Walter Football latest mock

bg7brd

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Walter Football just updated their mock. I think this would be an excellent first 4 rounds for the Cards.

13 - David DeCastro, G, Stanford
81 - Mitchell Schwartz, OT, California
112 - Bruce Irvin, DE/OLB, West Virginia

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Walter Football just updated their mock. I think this would be an excellent first 4 rounds for the Cards.

I am ok with this, though I am not real familiar with Bruce Irvin. Hopefully we would add an ILB and another OT with some of the remaining picks.

sundevilscott

Kaycee's Daddy
Reaction score
Bruce Irvin was a stud JC who originally committed to go to ASU and changed to WVU right at the last moment. Great motor.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Good choices, I agree, Bg7brd.

A combo of DeCastro and Schwartz would be nice!

I've watched a lot of tape on Irvin---he's strictly a speed rusher---looks kind of slight---not a bull rusher by any means, which makes me wonder if he fits the Horton/LeBeau mold.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Problem With Cardinal Mocks...

Our MO has been to draft for value - BPA in round one followed by guys who drop to us in subsequent rounds.

It's near-impossible to scope out in advance who the players will be that get passed by in a higher round (It has to be a gigantic guessing game).

That said - using NFLDraftScout's (uSA Today) board (& assuming no one higher rated falls to us) my Cardinal mock for the first 4 rounds:

1 (13) J Martin OT Sanford (DeCastro gone at #9. I like Martin for us better than Reiff. K Wright a possIbility)

2 (45) Traded (Kolb)

3 (77) Cam Johnson DE UVa (or Almeda Ta'amu NT Wash)

4 (109) James Brown OT Troy (or Douglas Bentley CB La Lafayette)

Last edited:

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'd also be happy with DeCastro, but from what I've read there are both good tackles and good guards in the draft, but a lot more guards. So wouldn't it make sense to go OT in the first and OG in the third? If that were the case what our picks be?

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So wouldn't it make sense to go OT in the first and OG in the third?
The drop off between DeCastro and a 3rd rd. G is HUGE. Yeah, the third round guy might be a good player, but DeCastro is supposed to be "can't-miss."

I think we should be in a pretty good position provided Kuechly is on the Cardinals radar. Either he, DeCastro or Martin should be on the board, I think. Kuechly and DeCastro are my 1a and 1b choices at this point, I think.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The drop off between DeCastro and a 3rd rd. G is HUGE. Yeah, the third round guy might be a good player, but DeCastro is supposed to be "can't-miss."...
Check out the next ranked guy to DeCastro (Cordy Glenn) - clearly not the can't miss OG that DeCastro is, but has the athletic talent and mauler attitude you like in a guard - all he needs is to learn the proper position techniques.

If DeCastro is unavailable, Glenn might be a perfect pick at #77. He might be ready for prime time a year later than DeCastro but you gotta start somewhere.

Mitch

Reaction score
I know this may sound crazy---but---could DeCastro play T for his first couple of years and then kick inside? He's got the size (6-5, 312), toughness, agility and athleticism.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Check out the next ranked guy to DeCastro (Cordy Glenn) - clearly not the can't miss OG that DeCastro is, but has the athletic talent and mauler attitude you like in a guard - all he needs is to learn the proper position techniques.

If DeCastro is unavailable, Glenn might be a perfect pick at #77. He might be ready for prime time a year later than DeCastro but you gotta start somewhere.

Glenn isn't the fit at OG for what the Cardinals do, but you are correct in that there are other OGs that are very good. Both Kelechi Osemele and Amini Silatolu are great, but only Silatolu would be available in round 3 and is a great athlete (can pull).

Mitch

Reaction score

Great call on Cordy Glenn. A tackle at Georgia who has been projected as a RG in the NFL---he's massive but surprisingly athletic---and he played very well at the Senior Bowl. My guess is he will go somewhere between 25-40.

Seandonic

Gotta love that Cardinal red!
Reaction score

Totally agree with this. Of all the mocks I've seen, this one makes the most sense.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
DeCastro might be the O-line equivalent of Patrick Peterson: a potential superstar at his position who can significantly upgrade an area of significant weakness. If he's there, I hope the Cardinals grab him.

Waysouth

Veteran
Reaction score

I like this but would prefer to swap out Schwartz for Bobbie Massie, OT, Ole Miss. I think he is a better fit at RT (more athletic ability).

Give me a development LT in the 5th (Nate Potter, Boise State or Andrew Datko, FSU)

Two high risk/high reward players coming off ACL injuries in the 6th (Josh Chapman, DL, Alabama and Omar Bolden, CB, ASU) who may not be able to contribute until mid-season.

And a special teams contributor in the 7th.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The Cards have used 5 different Guards in just the last 3 seasons making almost no difference in the play of the offensive line. RWells,Faneca,Colledge,Lutui and Hadnot. So maybe a guy like DeCastro is the way to go to get at least one side of the position set.

On the other hand it could indicate that it does make no difference who the Cards put at G and they'd be wasting a first round draft pick on DeCastro. After all Lutui, was a 2nd round pick, started 72 games for the Cards at Right Guard plus 6 playoff games.

My opinion: As long as Russ Grimm is offensive line coach the Cards would be wasting any draft pick used on an offensive lineman no matter how talented the young blocker may be.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Decastro will be available. Guards dont go in the Top 12 (or Top 15) like ever. Even Hutchinson went #17 and he was just as good, if not better a prospect then Decastro.

I want Decastro here and OT in FA and 3rd round.