Watson: Suns plan on playing all 3 guards (Bledsoe, Knight & Booker) at the same time

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I very much doubt that all three will play any minute together because one will get dealt, most likely Knight.

That is unless the Suns can find absolutely no fair deal.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Which is why I said, "I am not advocating that, but that would be the way for the GM to continue his obsession and time will prove if it still is."

My suggestion was that the GM might continue his obsession of two tweener Guards which would necessitate either benching Booker (hardly) or moving him to Small Forward, as the tallest of the three Guards.

It was reported a few days ago that Booker might be that night's starting SF. 'Planting the seed?

Not out of the starting lineup. Out of the pure Shooting Guard spot.

If we are still stuck with both Bledsoe and Knight next season, I would not put it past the Suns to choose the option of starting the two of them and Booker.

As I said, I do not advocate it!!! But I wouldn't put it past the Suns. Sarver's only priority is filling more seats in the stands. Obviously, he couldn't care less about the technical aspect of the game.

Good job on calling it BC :thumbup:

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
While I don't love the three guard lineup idea, I was really impressed with Watson in that interview. He seems like a real stand-up guy, and that is a huge part of what this organization needs right now.

I particularly liked how he talked about Booker and how dialed in he seems to be on the emotional aspects of dealing with young players. I don't think it's a coincidence that Russell's immature actions have coincided with a coach in Scott who seems to be struggling to relate with him.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
To be fair, Booker is listed as being an inch taller than PJ Tucker, so putting him as a smallish SF isn't exactly unprecedented. He doesn't have TJ Warren's size (6'8"), but I would say Booker is more skilled than Warren at the SF position.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
To be fair, Booker is listed as being an inch taller than PJ Tucker, so putting him as a smallish SF isn't exactly unprecedented. He doesn't have TJ Warren's size (6'8"), but I would say Booker is more skilled than Warren at the SF position.

I know where this is going, and no thanks.

Keep Booker at SG and throw Knight out.

Last edited:

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I know where this going, and no thanks.

Keep Booker at SG and throw Knight out.

Yeah, I would much rather have Booker at 2 and Warren at 3, than Knight at 2 and Booker at 3. Knight is an awful player. Booker and TJ need to play their natural positions.

I am assuming Watson was being polite and diplomatic.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
I very much doubt that all three will play any minute together because one will get dealt, most likely Knight.

That is unless the Suns can find absolutely no fair deal.

"We are going to nurture Markieff."
"Markieff is part of the future of this team"

Gets traded a week later

This is coach speak - no more, no less. It likely means absolutely nothing

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I liked the interview overall other than this part. I did find it hypercritical of Watson though when says that Ray Allen was traded to let Durant develop and then I think Wolf smartly asked "Won't one of Knight or Bledsoe have to be traded to let Booker develop? in a similar way" and he responds by saying that Bledsoe is a "great facilitator" and that neither Knight nor Bledsoe are ball dominant so it wouldn't be an issue for Booker.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BC's head just exploded... and he probably didn't even read this yet.

and that plan is ASININE if there's any merit to it.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the big deal is, it's always been assumed we'd see the 3 of them out there together. Ryan mentioned it, it's been talked about here since at least the summer league and it makes a lot of sense especially in todays NBA. The question isn't so much can the 3 of them play together, it's whether Knight can really play like a legit shooting guard.

Everyone says "Brandon is not a 1 he's a 2" but that might be more a reflection of what he lacks as the floor leader rather than what he brings as a shooting guard. But if he can fill that role as a shooting guard, the 3 of them should be able to work together just fine.

Besides, I think Watson was talking about occasionally closing out games with them. It's not at all unusual to try and put your best weapons out there at the end of games. It's not like he was suggesting it would be our standard lineup.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Earl Watson's vision may include the possibility of playing Bledsoe, Knight and Booker together it does not necessarily mean it will happen, at least all of the time. This is his vision. He wants the guards to buy into it. However, I think one of those guards has to be willing to come off the bench to make it work long term.

“The future of the guard position has to be a collective vision; coaching staff, management, ownership,” he told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Thursday morning. “Far too many times programs allow each sector to throw out a different vision. There’s no balance, no continuity.

The following quote would be more likely to happen is having Bledsoe, Knight and Booker close games together.

“So, why can’t small ball extend to the three, to the small forward position? If Devin Booker becomes stronger in the future, eventually those three could potentially close games. I’m not saying who starts and comes off the bench, but those three could close games.”

I can buy into this idea much more than those three guards starting.

See the article by Adam Green and a link to the video below if anyone wants to watch it .

http://arizonasports.com/story/613524/earl-watson-bledsoe-knight-and-booker-are-suns-future/

Last edited:

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

AND they'll probably draft Hield who is mature and ready to play significant minutes.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

If my head were going to explode, it would have been when I predicted it. Seriously, I had no doubt.

Guys, this is further proof that Sarver and McDonough are managing an NBA basketball team with obsessions rather than common sense.

'Just another combination to condone their Guard-heavy decisions rather than correct them. Just another combination. Think about it. Three Guards on the floor and their two smallest are the worst facilitators. Picture us trying to play defense.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the big deal is, it's always been assumed we'd see the 3 of them out there together. Ryan mentioned it, it's been talked about here since at least the summer league and it makes a lot of sense especially in todays NBA. The question isn't so much can the 3 of them play together, it's whether Knight can really play like a legit shooting guard.

Everyone says "Brandon is not a 1 he's a 2" but that might be more a reflection of what he lacks as the floor leader rather than what he brings as a shooting guard. But if he can fill that role as a shooting guard, the 3 of them should be able to work together just fine.

Besides, I think Watson was talking about occasionally closing out games with them. It's not at all unusual to try and put your best weapons out there at the end of games. It's not like he was suggesting it would be our standard lineup.

I think we are in agreement.

Why wouldn't a coach consider playing his best three players at closing time if the match-ups allow?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The biggest problem I have with this is that Knight is a black hole. He does not take good shots, plays inefficiently and effectively makes everyone around him worse.

Who do I want on the floor? Warren or Knight? I want Warren, and it's not close.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The biggest problem I have with this is that Knight is a black hole. He does not take good shots, plays inefficiently and effectively makes everyone around him worse.

Who do I want on the floor? Warren or Knight? I want Warren, and it's not close.

Sure but then your problem isn't with the idea of playing the 3 guards together it's with playing Knight at all.

I'm going to withhold judgement on Knight until we see him in a more representative lineup. Right now he's not only dealing with injuries, he's playing out of position (we hope) and without much talent around him. Nobody likes what we've seen from him so far but IMO if that's all he was we'd have never traded for him. He has to have more than he's shown. He just has to. PLEASE, let there be more to him.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
AND they'll probably draft Hield who is mature and ready to play significant minutes.

Oh I don't doubt it. And then we will see a lineup of Bledsoe/Knight/Hield/Booker and maybe Len or Chandler (if we're lucky).

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

That's a bit harsh.

Knight has totally lost himself after Bledsoe going down and partially probably due to his injuries.

Till the Suns looked like an NBA team (in November and some in December) Knight averaged 22 points and almost 40 3P%.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sure but then your problem isn't with the idea of playing the 3 guards together it's with playing Knight at all.

I'm going to withhold judgement on Knight until we see him in a more representative lineup. Right now he's not only dealing with injuries, he's playing out of position (we hope) and without much talent around him. Nobody likes what we've seen from him so far but IMO if that's all he was we'd have never traded for him. He has to have more than he's shown. He just has to. PLEASE, let there be more to him.

that would be correct. I would not mind seeing, say, Buddy Hield in a 3 guard lineup for a time.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
In the interview Watson said that he did not understand as a player why Seattle traded Ray Allen for Jeff Green but now as a coach he realized that they did it to make room for Durant to grow.

That does not sound like something someone would say who plans on playing Bledsoe, Knight and Booker together.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
For all the hate Knight is getting he is still a 20/5/5 player at just 24 years old who could make the next jump any season.

As hcsilla said, before the injury to Bledsoe Knight was averaging 20/5/5 at very effective shooting percentages. His PER was close to 20 which is way above average for a guard.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In the interview Watson said that he did not understand as a player why Seattle traded Ray Allen for Jeff Green but now as a coach he realized that they did it to make room for Durant to grow.

That does not sound like something someone would say who plans on playing Bledsoe, Knight and Booker together.

Sound like they are worried fans are somehow attached to Knight.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For all the hate Knight is getting he is still a 20/5/5 player at just 24 years old who could make the next jump any season.

As hcsilla said, before the injury to Bledsoe Knight was averaging 20/5/5 at very effective shooting percentages. His PER was close to 20 which is way above average for a guard.

His PER was above 20, then he reverted to being himself. What's so frustrating about Knight is that his problems are so fixable. He is a smart person. He should be able to get it.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

That accurately describes my position.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard