fairly certain that Neil Rackers could get off of his couch and make that kick. I don't follow the NFL kicker availability scene, but there really had to be someone better than Ammendola. Is Zane kicking right now? Seriously.
Seriously. How many former college kickers go undrafted each year? There have to be some decent kickers out there somewhere.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Simple why risk the whole season on a yard when you have no timeouts and 3 defenders ready to light you up? Business decision period live to fight another day and the damn kicker should have made it! You had no time outs and everyone knew it he thought he had the first slide quick so next play can be ran. You know they would tackle him then lay on him and try to burn the freaking clock anyway so what’s the benefit, I mean besides you getting to rail on him for being a bitch in your eyes?
I disagree Nashman. I know Kyler's small in stature, but he's gotta put his head down and get tackled AT LEAST in that situation IMO. He does that, I'm certain we're not having this conversation. There's a time to play smart, and there's a time to put it on the line. Jalen Hurts wouldn't have slid, I promise you that. And I get he's bigger. It's the mindset that separates him, and I support K1 btw. Hate to even be angry with him for this.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't go with that Nashman. I know Kyler's small in stature, but he's gotta put his head down and get tackled AT LEAST in that situation. He does that, I'm certain we're not having this conversation. There's a time to play smart, and there's a time to put it on the line. Jalen Hurts wouldn't have slid, I promise you that. And I get he's bigger. It's the mindset that separates him, and I LOVE K1 btw. Hate to even be angry with him for this
K1 was so soft in that situation. He easily could have picked up the first down. Regardless of the down, they should have run another play (or more) anyway.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe we fumble or Kyler throws a pick 6. He is pretty terrible.
Yeah it’s pretty funny all the people criticizing Kyler for sliding. It’s gonna be comical when he lowers his head for a tough extra yard and gets injured. Then the same people will be spewing he’s gotta be smarter than that now our season is over! And acting like if he didn’t slide there let’s say he gets the extra yard or two the defenders fall all over him burn another 6-7 seconds minimum so maybe they get to clocked at 15 sec or so, then what? KK gonna take shots, no he’s not he was obvious in playing for the tie with an unproven kicker. So he probably calls a run play and risks not even getting a good kick off. It’s all risky there with no timeouts.
As bad as it turned out if we stop getting into 14-0 holes it would be a lot easier to contend.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
what worries me most...

Keim has shown a tendency to signing younger players this season... my guess is to try and reduce time lost to injury and the chance to get guys who are still developing so we can benefit from them outperforming their contracts.

we have an antique kicker..... he gets hurt

with all the guys available we bring in a young dude with close to zero NFL experience.

my concern is... it isnt just the injury...they plan to stash this guy after Prater comes back and keep him long term as replacement

or its possible... none of the vet kickers wanted to fly out here to sign on for a two week job with little chance of sticking on a team going nowhere

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suppose we will find out today if Prater is on track for this week.

If not, we sign another kicker...right (pun intended)?
Wrong.

We just signed and are sticking with the absolute worst kicker in the league.

Can’t imagine what could go wrong here…

No team rewards failure like the current Arizona Cardinals.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Wrong.

We just signed and are sticking with the absolute worst kicker in the league.

Can’t imagine what could go wrong here…

No team rewards failure like the current Arizona Cardinals.

Jeez -FLASHBACK to the days of BA (sticking with an obvious problem).

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yeah it’s pretty funny all the people criticizing Kyler for sliding. It’s gonna be comical when he lowers his head for a tough extra yard and gets injured. Then the same people will be spewing he’s gotta be smarter than that now our season is over! And acting like if he didn’t slide there let’s say he gets the extra yard or two the defenders fall all over him burn another 6-7 seconds minimum so maybe they get to clocked at 15 sec or so, then what? KK gonna take shots, no he’s not he was obvious in playing for the tie with an unproven kicker. So he probably calls a run play and risks not even getting a good kick off. It’s all risky there with no timeouts.
As bad as it turned out if we stop getting into 14-0 holes it would be a lot easier to contend.
It's always situational though. 2nd quarter, trailing 14-7, slide by all means. Trailing 20-17 on a game-tying (or winning) drive, then please channel your inner Earl Campbell. I promise you, NO one on this board would have been mad at HIM for ending his season in that manner had that unfortunately happened. Instead, Cardinal fans are livid at him for leaving that play to chance.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jeez -FLASHBACK to the days of BA (sticking with an obvious problem).
right? It’s maddening.

With a move like this, Can you see why some of us give this franchise very little rope to hang itself? And why we’re so frustrated all the time?

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Guy is missing kicks bad pregame and then shanks a very makeable kick at crunch time and yet Keim feels this is the guy. How can Kingsbury just let this happen, or maybe Kingsbury is as big a moron as Keim or scared of Keim, but then again, what the hell is Michael Bidwill thinking... or does he think at all

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Guy is missing kicks bad pregame and then shanks a very makeable kick at crunch time and yet Keim feels this is the guy. How can Kingsbury just let this happen, or maybe Kingsbury is as big a moron as Keim or scared of Keim, but then again, what the hell is Michael Bidwill thinking... or does he think at all
Beyond stupid! Expect nothing less from KK or Kiem honestly…

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
right? It’s maddening.

With a move like this, Can you see why some of us give this franchise very little rope to hang itself? And why we’re so frustrated all the time?
With so little rope, isn't it more sado masochism?

Ragnar

Veteran
Reaction score
Great, just read they signed Ammendola to the squad today (weds)

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson