Vikings Sign Byron Murphy

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
My mentor was a professor for 50 years at the University of Texas, UT is currently ranked in the top forty among all universities worldwide, and UT is the richest university in the world... my mentor still had to pay for a parking permit each semester and still had to pay for meals on campus, so I really do not care if these guys getting paid more to play football do not get meals or the rest of the owners feel a need to or not

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My mentor was a professor for 50 years at the University of Texas, UT is currently ranked in the top forty among all universities worldwide, and UT is the richest university in the world... my mentor still had to pay for a parking permit each semester and still had to pay for meals on campus, so I really do not care if these guys getting paid more to play football do not get meals or the rest of the owners feel a need to or not
If he could sack a QB he would have had his parking and meals free.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
If you believe that’s his “biggest” concern because he responded to a question I think you need to take a step back and maybe consider how much you appear as a jilted lover.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Nope. Never said that. It's kind of embarrassing when you're the only one doing things differently than the other clubs and you should definitely make some changes based on the players' review of your practices. That doesn't mean it's the end of the world and Byron was skipping meals because he couldn't afford to purchase something. Maybe the league and the NFLPA should work some things into their agreements that include what services must be provided for players.
There are good workplaces and bad workplaces in every industry. Weird that you get your feathers ruffled when workplace you root for gets called out on being one of the bad ones. I’d turn your ire on the workplace not the workers who leave it for a better workplace.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Seems like some on here think everything in the stadium should be free and available to all players at any time.
Nope just wish my team provided the type of perks that helps to attract and retain talent and make them feel appreciated whilst working there. This plays in every industry.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
As Shane said, Bidwill is under no obligation to change anything. Personally, if you or I ran a team we would likely at least want to run things like the other teams. Maybe he's wired differently because he inherited the team and they're just running things the way they always have.

As for Murphy's response, I just think if I were a player I'd be happy for my contract and my new place to play, and if I was asked to comment about my previous team and how they do things (anything at all) I'd just say "I am a Viking now. Not going to comment on my previous team. Move on to the next question." Otherwise, you're just going to come off as ungrateful and spiteful like Simeon Rice, Pat Pete, Honey Badger, etc. Be thankful for the team that drafted you, gave you a chance, let you make your name in the league, and helped to get you where you are now.

Sometimes you pull for former Cards' players when they move on and other times you hope they get torched the next time we play them on their new team. Murphy just moved to the latter category for some Cards' fans.
Lame. He didn’t disparage his old club. He did exactly what you said he should, he complimented his new club. #jiltedandangry

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Where I worked, if we wanted coffee (me), food, a little office party, etc., it came out of our pockets. We had to provide our own. No freebies. I made a whole lot less than your football player, a whole lot less.
Did other workplaces in your industry act similarly or were you at a cheap employer? The cards aren’t being compared to your company, they’re being compared to the Vikings.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Except that is the norm, not the exception. If it were the exception, then it would be problematic.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Wasn’t Brit asking for quotes from players where this stuff made a difference? Guess this is exhibit a.
Whoa whoa whoa whoa. This is all going off the rails. The player was asked a question. Does anyone really think he's going to take the time to correct a reporter, or complain about a previous situation? That would have been foolish. He's going to make a joke about it, answer it with a sense of humor and hope to god the reporter moves on and asks relevant questions about football.

The lengths everyone on this board goes to (not just you, Ouchie, just your post I decided to reply to) to take statements and interpret them to fit their own narrative is astounding. All to win an internet fight on a football board.

Imagine spending several moments of your day, every day, taking pot shots at some guy across the Atlantic trying to convince him that his opinions on football are wrong.... imagine.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Your two opinions don't jive.

You think it is embarrassing that the cheap owner does things differently than the other teams, and yet the players that get asked these questions in a survey shouldn't complain about them?

I think he means its embarrassing that we plebes spend one iota of our time debating the struggles between millionaires and billionaires, like we can empathize with either. All of this about whether or not a guy should pay for his dinner, OFF HOURS. Its just patnetly ridiculous, regardless of which side of the fence youre on. And BIM, like most of us can see some nuance and reason to straddle said fence at times.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Has this somehow turned into a players pay for all their meals thing? Because that’s not the case. I don’t think the NFLPA can regulate or mandate any team to feed players that come work out on their own time during the off season???

Yes it’s still cheap btw…. Just wondering what the convo has morphed into and what people’s perceptions are???

The whole thing has gone off the rails.

The team pays for player meals during the season, during times when they should be at the facility. They don;t pay for takeout evening meals (who does this anyway?) or for meals in the offseason.

Paying for takeout meals so millionaires don't have to cook is such a fringe issue. The offseason meals is a bit more so because you should encourage players to train there, but at the same time I doubt players are shunning it because they have to pay for meals.

Big nothing burger in reality and probably the least most important thing on the report.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
The difference between good owners and bad owners is stark. The gap..... wide.

Although a different sport, go look at what Steve Cohen (Owner of the Mets) did for Edwin Diaz after his injury last week and then compare and contrast that with what you think may or may not have happened with Kyler after his injury. I'm willing to bet it wasn't to this level. And players talk, and watch, and wish. Just like every kid in their age bracket.

You may want them to not care about this stuff...... but everyone does. And it proves the family concept he (MB) is always talking about.

You may think it shouldn't matter.... But it does. A lot.

Link to story
Just hours after suffering his freak injury during a celebration with team Puerto Rico, Díaz underwent surgery Thursday afternoon. He has already returned to his home in Port St. Lucie, Florida to begin his recovery. Waiting for him there was a trainer, nutritionist and personal chef, courtesy of Cohen and the Mets.

Cohen called Díaz to tell him, “We’re going to do everything we can to get you better and take care of you.”

“It’s important to have a personal touch,” Cohen said last month when discussing how he tries to build personal relationships with players. “I think that matters, it shows you care.”

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The difference between good owners and bad owners is stark. The gap..... wide.

Although a different sport, go look at what Steve Cohen (Owner of the Mets) did for Edwin Diaz after his injury last week and then compare and contrast that with what you think may or may not have happened with Kyler after his injury. I'm willing to bet it wasn't to this level. And players talk, and watch, and wish. Just like every kid in their age bracket.

You may want them to not care about this stuff...... but everyone does. And it proves the family concept he (MB) is always talking about.

You may think it shouldn't matter.... But it does. A lot.

Link to story
Meh Do you think 99% of “good” owners are doing what you just posted for a player? I highly highly doubt it. Not a real great way to drive home your point. I’m sure Kyler has 100% of everything he needs. Especially considering he isn’t rehabbing and living in a 3rd world country where much of that is probably not easy to come by.

BTW I’m not defending Bidwill here. We mostly know he is cheap. But that example to pull such an extreme case that to support your assertion of how cheap just seems off to me.

Last edited:

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Meh Do you think 99% of “good” owners are doing what you just posted for a player? I highly highly doubt it. Not a real great way to drive home your point. I’m sure Kyler has 100% of everything he needs. Especially considering he isn’t rehabbing and living in a 3rd world country where much of that is probably not easy to come by.
Of course neither of us know. There is some conjecture here but good owner deeds usually leak to the public when they occur.

My question back would be this: If the historically top 10 franchises in your 32 franchise league do this type of stuff..... Can it not be a factor that contributes to their historical success? I think we can all agree that the Pats, Cowboys, Steelers, Niners, Chiefs, Ravens, Rams, Eagles & Broncos have historically spent more, treated their players and coaches better, and have had more lasting long-term success (in-part) because of the whole package they offer to their players.

I'm advocating for completing the circle. Our ownership rarely makes the lasting and long-term effort to compete in all facets of their league or within their peer group. And, in part, they suffer because of it. We all need to understand that this matters, and adjust our expectations accordingly.

The Athletic put us in tier 6 (the bottom tier) in the featherweights category for a reason (#29 overall with Houston, Jacksonville, & Detroit). Link
The players said we were the 2nd worst team in the league for a reason.

9 playoff seasons in the super bowl era. 9.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The whole thing has gone off the rails.

The team pays for player meals during the season, during times when they should be at the facility. They don;t pay for takeout evening meals (who does this anyway?) or for meals in the offseason.

Paying for takeout meals so millionaires don't have to cook is such a fringe issue. The offseason meals is a bit more so because you should encourage players to train there, but at the same time I doubt players are shunning it because they have to pay for meals.

Big nothing burger in reality and probably the least most important thing on the report.
The fact that the Cardinals are the only team that does this is a black eye, my guy. Just admit it sucks to look cheap. A billionaire nickel and diming millionaires.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I mean, if you sit back and bitch and complain about the Cardinals, you are likely to be right 95% of the time.

Chuck Harris is still a hack.
Even Skip Bayless is right one time per month. Maybe. haha

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

FYI: According to QS rankings, which are considered definitive in academic circles, U of Texas, Austin ranked #72 going into the 2022/23 school year.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Yeah @Brian in Mesa and @BritCard I see what you're both saying, and you're both right to an extent, the actual dollars involved are trivial.

But that's not the point.

The point is a basic component of employee happiness, which is, "Do I feel appreciated?", and this analysis is done by the employee to some degree in reference to how other similar employers treat their employees.

If you're a player for the Cardinals, and the Cardinals don't treat you as well as all of the other teams in the NFL, would that affect how much you feel appreciated by the Cardinals? :)

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
The fact that the Cardinals are the only team that does this is a black eye, my guy. Just admit it sucks to look cheap. A billionaire nickel and diming millionaires.
Just curious...do we know for a fact the Cards are the only team, or are they only team players felt compelled to include in their list of complaints? Meaning, could their be other teams that do similar, but nobody has complained because everything else is pretty good?

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
FYI: According to QS rankings, which are considered definitive in academic circles, U of Texas, Austin ranked #72 going into the 2022/23 school year.

Out of probably a couple of thousand universities worldwide, so for a public school, UT is outstanding.

I loath the longhorn sports programs with every ounce of my being (they are the Evil Empire to OU's courageous rebel fighters, and I would cheer for the minions of hell before I cheered for the longhorns), but UT is an excellent academic institution. Not the Ivy League, but probably only a step below.

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Just curious...do we know for a fact the Cards are the only team, or are they only team players felt compelled to include in their list of complaints? Meaning, could their be other teams that do similar, but nobody has complained because everything else is pretty good?
The report specifically stated that.