Watching the Twins succeed from afar.....

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mikal had a star making performance today vs Orlando. Had 26 points in the 1st quarter, single handedly outscoring Orlando that quarter. Finished with 42 in a W for the Nets. He had 3 blocks, 1 steal, 5 boards, and 3 assists to go with 15-18 from the FT stripe. 3-6 from 3. 12-20 overall.

He's has some good games but never really asserted himself like that before. Good for him.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Mikal had a star making performance today vs Orlando. Had 26 points in the 1st quarter, single handedly outscoring Orlando that quarter. Finished with 42 in a W for the Nets. He had 3 blocks, 1 steal, 5 boards, and 3 assists to go with 15-18 from the FT stripe. 3-6 from 3. 12-20 overall.

He's has some good games but never really asserted himself like that before. Good for him.
He had a handful of these performances after the trade last season. It's too bad he can't find that assertiveness more consistently because he could easily average 27+ if he did.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bridges development of his game to this extent is definitely a level I never expecting him to get to.

Alternatively, I also didn’t expect Cam to plateau at where he’s been the last three seasons.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Bridges development of his game to this extent is definitely a level I never expecting him to get to.

Alternatively, I also didn’t expect Cam to plateau at where he’s been the last three seasons.
He's still a good player. Just Bridges taking it up a notch!

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score

Easy to forget two of the knocks on Cam coming into the draft: namely that he was an "old" rookie and had a bit of a ceiling, and that he had an injury history. Both of those factors may be why he hasn't really progressed as much as one would expect.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I so miss Mikal Bridges and Cam Johnson. It's water under the bridge, but I would never have traded Bridges.
I was only willing to do it because even at his age, KD is better than Bridges imho. Just last game as an example, some of those blocks and defensive plays by KD, let alone the offense he provides, it was worth the trade to me.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Easy to forget two of the knocks on Cam coming into the draft: namely that he was an "old" rookie and had a bit of a ceiling, and that he had an injury history. Both of those factors may be why he hasn't really progressed as much as one would expect.
Actually I think he's progressed nicely. Keep in mind, in addition to the two "knocks" against him that you mentioned, many people doubted he was even NBA caliber. To me, he's progressed to the point he's proven that he belongs in the league. He's a very nice role player when he's fully healthy but he's injury prone and I don't see that ever going away.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Actually I think he's progressed nicely. Keep in mind, in addition to the two "knocks" against him that you mentioned, many people doubted he was even NBA caliber. To me, he's progressed to the point he's proven that he belongs in the NBA. He's a very nice role player when he's fully healthy but he's injury prone and I don't see that ever going away.
I think he can eventually beat the injury thing. You get a guy like him that can make big plays, even if he can't carry a team, he does have NBA value.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he can eventually beat the injury thing. You get a guy like him that can make big plays, even if he can't carry a team, he does have NBA value.
That would be great, he's one of the more likable NBA players today. But I suspect his team just needs to accept that about a quarter of the time he's going to be either sidelined or hampered by injury. As a comparison, during CamJ's NBA career, he's played in more than a hundred fewer games than Mikal Bridges has.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
That would be great, he's one of the more likable NBA players today. But I suspect his team just needs to accept that about a quarter of the time he's going to be either sidelined or hampered by injury. As a comparison, during CamJ's NBA career, he's played in more than a hundred fewer games than Mikal Bridges has.
You mean 100 fewer than possible? LOL! Bridges is not a good comparison for anybody.

Raindog

Reaction score
Actually I think he's progressed nicely. Keep in mind, in addition to the two "knocks" against him that you mentioned, many people doubted he was even NBA caliber. To me, he's progressed to the point he's proven that he belongs in the league. He's a very nice role player when he's fully healthy but he's injury prone and I don't see that ever going away.
He's been fine... certainly better than I expected when we drafted him. But I was responding to Cheesebeef's quandary as to why he has seemed to have plateaued over the last couple seasons. Injuries have definitely played a role, and it also certainly seems possible that he may not progress beyond what he is right now due to meeting his ceiling. Not that he's bad at all, but just what he is, is all he will ever be. Time will tell, I guess.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You mean 100 fewer than possible? LOL! Bridges is not a good comparison for anybody.
True but still, playing in more than a hundred fewer than possible in a span of just 328 games is a real issue. And that doesn't count the time it takes him to get back up to speed after each of his recoveries. He wasn't as slow to get into rhythm as CamP was but he didn't usually hit the ground running either.

In many ways, having a bunch of lesser injuries is worse than one major one. He's had a couple major injuries (torn meniscus and a shoulder injury that cost him a season in college) but he's also been beset by ankle, knee, hamstring, thigh and low back problems.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep on doing it Mikal.

"Mikal Bridges is averaging 26 points on 53/52/87 shooting splits over his last 11 games."

By Erik Slater

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Keep on doing it Mikal.

"Mikal Bridges is averaging 26 points on 53/52/87 shooting splits over his last 11 games."

By Erik Slater

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

His recent increase in productivity just so happened to coincide with Cam Thomas' injury.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His recent increase in productivity just so happened to coincide with Cam Thomas' injury.

Maybe so. I don't watch the Nets much. I know Bridges was scoring well for the Nets last season as well.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's fair to say what Bridges was doing last year was no fluke. I still miss Bridges but going to a new team as the primary scorer is what he needed.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Cam Thomas has been back since the end of November? He's ridiculously inconsistent as well. His game log is quite confusing. He'll go off and drop 40+ and then shoot 20% and barely hit double figures scoring the next game. He's a microwave scorer off the bench being used as a starter in Brooklyn, which hasn't helped his development or the team.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cam Thomas has been back since the end of November? He's ridiculously inconsistent as well. His game log is quite confusing. He'll go off and drop 40+ and then shoot 20% and barely hit double figures scoring the next game. He's a microwave scorer off the bench being used as a starter in Brooklyn, which hasn't helped his development or the team.

The games when he is hot are virtually all losses, the games when he scores less, they win.

IMO, the problem is that when Thomas is shooting well he freezes everyone else out of the offense.

Raindog

Reaction score
The games when he is hot are virtually all losses, the games when he scores less, they win.

IMO, the problem is that when Thomas is shooting well he freezes everyone else out of the offense.
There are several guys like that around the league, and most have been well documented here: Jerami Grant, Christian Wood, Kelly Oubre, Jordan Poole, Kyle Kuzma (lucky Wizards to have two), etc., etc.

1982baskets

Veteran
Reaction score
There's a saying - depth buys you regular season wins, cores/stars win you championships. KD is a better core player to have. At the same time, I completely agree that Cam/Mikal likely help us to a better than 13-10 record right now, and those draft picks could have been paired with CP3, or some other contract to get a more depth.

It all comes down to this - THe Suns have had many many great regular season teams. They've never had a scorer like Durant, not at least at that position, with all due respect to all the great players in the past. Durant is a proven winner as a #1A option, to another co-star. Book and Durant, just by being 1 and 1A, are enough to win you a title IF the pieces around them are good enough.

Here's our issue, the rest of our roster, the Beal trade etc. it may not be good enough. That's why we may regret letting those guys go. However just in terms of looking at it from a title perspective, I think we got closer to a ring with this trade. Especially in a playoff setting with match ups and all those little things that come into play. The real issue is our team lacks depth and is way too top heavy. The way this roster was put together, unless the 3 stars stay healthy, we won't have a strong regular season. We just don't have enough talented players after them. Other teams have better depth than us, more weapons and their stars seem to stay healthier.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thomas didn't play much at the end of last season.

Mikal scores just as much without Cam as he does with him. He averaged 24.8 ppg as a Net. Without Cam he averages 24.4 ppg. So technically he scores better with Cam, averaging 25.0 ppg. There have been 17 games since Mikal went to Brooklyn where Cam hasn't played.

Not sure why you're pushing that narrative. Cam has virtually no effect on Mikal's game.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard