Washington vs. Hawaii

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
If Hawaii loses we're int he BCS for sure, otherwise I think a Holiday Bowl is the most likely destination. Still a fantasssssstic season.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
BC lost and WV lost to one of the worst teams in the country.

OP
OP
N

Nasser22

Reaction score
Oklahoma and Kansas will play in the Fiesta unless Hawaii frees up another spot. WVU will not drop 10 spots for a close loss to any team. And they did win their conference.

quando

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You don't want two teams in the same conference playing in a bowl game

OP
OP
N

Nasser22

Reaction score
Kansas and Oklahoma haven't played each other and I think the Fiesta Bowl people might pick those two. Hawaii losing would make it an easy choice though and also make the Pac-10 look good. 14-0 Washington after 7 min. ;)

quando

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Kansas and Oklahoma haven't played each other and I think the Fiesta Bowl people might pick those two. Hawaii losing would make it an easy choice though and also make the Pac-10 look good. 14-0 Washington after 7 min. ;)

I'm with you... When's the last time the Warriors lost at home :eek:I still think ASU could pull some strings and get into Fiesta regardless

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
ASU all but sealed their spot in the Fiesta Bowl with the win.

If Hawaii loses tonight, all it really does is puts Illinois in the BCS. This game has no effect on ASU's BCS chances.

OP
OP
N

Nasser22

Reaction score
Who would've been left out if it wasn't us? I think they would chose Kansas over ASU....unless I was right in thinking two days ago that only two teams from each conference can make it? With all the discussion about who they'd pick though, I doubt it. This just pretty much takes away any discussion...don't think Illinois will be in though.

21-0 Washington, go Pac-10!

Last edited:

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A conference can only send two teams to the BCS. I think you're all worrying for nothing.

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
Who would've been left out if it wasn't us? I think they would chose Kansas over ASU....unless I was right in thinking two days ago that only two teams from each conference can make it? With all the discussion about who they'd pick though, I doubt it. This just pretty much takes away any discussion...don't think Illinois will be in though.

The Missouri- Oklahoma loser would have gotten the squeeze, which is what's going to play out.

OP
OP
N

Nasser22

Reaction score
The Missouri- Oklahoma loser would have gotten the squeeze, which is what's going to play out.

Missouri's supposed to drop below Kansas, who they beat, losing to a team that was ranked higher than Kansas? Interesting...

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
Then what was the discussion all about during our game, and what Gambo was saying?

I have no clue what Gambo was saying, but if he claimed that Missouri, Kansas and Oklahoma would all make the BCS, he grossly forgot to do his homework.

Only two teams from the same conference can make a BCS Bowl appearance. Thats set in stone in terms of the overall rules of the BCS.

Coming in to tonight, what was set was:

Ohio State
West Virginia
LSU/Tennessee winner
Missouri/Oklahoma winner
Boston College/Virginia Tech winner
USC (or ASU if USC lost; UCLA they won and ASU lost)

Were set in stone with automatic bids due to conference tie ins.

The at-larges were

Kansas
Georgia
ASU
Hawaii.

Now that things have played out as is..

Automatic Bids

Ohio State
West Virginia
LSU
Oklahoma
Virginia Tech
USC

At-Large

Arizona State
Georgia
Kansas
Hawaii/Illinois (If Hawaii comes back, they get the bid)

ASU was NEVER in danger of missing the BCS unless they would have lost to Arizona.

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
I don't think that ASU's inclusion in the BCS was ever in doubt after their win tonight over UA, however I think there's a chance that they may not go to the Fiesta Bowl.

The Fiesta Bowl loses a lot of hotel and tourism revenue by having a local team in the game. If Hawaii loses, it gives them a chance to take Oklahoma and Kansas without displacing ASU. The Devils could then go to the Sugar Bowl in the spot that was projected by Hawaii.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Why would Illinois only be left out if Hawaii loses? The Rose Bowl may want to replace Ohio State with another Big Ten team.
So the at large teams could be Kansas, Georgia, Illinois and Hawaii, which would leave ASU out.

Last edited:

HooverDam

Reaction score
I don't think that ASU's inclusion in the BCS was ever in doubt after their win tonight over UA, however I think there's a chance that they may not go to the Fiesta Bowl.

The Fiesta Bowl loses a lot of hotel and tourism revenue by having a local team in the game. If Hawaii loses, it gives them a chance to take Oklahoma and Kansas without displacing ASU. The Devils could then go to the Sugar Bowl in the spot that was projected by Hawaii.

Reminder: The Fiesta Bowl is a bowl game, they do not own hotels, rental car companies or anything like that.

The Fiesta Bowls main concern is TV ratings, they will take the team that they think will give them the best story. ASU has a good story, first year with a well known coach, this bowl game was created for them, its the schools first BCS game, et cetera.

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
Reminder: The Fiesta Bowl is a bowl game, they do not own hotels, rental car companies or anything like that.

The Fiesta Bowls main concern is TV ratings, they will take the team that they think will give them the best story. ASU has a good story, first year with a well known coach, this bowl game was created for them, its the schools first BCS game, et cetera.

Bingo.

Not to mention the fact that there would be no concerns whatsoever with the team they have in there selling tickets, being Glendale's a shot up the 101 away for ASU fans.

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
Why would Illinois only be left out if Hawaii loses? The Rose Bowl may want to replace Ohio State with another Big Ten team.
So the at large teams could be Kansas, Georgia, Illinois and Hawaii, which would leave ASU out.

Why would a three loss Illinois jump past a 2 loss ASU?

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Why would a three loss Illinois jump past a 2 loss ASU?

Because the Rose Bowl people like a Big 10/Pac 10 matchup. Also, if ratings are a factor, Illinois has a lot more television sets than Arizona.
Doesn't mean it will happen, it just means that ASU is far from a lock.

Last edited:

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
Because the Rose Bowl people like a Big 10/Pac 10 matchup. Also, if ratings are a factor, Illinois has a lot more television sets than Arizona.
Doesn't mean it will happen, it just means that ASU is far from a lock.

In all cases, you are correct. Nothing is a lock at this point, but I'll say simply for lack of better terminology and throwing anyone under the bus (dropping the so and so told me card), lemme just say ASU may not be a lock, but beating U of A put them pretty damned close to one. At this point, I'll just say I'd be stunned if they WEREN'T one of the at-larges.

Throwing in something else, while the Rose Bowl people like a Big 10/Pac 10 matchup, the Fiesta Bowl people all but stop short of drooling all over themselves over the prospects of having ASU in the game. This is the first real opportunity in modern times that ASU has been in the position to appear in the Fiesta Bowl, and I'd be blown away if they pass up on that.

Lastly, from what I gathered, unless the informee is full of crap (which so far he's been pretty close to accurate in everything he's told me), the only thing keeping ASU from a BCS Bowl bid was a loss to Arizona.

Last edited:

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I won't be. Assuming Hawaii wins, which isn't guaranteed at this point being down 21-28, and the voters don't purposefully tank them, then it will really come down to what the Rose Bowl does. Because they would be losing Ohio State to the championship game, they would get to pick before the Fiesta Bowl. If they pick Illinois then for ASU to play in the Fiesta Bowl, Kansas or Georgia would be left out, and I don't see that happening.

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
With Hawaii winning, I think Illinois gets the squeeze. The Rose Bowl isn't going to pick a three loss team and they're not obligated to pick the conference runner up if the champion goes to the BCS title game.

I see the Rose Bowl selecting Georgia to face USC.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson