Watson: Suns plan on playing all 3 guards (Bledsoe, Knight & Booker) at the same time

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That accurately describes my position.

If you believe that the Knight we've seen over the past year is the real Brandon Knight and that's all he'll ever be, it pretty much has to be everybody's position. He has been such a huge disappointment. But I think there's reason to believe he has much more to offer than he's shown so far.

It isn't ironclad evidence but Ryan obviously saw something in him. And there's also the fact that Wade said some very nice things about his play in Milwaukee including going so far as to say he should have been an all star. I don't know about you but the player I've watched hasn't looked anything like an all star. So I'll cling to the hope that he's in there somewhere and when he finally gets healthy and this team comes together, he will no longer scare us each time he takes the court.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you believe that the Knight we've seen over the past year is the real Brandon Knight and that's all he'll ever be, it pretty much has to be everybody's position. He has been such a huge disappointment. But I think there's reason to believe he has much more to offer than he's shown so far.

It isn't ironclad evidence but Ryan obviously saw something in him. And there's also the fact that Wade said some very nice things about his play in Milwaukee including going so far as to say he should have been an all star. I don't know about you but the player I've watched hasn't looked anything like an all star. So I'll cling to the hope that he's in there somewhere and when he finally gets healthy and this team comes together, he will no longer scare us each time he takes the court.

I want to believe he can do better, but he hasn't so far. The more time passes and the more he reverts to selfish, one on one, hero ball, the more doubtful I am that he will change.

Its basketball 101, pass to the guy who has a better shot than you. I really would love to hear what Watson really thinks about Knight's play. The future of the NBA is shooting, positionless players, but also PASSING AND TEAM BALL. That is one of the things that characterizes the Warriors. Clearing out and taking the ball 1 on 1 is not entertaining to me at all, and its not the most effective way to win basketball games.

Knight is also small for the 2 position. It creates mismatches in favor of the oppositon when he plays with Bledsoe. Let's say Bogdan comes over, or the Suns draft a two like Hield. Both of those players have more size than Knight. I know Hield is only an inch taller, but he just plays bigger. He has a bigger body. I would prefer to see Bled/Booker/Bogdan or Bled/Booker/Hield.

To me, Bled and Knight have some of the same issues. They take it too much themselves to be a distributor. Certainly Knight does this more than Bledsoe.

I could see Knight coming off the bench to score points, like Vinnie Johnson did with Detroit.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3 guard play. I can't wait.

That's today's NBA. Ten years ago it might have been frowned upon but in this age of position-less basketball almost every team has at least one lineup that is non-traditional.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's today's NBA. Ten years ago it might have been frowned upon but in this age of position-less basketball almost every team has at least one lineup that is non-traditional.

I agree, but I'm very skeptical that it would work with Knight out there. The purpose of that style of basketball it to open up easy shots and passing lanes. As discussed here often, Knight's shot selection and "sharing" leave a lot to be desired.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Oh...I agree with that. However, having a lineup you trot out there for a pick me up is not exactly what the Suns have in mind I bet. Two different things.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
It isn't ironclad evidence but Ryan obviously saw something in him. And there's also the fact that Wade said some very nice things about his play in Milwaukee including going so far as to say he should have been an all star.

So Knight's saving graces are that (a) the Suns' inexperienced GM overpaid for him in a panic trade and (b) Dwyane Wade said something nice about him once? Really?

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
So Knight's saving graces are that (a) the Suns' inexperienced GM overpaid for him in a panic trade and (b) Dwyane Wade said something nice about him once? Really?

Well, McD has a good track record when it comes to talent evaluation (granted, especially when it comes to the draft) so I think that's what Steve is talking about. I would normally concede that point, but in Knight's case, I worry that Knight trade was a jerk-reaction to losing Dragic and Thomas, which seems more likely to me.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Well, McD has a good track record when it comes to talent evaluation (granted, especially when it comes to the draft)

I think you have to be pretty glass-half-full to take that position. He has done well in the draft, but otherwise, his track record looks pretty mediocre. He overvalued Bledsoe and severely overvalued Knight. He incorrectly projected that having the Morrises together would enhance their value rather than detract from it. He hasn't figured out how to move on from Tucker. He saw more in Teletovic than is there, and why he pursued Weems is a complete mystery. There have been some good moves too, but there's nothing about his overall record that looks particularly strong to me.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no problems with the way Mirza Teletovic has played as a backup PF for the Suns. I hope the Suns can re-sign him in free agency.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Well, McD has a good track record when it comes to talent evaluation (granted, especially when it comes to the draft) so I think that's what Steve is talking about. I would normally concede that point, but in Knight's case, I worry that Knight trade was a jerk-reaction to losing Dragic and Thomas, which seems more likely to me.

I agree and at the time it came down I interpreted the Knight trade the same way - and hated it, mainly because it meant McD was pursuing the same old plan of playing two combo guards as our starting backcourt - but referring to it as 'starting two PGs'.

Just think, if we'd kept IT and not traded for BK we'd have a backcourt with IT and Booker starting and Bledsoe coming off the bench (when healthy) plus we'd have Ennis to back up the point and the Lakers pick. Of course our pick wouldn't have been anything great since we'd have been in the lower middle of the pack. I'm not a huge IT fan but at least he has a respectable Asst/TO ratio - and he does score a bunch with good shooting stats.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

The Dwayne Wade thing is probably the highlight of Knight's basketball career.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Dwayne Wade thing is probably the highlight of Knight's basketball career.

It probably is. But I've yet to see anything from Knight that would have warranted Wade's suggestion that Knight should be his all star replacement. Maybe it was just the best 3 months of Brandon's career, never to be repeated. We'll see.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It probably is. But I've yet to see anything from Knight that would have warranted Wade's suggestion that Knight should be his all star replacement. Maybe it was just the best 3 months of Brandon's career, never to be repeated. We'll see.

Wade said that because Knight was having somewhat of a hot streak at that point and also because Knight is from Florida.

The quote was actually "Since I can't play in it, I think my replacement should be another guy that's at least from Florida in BKnight" or something like that.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wade said that because Knight was having somewhat of a hot streak at that point and also because Knight is from Florida.

The quote was actually "Since I can't play in it, I think my replacement should be another guy that's at least from Florida in BKnight" or something like that.

Not exactly. He mentioned the Florida connection but he also said Knight was playing great and was leading a team that was not expected to do well.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I agree and at the time it came down I interpreted the Knight trade the same way - and hated it, mainly because it meant McD was pursuing the same old plan of playing two combo guards as our starting backcourt - but referring to it as 'starting two PGs'.

Just think, if we'd kept IT and not traded for BK we'd have a backcourt with IT and Booker starting and Bledsoe coming off the bench (when healthy) plus we'd have Ennis to back up the point and the Lakers pick. Of course our pick wouldn't have been anything great since we'd have been in the lower middle of the pack. I'm not a huge IT fan but at least he has a respectable Asst/TO ratio - and he does score a bunch with good shooting stats.

No way would Bledsoe accept playing behind IT/ Booker. I do agree that I'd prefer IT to Knight.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Not exactly. He mentioned the Florida connection but he also said Knight was playing great and was leading a team that was not expected to do well.

He did say that but like I said, he did say that it would be cool if a Miami guy replaced another Miami guy. I wonder if he would have been so supporting of Knight if he wasn't from Miami.

Regardless its one comment from Wade...that's all it really is. I remember Durant saying that Dragic should have been playing in the All Star game that same year and while I agreed with KD, no way would I have given up the Lakers pick for a player like Dragic either.

Errntknght

Reaction score
No way would Bledsoe accept playing behind IT/ Booker. I do agree that I'd prefer IT to Knight.

Sooner or later Bled is going to have to accept the facts of life. He's got bad knees and needs to keep his playing time down. Heck, the team is doing him a favor if they bring him off the bench. No team is going to promise him a starting role when he misses forty percent or so of his games - so where is going to run off to?

JustWinBaby

Veteran
Reaction score
I don't like Brandon Knight like most everyone else on this planet. However I think we are stuck with him.

I actually think Bledsoe, Knight and Booker on the court at the same time is worth a shot and could be a good thing for the following reasons:

1. That would hopefully mean that we have moved on from Tucker.

2. It would give both Knight and Bledsoe another great option to pass the ball to rather than just hoisting up a brick. How many wide opens threes did Tucker brick when wide open early in the season?

3. Booker could be that point forward I believe we could really use and I think he could be fantastic in that role. While size could be an issue his quickness, passing ability and shooting could be devastating from the three.

My only concern is rebounding and defense. We really could use the Matrix and or Amare added to this group. I wish Warren were a better defender and rebounder. If he does not improve in those areas I think he will struggle to get playing time.

Len appears to be a capable rebounder on some nights but we need more than just him. I have no trust in Chandler's ability going forward so we need to either complement this position in the draft or free agency. Sabonis seems to be a possible option as well as several other potential draft picks. Not convinced on anyone in particular but Brice Johnson appears to bring some of what I see we need as well.

The off season cannot start soon enough.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't like Brandon Knight like most everyone else on this planet. However I think we are stuck with him.

I actually think Bledsoe, Knight and Booker on the court at the same time is worth a shot and could be a good thing for the following reasons:

1. That would hopefully mean that we have moved on from Tucker.

2. It would give both Knight and Bledsoe another great option to pass the ball to rather than just hoisting up a brick. How many wide opens threes did Tucker brick when wide open early in the season?

3. Booker could be that point forward I believe we could really use and I think he could be fantastic in that role. While size could be an issue his quickness, passing ability and shooting could be devastating from the three.

My only concern is rebounding and defense. We really could use the Matrix and or Amare added to this group. I wish Warren were a better defender and rebounder. If he does not improve in those areas I think he will struggle to get playing time.

Len appears to be a capable rebounder on some nights but we need more than just him. I have no trust in Chandler's ability going forward so we need to either complement this position in the draft or free agency. Sabonis seems to be a possible option as well as several other potential draft picks. Not convinced on anyone in particular but Brice Johnson appears to bring some of what I see we need as well.

The off season cannot start soon enough.

We agree, the Suns are likely to keep Bledsoe Knight and Booker unless the Suns find a market for Knight. The Suns may start this unit but I think ultimately Knight will have to accept coming off the bench.

IMO, playing Bledsoe, Knight and Booker together is a situation type thing such as closing the game. I've said it way to often, but the Suns need a passing PG on the team. Bledsoe is the best PG on the team but the Suns are only one injury away from being without a PG. The Suns needs someone to run team should Bledsoe go down. Price is not the answer as we have seen this season. He is a good defensive player and he can score but he is not adept at running the team. I have no problem keeping him as a third PG.

Basically what I'm saying, add a PG that run the team through the draft, FA or whatever and the Suns should still be able to play well with Booker, Knight and perhaps Bogdanovic at guard. We do not really know how well Booker can play PG or point forward. I guess I believe in having insurance for Bledsoe.

Hopefully the Suns should be able to strengthen the team at PF or even at center come draft time. Players like Brice Johnson or even Sabonis (not a huge fan) should help the Suns on the boards.

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

Bledsoe is a better player than IT.

And what about that respectable Asst/TO ratio? Ever checked out this guy named Steph Curry?

Sooner or later Bled is going to have to accept the facts of life. He's got bad knees and needs to keep his playing time down. Heck, the team is doing him a favor if they bring him off the bench. No team is going to promise him a starting role when he misses forty percent or so of his games - so where is going to run off to?

Wrong, his knees are not "damaged". He had 2 meniscus repairs, 1 for each knee. Both times they took the passive approach which resulted in a long downtime but 100% recovery expectation. In fact it was said that the meniscus should be stronger than before.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Bledsoe is a better player than IT.

Better defender sure, but that's it. Overall player? IT in a landslide.

I watched IT destroy the Warriors vaunted defense in the 2nd half on Friday on their home court and he single handedly led the Celtics to win in Oracle which is something never done before during this season.

I don't think Bledsoe can carry the Suns to those heights ala leading the team to beating the best team in basketball history to their only loss on their home court.

Not to mention that IT is much, much, much more reliable than Bledsoe as well who may very well take the Derrick Rose's injury tag with another season ending injury next season.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Simply not true.

Do you think any Celtics would rather them have Bledsoe than IT? Hell no.

I think Ainge would die from laughing if McD called and offered Bledsoe for IT deal.

IT has turned into an All Star and one of the top PGs in the league. Look at that Celtics roster, look where IT's taken them. Their next best players on the Celtics are players like Bradley, Smart, Turner, etc none of them who can be relied on as alternate options to scoring.

Me saying IT is better than Bledsoe isn't based on stats, its based on where he's taken the Celtics and that roster which isn't exactly overloaded with talent. I know the counter argument will be that Bledsoe doesn't have a roster with much talent either and that's true but he hasn't exactly taken this team anywhere.

And he really can't be relied on to take this team anywhere either due to his injuries.

Durability is important to me when I rank/compare players.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Do you think any Celtics would rather them have Bledsoe than IT? Hell no.

I think Ainge would die from laughing if McD called and offered Bledsoe for IT deal.

IT has turned into an All Star and one of the top PGs in the league. Look at that Celtics roster, look where IT's taken them. Their next best players on the Celtics are players like Bradley, Smart, Turner, etc none of them who can be relied on as alternate options to scoring.

Me saying IT is better than Bledsoe isn't based on stats, its based on where he's taken the Celtics and that roster which isn't exactly overloaded with talent. I know the counter argument will be that Bledsoe doesn't have a roster with much talent either and that's true but he hasn't exactly taken this team anywhere.

And he really can't be relied on to take this team anywhere either due to his injuries.

Durability is important to me when I rank/compare players.

How can anyone who has watched this team question Bledsoe's impact? I don't really consider many of your posts rational but this is a study in stupidity. Just look at the team's record with and without him. Look how the 13/14 team tumbled out of the playoffs without him. That team probably wins 55 games if he doesn't get hurt. Look how this team went from merely struggling to being the arguably the worst team in the league when he went down.

They are of similar offensive ability and Bledsoe is worlds better as a defender. The only thing Thomas has on Bledsoe is durability.

Furthermore, this is all really funny coming from you, as you judged last year that we'd be lucky to give Thomas away.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort